how do you teach a dog to shake hands?

i been teaching my dog alot of things but to shake hands he wont do it, i need ideas on how to get him to, if anyone knows what i can do please tell me.

i been teaching my dog alot of things but to shake hands he wont do it, i need ideas on how to get him to, if anyone knows what i can do please tell me....
    General Dog Discussions : how do you teach a dog to shake hands?...

• how do you teach a dog to shake hands?

how do you teach a dog to shake hands? General Dog Discussions
      i been teaching my dog alot of things but to shake hands he wont do it, i need ideas on how to get him to, if anyone knows what i can do please tell me.

how do you teach a dog to shake hands? General Dog Discussions
    • With the dog sitting in front of you, hold your hand out flat with a small treat "pinned" between your thumb and your palm.Offer the dog your hand. At first he will sniff and nose at your hand, but eventually he will paw at it.When he paws your hand, give him a treat from your other hand, not the treat he was pawing at. Using a clicker is helpful.Repeat this until he automatically paws at your hand when you offer it.Once this is consistent, offer your dog your hand in the same position (thumb against the palm), but without a treat present in that hand. Always reward the dog with a treat from your other hand. It may be helpful to make your hand smell like treats before this.(The dog should paw your hand without the treat present. If not, work with the treat a bit longer until the dog better understands the idea.)Once the dog consistently works without the treat present, try offering your hand open flat (thumb relaxed and extended out). Once again, reward him afterwards. If the dog will not perform, try gradually moving your thumb out until it is in this position.Introduce the verbal cue "shake" (or another word of your choosing). Say "shake", pause a moment and then offer the dog your hand. Reward when he complies.(The behavior may be shaped further as desired. Some dogs may offer their paw when asked but will also nuzzle your hand simultaneously. Ignore this behavior until the dog is well acquainted with the previous step, then start to reward only after he stops nuzzling your hand. Eventually he will realize that the nosing is fruitless and will cease to do so.)Gradually reduce the frequency of rewards. For example, start to reward the dog only every other time it performs. Then only once every three times. Be careful not to decrease the rewards too quickly, as the dog may become discouraged and stop performing the trick at all.The dog may become bolder and start coming up to you and pawing at you in an attempt to be rewarded. Thus, only reward the dog for pawing when you ask it to, and never when it does so on its own initiation.Another way that works is getting the dog's paw and saying shake while shaking.Hope I helped :)

• What I did was to get him into a sitting position and then I would say "shake" and lift up his right paw. I did this over and over until one time I said shake and he lifted his paw on his own. Then I praised the heck out of him and gave him a treat. It took a little while but he does it all the time now.

• I simply just make them sit in front of me and then I say or give a sign for give me your paw and then I lift his paw with my hand. I do that several times and then give him a treat and say the good dog thing and give him pats to let him know he has pleased me. It only took a few times until he got the idea. It also helps to have another dog that knows the trick and they almost teach it to the new dog. Becareful what you teach to your dog. I kept the runt out of a litter I was fostering. He was so small. Most of the other dogs grew into 30 pounders but this little runt is now 57 pounds and is pawing everything including my leather recliner that I so used to value. It seems that different dogs have different proclivities...like my blue heeler likes to fetch so those types of tricks are easy to teach her. My big runt likes to talk and is doing quite a job of it when he wants something. It's really funny to hear him. Dogs are so great.