Can you turn a CKC registered dog into a AKC registered?

We have a AKC registered dog and we want to breed him, and we were looking in a local newpaper and all we could find was a CKC registered.Should we wait? Or can we switch the dog to AKC? Help?

We have a AKC registered dog and we want to breed him, and we were looking in a local newpaper and all we could find was a CKC registered.Should we wait? Or can we switch the dog to AKC? Help?...
    General Dog Discussions : Can you turn a CKC registered dog into a AKC registered?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can you turn a CKC registered dog into a AKC registered?

Can you turn a CKC registered dog into a AKC registered? General Dog Discussions
      We have a AKC registered dog and we want to breed him, and we were looking in a local newpaper and all we could find was a CKC registered.Should we wait? Or can we switch the dog to AKC? Help?

Can you turn a CKC registered dog into a AKC registered? General Dog Discussions
    • Which "CKC"?Canadian Kennel Club? Yes, it can be registered with the AKC. Canadian Kennel Club is Canada's equivalent to the AKC. (You have to jump through the hoops and do the proper paperwork, but it can be done.)Continental Kennel Club? No, it's a scan registry and will register anything, even mutts. Even their so-called "purebreds" may not be. AKC will not have any pat of Continental Kennel Club registered dogs.===Some helpful links:http://www.learntobreed.com/http://tinyurl.com/2tz76lhttp://www.wonderpuppy.net/breeding.htm.

• you cant switch to akc you can get a akc lp number but only for showing your pups will be nothing meaning not akc or possibly ckc ( not sure what ckc is ) what kind of dog is it that might make some difference in getting a regsistration on him of some kind also you get double registers on some kennel clubs and make the pups even more valuable depends what you are looking to do

• If you mean the Continental Kennel Club when you say CKC, then no. If you mean the Canadian Kennel Club, then I believe you can, although I'm not fully sure how. However, I'm sure someone could tell you how.Just because your dog is registered doesn't mean he should be bred. Is he shown? Does he have excellent bloodlines? Is he at least 2 years of age? Is he on his way to earning his championship? Does he have all health and genetic tests completed? Is he a perfect example of his breed? WHY do you want to breed him? What great qualities does he have to contribute to the breed? What makes your dog so special - so special that he's worthy of being bred to pass along his traits to pups?There are just far too many dogs sitting in shelters at this very moment to be irresponsibly breeding and breeding every dog that we think is perfect. Yes, your dog may be a wonderful family pet and may be beautiful, but that does not mean he fits the breed standard. Whatever you choose to do, please think about it thoroughly, and good luck :)

• No AKC dogs have to start out being AKC registered. You can have AKC, and then become UKC but not the other way around. In CKC, do you meant Canadian or Continental? If it is Continental, it is really laughed at by professional breeders. They are not a reliable source for purebreds.The AKC is the most respected and reliable registry in the world. BUT papers or not does not mean QUALITY, SOUNDNESS, TEMPERAMENT AND HEALTH! Have you had your purebred certified for his breed specific problems yet? You would want to do that and find a proper female before creating a litter. I suggest if you are dead set on breeding, you do your research and certifications before you create one puppy. Be a proud example of your breed...not a backyard breeder!

• No,it can't be done unless you are in Canada! Hey Abbyful, i have an akc reg.Chihuahua identical to yours.Marks,colors and all.I do mean identical.Sorry askar,i was just amazed.Good luck getting the AKC.

• Are you talking about the CONtinental Kennel CLub....cuz its definitely a CON...or are you speaking of the very respected Canadian Kennel Club? If its the later, then yes, they are recognised by AKC and you can take steps to have the dog dual registered. if you are speaking of the CON KC, then no, there is nothing you can do to get crappy dogs from a crappy KC into the AKC. ANd furthermore, I can not even imagine looking in just a local paper to find a proper mate for anything, let alone my precious dogs on whom I spend HOURS each day training and grooming and when a breeding does occur it is after months, if not YEARS of research into the right pedigrees. And this does not even touch the time and money spent, showing and getting all the health tests done. If it were as easy as just turning any dog into an akc registered dog, that certainly wouldnt mean much would it..."well I WANT him registered that way...now he is" AKC maintains strict records and stud books and is the best registry in the US as far as that goes. The parents of the litter must be registered, the litter must be registered, then the individual dogs must be registered, all with AKC. Dogs with AKC can often trace their pedigrees back more than 10, 15 even 20 + generations! Dogs with CON KC dont even have to be purebred for goodness sakes!!! Please reconsider your desire to breed this animal...is he a CH? Has he even been shown at all? Has he been evaluated by top breeders and respected persons within the breed to judge his quality? Do you have a mentor in the breed who is a respected breeder/exhibitor who can help you? has he undergone all the required health testing to screen for genetic defects? if appropriate for the breed, has he undergone his temperment testing and/or obedience training yet? Many of the giant breeds do not even mature until 5 years or more, how old is this dog? OFA xrays can not be done until at least 2 years of age. Dont mean to preach, I just am very passionate about dogs in general and feel very strongly that when breeding is undertaken it should only be done to IMPROVE the breed and not just cuz you "want pups".Hope this helps

• If it's Canadian Kennel Club, yes you can have the dog registered with the AKC. If it's the Continental kennel club. Well no one is interested in a dog that is registered with a foolish club like that which will register anything.

• Yes you can!!! Don't listen to these people. Geesh...All you have to do is show AKC 3 generation pedigree of CKC, Continental Kennel Club, registration and they will take the registration of your pet.