How Do I Get Rid Of The Dog Smell In My Living Room?

I've tried various air fresheners, and even leave the window open for most of the day, but nothing works. He has a crate in the living room, and I've removed all of the bedding because I thought it was that, but no, it's still there. I don't want to…

How Do I Get Rid Of The Dog Smell In My Living Room?

I've tried various air fresheners, and even leave the window open for most of the day, but nothing works. He has a crate in the living room, and I've removed all of the bedding because I thought it was that, but no, it's still there. I don't want to…...
    General Dog Discussions : How Do I Get Rid Of The Dog Smell In My Living Room?...

• That is why I wont have a dog. The smell is too much and there is nothing much you can do about it. Your family will get used to it in time, but the visitors will notice it when they walk through the door.

• I have 2 dogs, and I know the smell you're talking about. Doesn't matter how often they're bathed, there is still just that "dog" smell that never goes away. Repeat, never goes away. I clean my carpets and bathe my dogs monthly. I have candles and air fresheners. However, I know I'll have to replace the carpeting throughout the house whenever I decide to sell because this is where the smell lives. Cleaning the carpets seems to make the most difference. For a few days there is no dog smell, then slowly it begins coming back. Also, clean your furniture along with your carpets. Any textile surface will trap the odor. In my experience, febreeze doesn't work on the pet odor, and I've tried every scent they make. In between carpet cleanings, I use a spray on foam carpet deodorizer which also helps quite a bit (spray on, vacuum up).Good luck

• I have this problem as i own 2 german shepherds who live out side but i do let them in at night for a few hours and the smell lingers from them and i have carpets but im going to get laminated flooring back as it will be so much easier to clean if i was you i would get a floor cleaner and use it every other day and in between also use disinfectant and bleach when you mop the floors daily as this will kill any bacteria and grems that breed from the dog i found this to help also try moving the dog out of the living room and put him outside more and during the summer months he will love it mine have lived out side almost from day 1 they get used to it and their fur helps to keep them warm good luck

• We have our two dogs for close to five years -- and over time, we are immune to the doggie scent!I can understand what you are saying -- although, I tend to think, it might not completely go away. Partly, the smell also comes from their saliva., and as dogs they will lick their face, fur, toys...including the floor! That's my Lhasa Apso for you - we don't know why but he will lick the floor.It might help if you burn some incense -- I do this --- because sometimes we come home, the dogs have unrinated and pooed in their toilet. To help ease the smell, I burn some incense.The joss sticks type - I find, less expensive and have a stronger scent to overcome the doggie smell.

• If your dog hasn't been neutered yet, I'd say that there's a very strong chance that his body chemistry is changing as he gets older. This can cause male dogs to smell very "doggy", as they're advertising their availability as a good mate - and putting the advert out there on the wind. :)You can help your dog's own natural odour by keeping an eye on what you're feeding him. I have two dogs - a greyhound and a saluki. The greyhound doesn't have much of a body smell at all, whereas the saluki is a right old stinker! I have found the things that make him smell worse are any kinds of dairy, such as cow's milk or cheese. Check out his ears, as well. If they're dirty, they can add to the whiff. A regular gentle wipe with damp cotton wool (or a proprietary ear wipe) will keep them sweet-smelling.A regular bath won't hurt your dog's coat, provided you rinse the soap out well, use a gentle conditioner and allow him to dry naturally. My stinky Saluki gets bathed about once a month, the Greyhound once a year!You can also get proprietary wipes for use on dogs who are particularly prone to being smelly, which puts nice-smelling oils like citronella into their coat. However, I think this is more a case of trying to mask the doggy smell, rather than keep it at bay, and its probably not very successful. An excellent tip for your floors, is bicarbonate of soda. Sprinkle it liberally all over the floors (and furnishings), leave for 10-20 minutes and then vacuum up. Its marvellous at knocking out doggy whiffs.In short, I think its a case of several lines of attack in order to tackle difference causes and effects. Good luck!

• hi my name is malavika. Even i also want a dog but it is very difficult to keep it. May be ur dog can go to doctor and ask a advice and you can give him a separate room. Or you can tie him out and keep him food whenever neceesary. And u must not allow ur dog to go in dirty places. You can keep a guard for him. Many ways. But your children love the dog do not forget that.

• Sweaty dog smell is horrible. Its the fabrics that keep it in - things like carpets and curtains etc. You say you don't have carpets and I'm sure you have already though of replacing curtains with blinds etc so theres not much improvement there. You keep his bedding washed so thats already done. You don't wash him too much so its not like hes over producing the oils because of irritated skin. You leave the window open...The only other thing that I do in the constant daily battle against doggy odour (after all we have to wash every day to keep our odour under control!!) is use anti bacterial sprays in the air and on the sofa - it tackles the cause of the smell instead of just masking it with a scent like normal air freshners. I also find it helps to keep the temperature in the rooms my dogs live in relatively cool. They seem to be less smelly then. Finally, don't feel guilty about having no dog areas in your house! That way you can tolerate doggy odours because you know that you have a best room that won't get up your nose!

• it isn't npormal for a dog to stink as you have described. I would ask a vet to check him over to ensure he hasn't got impacted anal glands or some other problem which is causing the stink. I have 8 dogs and there is no stink in my house.

• use one of the odour plugins that get rid not mask the smell...anyway it is probably the cats not being a cat lover i can smell them in the cleanest of houses...dont over bathe the dog you will cause him to smell worse as the body tries to compensate for all the washing...there are sprays you can use on him for dogs...that will make him smell sweeter...also if he gets wet and allowed to dry naturally he will smell dry him off with a hair dryer when he has been outside....make sure he hasnt a skin condition which if you keep bathing will get worse...a quick checkup at the vets wouldnt come amiss at least you will know if it is him ....

• Johnson's grooming spray. it smells like baby powder. However you will have to do it daily. If it is a breed like a bloodhound or bassett, you will just have to live with it as they do just smell. Rotties can be a bit whiffy as well.

• I have a 10 month old pup and use a spray that is similar to baby powder, it also contains a dry shampoo and i spray and brush him every other day and I dont have a problem. The only problem I encountered is when he started marking his territory but i make sure that the area is cleaned straight away when I catch him. the other thing I would do is take him to the vets and ask them for some advice if this doesnt help as he may have a problem with his glands or something else

• Ok first bath the dog, then use those sprays that are deoderizers. I have two dogs it does work spray the furniater as well good luck Oh dont spray it on the dog.

• I recently read an article that febreeze may be harmful to animals, im not sure if this is true, but........ i recently bought a bottle of something similar from Yankee Candles that is specifically for pets. Clean cotton is the fragrance and smells lovely. Its worth a try.

• A dogs scent can often reflect their owners attitudes to life. My advice to you would be to stop wasting your time 'asking random people on this website' and clean your dog more!