What's the best way to save yourself from a barking dog let loose by its masters?

You are on the footpath going for a morning walk. Suddenly you see a unleached <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/8-bulldog/?s=c23bb5cb5f1f56f068a995138cc9d741b7c067b1">bulldog</a> outside a house. The dog starts barking at you and tries to run towards you. what's the best way to get him out of your way?

What's the best way to save yourself from a barking dog let loose by its masters?

You are on the footpath going for a morning walk. Suddenly you see a unleached <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/8-bulldog/?s=c23bb5cb5f1f56f068a995138cc9d741b7c067b1">bulldog</a> outside a house. The dog starts barking at you and tries to run towards you. what's the best way to get him out of your way?...
    General Dog Discussions : What's the best way to save yourself from a barking dog let loose by its masters?...

• DO NOT RUN! and dont turn your back. just keep watching the dog, walk at a normal pace, and try not to do anything to scare the dog. if it does attack then yes, hit it in the nose. most dogs just want to make noise to defent their home, they really dont want to bite. also, check your local bylaws. chances are he is supposed to be tied up somehow

• They make a little ultra-sonic device that attaches to your key chain. It doesn't hurt the dog, but he's sure gonna hate it.I can't remember what it's called, but you can find it by searching for barking deterrents, I think. Maybe look on a major auction site.Also yell, wave a stick, get scary, and call for help from the lame owner. Then call the police and file a polite little report.

• pick up a rock and hit him and then run and hope no one see you because the government will lock you up if you hit a animal but if a animal bites you then that dont count because the government dont see animals bitting people as a crime.remember when that lady was killed by a dog and the owners were never charged untile they braged about it on tv.

• This sounds like a real problem you have? The owners are acting out their aggression and hostility towards other people by using the dog. It happens a lot.The problem is that if you continue moving forwards, even if you have legal right of way, the dog sees it as you invading his territory. If you don't want to be bitten just avoid the route. Its the owners you need to deal with. They can be ordered by the court to keep the dog under control.You'll be offered loads of theories about how to handle the dog, I don't recommend any of them. Use common sense and steer clear of confronting the dog. Get the police or someone to do it then you stay in the right.The usual advice given to defuse an attack is to stand still, don't flap or run; turn your back on the dog and avoid eye contact.Please be aware that screaming at a dog may provoke an attack; it has been a factor in several rottweiller attacks and no professional dog trainer would recommend it as a suitable course of action.

• Slowly turn around and pick up a hand full of sh*t and throw it in the dogs eyes temporarily blinding him.Do'nt worry about having to look for the sh*t,if the dog is that fierce there will be plenty,YOURS!!!!

• dont make eye-contact, dogs find that as a threat, dont seem to scared, otherwise they will pick on you because they think that you are weak. don't run because they will chase you, just try walking past him/her and if they still try to attack you, than defend yourself. you really need to talk to the owners

• Been there.Head up,shoulders back,walk calmly and steadily away without looking at the dog.Pretend it's not there usually they just stand and bark.That's what dogs do.If the dog runs at me I usually wait until it's about 10ft.away and still at a full run before I stop,look at the dog and say SIT firmly,don't yell.If the dog continues then stop and stand still.Don't look at,try to touch or talk to the dog until it's had a chance to smell you.Once it sees you're no threat it'll probably turn tail and walk off.I've encountered many a pitbull and rottweiler in this manner and have'nt had a problem yet.Other than with the owners who're upset that their dogs did'nt tear me apart.Those people are then reported to police asap.

• What a nightmare! Your first priority is to get away from the dog. First thing to do is to avoid making eye contact with it as dogs view eye contact as a challenge/ a threat (When angry/nervous etc.) Do not make a run for it! The dog will know he's got you cornered, basically ... Know he can scare you.Try to walk (Maybe a little faster than you normally would and i know this sounds difficult but trust me! Ignore his barks, pretend he's not there.Once safely home contact the dog warden. I know some people will suggest you talk to the dog's owner but this would only work out if they were responsible dog owners in which case they would know their dog was out and would hurry bringing him back in! They would not tolerate their dog scaring passers-by.Reason why i wouldn't even attempt to reason with them, just let the dog warden pick up their dog and do the talking! He will warn them and unless they don't care about their dog ... They will take the hint and keep him under control.

• Try not to show fear,calmly try to walk away without looking at the dog.Because if it pounced on you the best thing to do is to curl up in a ball,with your hands covering your head.