What breed of small dog sheds little to no hair?

I'm looking for a low(er) maintenance kind of dog that will do well in an apartment like setting.

I'm looking for a low(er) maintenance kind of dog that will do well in an apartment like setting....
    Dog Breed Discussions : What breed of small dog sheds little to no hair?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What breed of small dog sheds little to no hair?

What breed of small dog sheds little to no hair? Dog Breed Discussions
      I'm looking for a low(er) maintenance kind of dog that will do well in an apartment like setting.

What breed of small dog sheds little to no hair? Dog Breed Discussions
    • There really aren't any dog breeds that don't shed at all. However, if you are looking for a dog that doesn't shed due to allergy reasons there are a couple you might find for the price you want.Toy poodles, bischon frise, and maltese are a couple of your best bets. These dog breeds can be pricey, but if you find a breeder that has a dog that is of pet quality and not show or breeding quality the price decreases as long as you sign a waiver to them stating you will have the dog fixed so there is no unauthorized breeding. This is merely to make sure that the breeder is not responsible for having a bad breeding stock and pass on recessive traits to their breeding line.If you can't find a breeder that is willing to work with you going to a shelter or humane society, more often than not there are (unfortunately) puppy mill breeders that have been relinquished of their licenses or give up their unsellable breeding stock. At these places you will not only be able to save an animals life and make it better by giving it a home, but be able to get a dog at a reasonable price.I hope this helps or gives you a little more of an idea of what to look for. Good luck and happy hunting.Airedale TerrierAustralian TerrierBasenjiBichon FriseBostonTerrier Bouvier des FlandresCairn TerrierChinese CrestedHavaneseKerry Blue TerrierMalteseMiniature SchnauzerNorfolk TerrierNorwich TerrierPoodle (all types)SchnauzerShih TzuSoft-CoatedWheaten TerrierTibetan TerrierWelsh TerrierWest Highland White TerrierXoloitzcuintliYorkshire Terrierheres a website with more breeds:http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/allergy.htm....check out petfinder.com for dog available in your area for adoption

• Maltese, Shih Tzu, and Yorkie shed the same way humans do- one or two very long strands at a time, nothing like regular dogs. All three are well suited to apartment life. However, long haired dogs must be brushed daily and groomed every 4-6 weeks. Your next best option would be a short-haired dog like a Chihuahua, Italian Greyhound, or Min Pin. They shed lightly, but it's small hairs, and if you rub them down with a rubber curry brush once a week it should be minimal. Poufy dogs like Pomeranians and Pekingnese shed big clumps of fluffy fur, so that wouldn't be a good idea.Good luck in your decision!

• Terriers usally dont shed(i have one)That will give you a bunch of opptions☺.But you would probably have to walk it every day to give it some exrise if its going to live in an aparment.

• Toy or miniature poodles, Bichon Frise, Yorkies, and Maltese are some. These are also considered to be "hypoallergenic" to many people who have allergies.My mom has allergies, and we got a Bichon because of that. We've had her for 7 years and allergies haven't been a problem. However because of the curly coat (poodles also have quite a curly coat) they need a lot of grooming so their hair doesn't get snarly. Also since they don't shed they need their hair cut every once in a while.Yorkies and Maltese are small too and don't shed, but they can also require a lot of grooming. However if you clip their hair short (not so long like show dogs') it will be much easier.

• Okay, let me give you an honest answer-ALL DOGS SHED.Poodles shed. Their undercoat gets caught in their curly overcoat, causing matts (or knots) to form in their hair. This is why they have to be groomed.Bichons shed. Same explanation as Poodles.Shih-Tzu's, Yorkshire Terriers, Pomeranians, Chihuahua's, Miniature Pinschers, and every other breed suggested sheds. Plus, long-haired breeds such as Yorkshires, Shih Tzu's, and Pomeranians need to be brushed, daily, to prevent matting of that shedding hair.

• I have a Havanese pup and she is the best! Her hair does not shed and she is such a good dog. I brush her everyday to prevent matting and I keep her short too. Havanese have a great temperament with everyone and don't require much exercise. I also used to have a silky terrier who was a good dog too (lived 14.5years) who did not shed either. He was much more energetic, not great with kids/other dogs and would sometimes be snappy. Good luck-

• I would check out poodles first. they come in many colors and different sizes. Contrary to most beliefs they are extremely smart and very easy to train. You do not have to have their hair cut in pom poms if that's too fruity for you. Or if you(or girlfriend, wife etc) are a girly girl-then they also look good in bows and hair stuff. Most "designer" dogs which are selling for fabulously high prices these days are part poodle. Most of them are not yappy(I have had many and they only bark when someone comes to the door) and there are very little problems with them. They do not shed-at all-and so will need some hair cuts to keep their coat short and well-groomed looking. They are pretty low maintenance, and some people who are allergic can have one. Research as best you can, and then go visit some. Remember some breeders are reputable and others are puppy mills. Choose a dog from a clean environment and from a place that to you smells good. Just because someone breeds dogs doesnt mean their house needs to smell like it!We also had a Lhasa Apso while growing up and I dont think she shed-but look online under the akc website to make sure. I dont want to give you the wrong information.Suprisingly enough, I also had a pomeranian that did not shed much. She stayed in the house(and used puppy pads) as she was only about 4 pounds. She had a tremendous coat-very thick and beautiful. I would brush her every -or most evenings and not get too much hair out. twice a year she would "blow" her coat, which means it would all come out. For a day I would just brush her hair for a couple hours and then most of the heavy coat would be gone. (so lots of hair while brushing) The other pom I kept both inside and outside and just kept him shaved. Shaving him 2-3 times and I dont think I noticed any shedding.Best of luck! sheri

• Many of the low shedding breeds require considerable grooming, so keep that in mind. Here is a list of breeds considered low shedding (doesn't mean low dander, but you can find those too at the same link below):All hairless dog breeds (American Hairless, Crested, PIO, Xolo), Affenpinscher, Airedale Terrier, Australian Terrier, Basenji, Bedlington Terrier, Bichon Frise, Bolognese, Border Terrier, Brussels Griffon, Cesky Terrier, Coton de Tulear, Dachshund (Wirehaired only), Dandie Dinmont Terrier, Fox Terrier (Wire only), Schnauzer (Giant, Standard, Miniature), Havanese, Irish Terrier, Irish Water Spaniel, Italian Greyhound, Kerry Blue Terrier, Komondor, Lakeland Terrier, Lowchen, Maltese, Norfolk Terrier, Norwich Terrier, Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen, Poodle (Standard, Miniature, Toy), Portuguese Water Dog, Puli, Scottish Terrier, Sealyham Terrier, Silky Terrier, Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier, Tibetan Terrier, Welsh Terrier, West Highland White Terrier, and Yorkshire Terrier.http://sweet-lucys.com/allergybreeds.htmlETA: I forgot your other question, sorry. Most breeds can do well in an apartment (if given enough exercise), but the companion type breeds are much better suited. Sporting, working, herding, terriers and such require more physical and mental stimulation.

• of course there are breed of cute small dogs that dont shed. like mine for example, its a shih tzu/bichon its adorable and my parents made sure to get a non shedding one.Hypoallergenic dogs HERES THE INFO i researchedThese non shedding or low shedding dog breeds are said to be hypoallergenic if properly groomed and may be better for people with allergies. However an individual’s allergic reactions will vary between dog breeds.Airedale Terrier Australian Terrier Basenji Bichon Frise Boston Terrier Bouvier des Flandres Cairn Terrier Chinese Crested Havanese Kerry Blue Terrier Maltese Miniature Schnauzer Norfolk Terrier Norwich Terrier Poodle (all types) Schnauzer Shih Tzu Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier Tibetan Terrier Welsh Terrier West Highland White Terrier Xoloitzcuintli Yorkshire Terrier check this site out http://www.dog-breed-facts.com/dog-grooming.htmlhoped it helped