What type of "toy dog" will make a good house dog?

I am currently deployed in Iraq and I want to purchase myself a dog as a gift when I return home. I would like a small dog that is good with children and one that does not get very big at all. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am currently deployed in Iraq and I want to purchase myself a dog as a gift when I return home. I would like a small dog that is good with children and one that does not get very big at all. Does anyone have any suggestions?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What type of "toy dog" will make a good house dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What type of "toy dog" will make a good house dog?

What type of "toy dog" will make a good house dog? Dog Breed Discussions
      I am currently deployed in Iraq and I want to purchase myself a dog as a gift when I return home. I would like a small dog that is good with children and one that does not get very big at all. Does anyone have any suggestions?

What type of "toy dog" will make a good house dog? Dog Breed Discussions
    • go the Cavalier king Charles! great personality, great with children and loves being part of a family a top toy dog. The standard says 12 inches (about 30 cm) is the height go to these web sites to find out more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalier_King_Charles_Spanielhttp://www.akc.org/breeds/cavalier_king_charles_spaniel/index.cfmthrough my experience they are fabulous dogs.

• Maybe a Papillion, they are supposed to be great dogs. Or maybe a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, they are also great dogs. I have a Pomeranian/Volpino mix, and he's great. He lets little kids pet him and play with him, and he doesn't look intimidating. Kids like him because he looks like a living stuffed animal! Hope I could help!

• Most of the small dogs - except terriers - make good indoor pets. GO to the local Rescue organization and they can match a dog to your needs.Terriers are also good pets, but they are very energetic, requiring lots of exercise.... which may be good for you.In all cases, socialize the dog with lots of people and lots of dogs, so that it will be good with children and pets.

• All the dogs suggested already are great dogs. Myself though I really love Minature Pinchers. They are a little hyper when young but are very loving, loyal, smart, great with kids(a little protective of them too. If I have to spank one of my kids they have a fit lol) The dont have hard to groom coats. Looks wise they look like a small doberman. I have 3 of them currently. My 2 females weigh around 8lbs last vet check and my male weighs about 6. They are full grown so arent going to get any bigger.

• I had a toy poodle who was great in the house, she was 6lbs. She also didn't shed. Rescues are always a great idea, shelters work hard to find the right dog for your family.My prayers are with you and all of your fellow soldiers for a safe return home.

• Dogs of the toy group comprise the miniature version of the dog world. Many of these breeds are quite ancient, attesting to the value people have long placed in dogs for the sake of companionship and adornment. It is difficult to ascribe behavioral characteristics to the entire group because many of these dogs are basically miniaturized versions of dogs from other groups, although several others are of such ancient origin that they cannot be traced to their larger ancestors. AffenpinscherBrussels GriffonCavalier King Charles SpanielChihuahuaChinese Crested DogEnglish Toy SpanielHavaneseItalian GreyhoundJapanese ChinMalteseManchester Terrier (Toy)Miniature PinscherPapillonPekingesePomeranianPoodle (Toy)PugShih TzuSilky TerrierToy Fox TerrierYorkshire Terrier

• I would only caution you that a toy breed is often not the best choice for homes with small children. Often the children are too rough and can hurt the dog. If you have older children I would suggest a miniature Schnauzer or a Poodle they are both very active smart breeds. If you can rescue a dog from the pound there are so many dogs that need good homes! Lots of luck and I hope you get home to see your kids soon and safely.

• OMG OMG YORKIE!!!!! thy are smalll energetic so they will keep up wit yr kids small good temperd wont bite THE CUTEST DOG IN THE WORLD! i was gunna say chihuahua but the it hit me yorkie they are perfect my friend had one and she has 4 BOYS lol the lil guy plays all day wi them and wen they get tired so does he they like match yr mood if r dad they cuddle up next 2 u if yr exited they get exited they are awsome i would also HIGHLY suggest a cocker spainel they are great dogs even tho they are a lil bit bigger they are amazing with children better then the yorkie

• I have a miniature Yorkshire Terrior who loves kids. He weighs 3 pounds and kids think he is a stuffed animal and want to pick him up. I have to constantly discourage that because I'm afraid they will either hurt him or drop him. His bones are very fragile. He does not shed. And there are standard Yorkies that weigh around 8-10 pounds.I would suggest a dog that gets around 12-15 pounds and a little tougher like Shitzu. They are wonderful dogs, easy to housetrain, they do not shed and are wonderful with kids.