I have 2 young Shelties and am considering getting another dog, what would be a good breed?

I would like to get an AKC dog so that if I decide I want to do confirmation or an AKC event that I could. Don't be mad at me, I love shelter dogs too! My Shelties are both a little over a year and very active. I do agility with the female and plan on…

I have 2 young Shelties and am considering getting another dog, what would be a good breed?

I would like to get an AKC dog so that if I decide I want to do confirmation or an AKC event that I could. Don't be mad at me, I love shelter dogs too! My Shelties are both a little over a year and very active. I do agility with the female and plan on…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : I have 2 young Shelties and am considering getting another dog, what would be a good breed?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I have 2 young Shelties and am considering getting another dog, what would be a good breed?

I have 2 young Shelties and am considering getting another dog, what would be a good breed? Dog Breed Discussions
      I would like to get an AKC dog so that if I decide I want to do confirmation or an AKC event that I could. Don't be mad at me, I love shelter dogs too! My Shelties are both a little over a year and very active. I do agility with the female and plan on doing obedience with both the female and male soon. I'd like to get them a little brother or sister. I'd like preferably a smaller breed that is highly intelligent like my Shelties and wouldn't be so small that it'd get hurt in play. I would like more of a lap dog though that maybe doesn't shed. What about toy Poodles, French Bulldogs, Yorkies? Any other suggestions?

I have 2 young Shelties and am considering getting another dog, what would be a good breed? Dog Breed Discussions
    • YAY! I LOVE Shelties!! They are good and loyal dogs, they will probably get along with any other dog. I would suggest a Shih-Tzu. They have similair dispositions. They're also very friendly dogs. French Bulldogs and Yorkies are kind of high strung, and I don't know much about Poodles. Good luck!!

• Here is a list off the top of my head of low/no shedding breeds:MalteseYorkiesBrussels GriffonShih-tzusBichon FriseNorwich TerriersChinese CrestedsPoodles (all three sizes)Coton De TulearsNorfolk TerriersSchnauzers (All sizes)Australian TerriersCairn TerriersSoft-Coated Wheaten TerriersAirdalesBedlington TerriersAffenpinschersWesties. . . . . .No wonder my friends call me the walking encyclopedia of dog breeds. Sorry about that :-p. I'd say that Toy Poodles best match the description of what you are looking for. They are highly intelligent (second smartest dog breed only to border collies) about the same size as shelties, maybe a tad smaller but no more then a few pounds different, and while they are very active, they are definitely lapdogs.Please research different breeds thoroughly. You may consider picking up a book on different kinds of dogs, studying online, going to dog shows, or a lot of breeders are more then happy to have someone stop by and visit their dogs if they are considering a puppy, so you can have some hands on contact with that breed before deciding on anything.Good luck on your search, I hope that helped, and congratulations on your future addition!