My dog's stitches opened and she has a 3" diameter wound. How long will it take to heal? What can I do to help

My dog had a mast cell tumor removed a few weeks ago. Her stitches burst and were re-sewn. The vet told me if they burst again, there will not be enough skin to re-sew and to leave it open. It is now a 3" diameter wound and you can see the muscle…

My dog's stitches opened and she has a 3" diameter wound. How long will it take to heal? What can I do to help

My dog had a mast cell tumor removed a few weeks ago. Her stitches burst and were re-sewn. The vet told me if they burst again, there will not be enough skin to re-sew and to leave it open. It is now a 3" diameter wound and you can see the muscle…...
    General Dog Discussions : My dog's stitches opened and she has a 3" diameter wound. How long will it take to heal? What can I do to help...

• quickly go to another vet and get another opinion before there is an infection

• If ever you don't like the advice you getting from a vet, it's time to turn to another vet - not Y Answers!!You're right, this doesn't sound like great advice. The wound probably shouldn't just be left - if something is going to be left open to heal, at a mimimum antibiotic cover is required. This doesn't sound like great surgical practice, it's going to leave a horrible scar for one thing. Did the vet give any reason for the wound to continually re-open? Like has the dog been running around while the wound was healing?ChaliceEDIT: Not glue - if stitches wouldn't hold it, how does G suppose glue will?

• I would consult another vet. If the wound is left open, theres a high chance it could get infected and this could kill your dog.If its not able to be stitched again, there should be a dressing that they can put on it to protect it.