when my dog is neutered how will his behaviour be affected?

i have a 19 month old jack russell who has recently started humping the head of my labrador a little to often. he is in for his op tmoz. will having him neutered stop him doing this or just make it less often? he is also very active which we have no…

when my dog is neutered how will his behaviour be affected?

i have a 19 month old jack russell who has recently started humping the head of my labrador a little to often. he is in for his op tmoz. will having him neutered stop him doing this or just make it less often? he is also very active which we have no…...
    General Dog Discussions : when my dog is neutered how will his behaviour be affected?...

• Neutering might help a little but humping is a dominance behavior not a sexual one. To the extent that neutering makes dogs a little less dominant, he might do it less. And it should be done for a lot of other reasons anyway - to prevent unwanted pregnancies, wandering off and his overall health. But to really solve humping, the best way is to pick him up every time he does it and isolate him in a crate or another room away from your other dog and everyone else for about 15 minutes. This is what dogs in a pack do when one dog acts rudely - they shun them for a period of time. It will take time but he'll get the idea that humping gets him isolated. He'll gradually do it less and then may eventually stop it.

• It should calm him down some, but JR's are very active dogs, The humping will slow down, but at 19 months he has already discovered what sex is, and I wouldn't expect it to stop all together. He will calm down for about a day, but JR's are very tough dogs and he should recover very well. I would worry about him losing to much fistyness.

• It should help his hyperactivity a little bit. Though Jack Russels are VERY hyper and neutering doesn't always make that big a difference in this type of a dog's energy level. Mostly it keeps dogs from humping any and everything in sight, and it keeps them from wandering. There are also medical benefits to neutering your dog, so it is not a bad idea. Summary: it may help some with the hyperactivity and the humping, but don't expect a completely different dog when he comes home from surgery.

• It takes about a month post neuter for the testosterone levels to drop. After that you should notice a bit more calmness as those "raging hormones" are now gone. "Humping" can be hormone related, it can also be a dominance posturing. Correct him every time and if the hormones were a factor it will naturally fade. If not - it might take a little work to break that habit. Jack Russell's are very smart and he needs to know what goes and what is unacceptable. He'll probably still be pretty high energy since this is indicative of the breed as a whole. Age is usually a good cure for that! LOLGood for you for getting him fixed! There are many "old wives tales" about neutering, but it is the best thing you can do for your dog. You won't have to worry about him getting testicular cancer now either!Have fun!

• It may help, it may not. It may be a display of dominance, if so it may not stop after he's neutered. Getting him neutered shouldn't change his activity level too much, if at all. JRTs are known for their high energy (they're such fun dogs, aren't they). Getting him neutered it a very good and responsible choice!

• I had a jack russell and he did stop humping when he was done, but sometimes it doesnt. I saw it on a tv programme once - the trick is to change your dogs behaviour. reward him when he is doing stuff you want him to do and ignore the humping, by moving the other dog/yourself.His high level of hyperactivity wont change much mine was still as mad as he was before he went under - just try and keep him carm for a week coz of the stitches - max cost be £30 more in extra trips to the vets coz he kept ripping them out as he wasnt resting.best of luck!

• It won't necessarily make any difference to his behaviour. Neutering isn't a substitute for training, but if the only problem you have is his humping your Lab, I wonder why you are having him neutered at all?

• I had my spaniel done in march this year and he hasn't changed abit just as hyper and playful dashing about like a headless chicken but i would'nt change him for the world