what makes a pitbull eat her puppies?

my dog had some puppies today and she was eating them while she was having them we were able to save 4 of the puppies but she ate 4. I have two other pits that just had puppies and they did not eat they puppies they took care of them and they all were…

what makes a pitbull eat her puppies?

my dog had some puppies today and she was eating them while she was having them we were able to save 4 of the puppies but she ate 4. I have two other pits that just had puppies and they did not eat they puppies they took care of them and they all were…...
    General Dog Discussions : what makes a pitbull eat her puppies?...

• Poor genetics (maternal instinct) in the mother. Some dogs do that, do not breed her again. I have also heard of it in Yorkies, Bostons, and Bull Terriers.

• Sorry to hear about this, its upsetting for you.It could be because she's a first time mum and was upset by the whole thing, she could be lacking in maternal instinct. First time mums often make a hash of it, but usually neglect their pups. This is an extreme reaction.Captive animals under a lot of stress may eat their young, so try to figure out if anything was freaking her out. Did she seem upset about where her nest was sited, did she try to have the pups elsewhere? Did you have the other dogs out of the area and no visitors?The pups may have been deformed. My friends Pom refused to feed her 2 pups. When their eyes opened 4 week later they were blind. She's had pups before and since with no problems. How on earth did she know?It is really bizarre that she's trying to eat pups from other litters. This would indicate that she is top dog, but she should't have access to them.I would have her spayed and if you intend to continue breeding, re-home her.You may be able to get one of the other dogs to accept the orphan pups, which is always preferable to hand rearing. If they are near the same age and look similar you just need to make them smell the same. Wash them and rub them dry with a towel that has been in the nest with mum and her pups, then leave them outside the nest, see if the foster mum will pick them up and carry them into her nest. If they are presented as helpless infants who have fallen from the nest she might be fooled.Your scent on the pups cannot cause any harm, as your dogs are used to your scent. They are not wild animals. And mother animals will starve themselves to feed their young, hunger has nothing to do with this.Good luck.

• most commen reason for dog`s (and cat) for doing this is illness in the animal or the animalis to tired, not always old, just tired for what ever reaon. if the dog isun happy or was ot raised by the mother it may also do this, but even with a happy healthy dog, it still will happen, noone can say for sure, it`s just one of those thins i`m afraid.

• I think you should to call a halt to your breeding programme until you sort yourself and your dogs out. You sound very much like an amateur and out of your depth.There could be many reasons why your dog did this;1. she may have been too immature to cope and just didn't know what was happening to her as she gave birth2. she may have known that the pups were imperfect and perhaps not viable3. she may have been stressed by your other dogs and felt threatened4 she may have felt stressed by you or someone else who was there as she gave birth5. dogs that have just given birth eat the placentas if they are allowed to as it is a good source of protein and can sustain them for a few days.. She may have been confused due to this need to eat the placentas. 6. I have seen a new mother chewing through the umbilical cords of the pups and getting agitated to a point where she began to injure the pups. 7. she might have serious mental problems and be completely unsuitable for breeding. All these are guesses but I wonder why you have so many dogs and seem to be having so many puppies.Why did you breed from this one ? How did she get at the other dogs puppies?Who was supervising her at the time?Where is she - you say you got rid of her?Do you already have homes lined up for your pups?Are they good homes?Will the dogs end up as breeding machines or fighters? Are you a licensed breeder?Does your Vet have any idea what went wrong?Do you intend to continue breeding from dogs that are closely related to this one?Dog pounds are full of dogs that have been bred by irresponsible people and thousands are destroyed because they are unwanted or have behaviour problems.Are you adding to these numbers?

• I SAW THIS ONCE WITH SOME PET RABBITS THAT i HAD AND THE MOTHER ATE THEM ALL. MY DAD TOLD ME THAT THEY DO THIS WHEN THEY FEEL THREATENED BY SOMETHING STRANGE OR STRANGER. ALSO I REMEMBER AT SCHOOL THIS ALSO HAPPENED IN OUR SCIENCE LAB WITH THE PET GERBILS. ASK YOUR VET SO IN THE FUTURE YOU CAN TAKE THE NECESSARY PRECAUTIONS

• I've had to re-write this one as it is difficult. Take wolves in the wild for example. You have the alpha female, who has the only breeding rights in the pack. If another wolf has a litter at the same time as her she will eat their pups as hers have the right to be given all the care. I think this may have happened with your dogs. The one who has eaten her pups I am guessing is probably the under-dog. She probably ate the pups cause she knew she wasn't meant to have them. Eating the other dogs pups may be because she was jealous. It may seem unlikely but it does happen. Its a shame you had to get rid of her, because this is your own fault. If you had known what you were doing then you would have known to keep both dogs away from one another while the were whelping and for a few weeks after. Even better, bred them at seperate times of the year. I hope you read some of these messages and take the time to get a professional opinion from a vet and get some real advice before you try breeding anymore dogs. Especially ones that are used as fighting dogs and banned in England, and many parts of america.

• well i think i read somewhere that most dogs do that kuz they know they canex. if a dog is taking care of her babies and you mess with her she goes for her pups to show shes not afraid to do worse to you. doesn't that make some sense i mean if she eats her own pups imagine what she would do to you