What's a silent type breed of dog?

What's a silent type breed of dog that can be fierce if needed? I want a dog that suits in an apartment, not necessary a large dog but is strong to protect the house. I also need a dog that has laid-back attitude that would do fine even if I'm not…

What's a silent type breed of dog that can be fierce if needed? I want a dog that suits in an apartment, not necessary a large dog but is strong to protect the house. I also need a dog that has laid-back attitude that would do fine even if I'm not…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What's a silent type breed of dog?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What's a silent type breed of dog?

What's a silent type breed of dog? Dog Breed Discussions
      What's a silent type breed of dog that can be fierce if needed? I want a dog that suits in an apartment, not necessary a large dog but is strong to protect the house. I also need a dog that has laid-back attitude that would do fine even if I'm not around, and requires less exercise.

What's a silent type breed of dog? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Newfoundland. They're ok in apartments, it has a laid-back attitude and they're not active dogs. As for the protecting part, his size should discourage anyone to enter your place.ADD: Let me add, a dog is a companion not an alarm security you check once a day. It needs structure, some activities and lots and lots of love.

• i would say just like everyone else, they say the besenji but i had an alaskan malamute and he didn't make any noise, they were breed not to bark hense mala"mute" so they wouldn't make an avalanche, but then i had another malamute and it doesn't shut up!!! so its up to the dog

• Well dont get a toy breed, although they would do great in an apartment. And dont get a medium to large size dog because they require excersize and dont do as well in an apartment. Yeah dont bother getting a dog. get a cat. I heard they can be laid back, and they dont need walks, also they dont really give a crap if your home or not.

• I have the perfect dog for you. A softcoated Wheaton Terrier.They don;'t bark they don't shed, they are sturdy medium sized dogs. But they will protect their house and you. They are also very affectionate and fun loving. Ya gotta get one!!

• Well, no dogs are silent... and nobody will really know what dog will fit your needs... you need to go to the shelter and go to the dog that seems to fit the physical appearance, and then take her/him home and see if s/he fits your needs! That is the only way that I have found that works... and dont undirect yourself from the dogs that are known barkers *HOUNDS* I got a hound knowing that she was going to be a barker because she is a coonhound... but she only barks once a week... same with my basset hound! So, it more depends on the dog, not the breed!

• Lol, ALL DOGS BARK, particular small dogs&working dogs & protecting dogs, All dogs require EXERCISE, NO DOG BREEDS ARE COMPLETELY SHEDLESS.There is no dog that fits all you are describing unless you want a cat! Adults require less attention than puppies, also many toy/small dogs are unsuitable to live with children. Please never buy from a petstore or backyard and consider an adult from a shelterHounds breed dogs generally require 4km walks daily. Hounds will often bark, howl and dig if not allowed inside. there generally unsuitable for appartments.Working dogs such as Border Collie, Bearded Collies require 4km walks daily, there generally unsuitablem for appartments. Large/Giant Guarding/Protecting dogs are not recommended for 1st time ownersThe Basenji being so energetic needs quite a bit of exercise. Vigorous daily walks are required as this breed has a lot of energy and can be somewhat tireless.Dogs that are okay for appartmentsAffenpinscher(They do well as apartment or condominium dwellers provided they are taken for daily leashed walks)Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog (They will do well in an apartment if they are sufficiently exercised.)American Bulldog ( They will do okay in an apartment dwelling provided they are given sufficient exercise, attention, and stimulation)American Eskimo DogThey will do okay in an apartment provided they are sufficiently exercised and paid attention to.American Pit Bull Terrier They will do okay in an apartment dwelling provided they are given sufficient exercise, attention, and stimulation.American Water Spaniel will do okay in an apartment provided they are given sufficient exercise and a securely fenced yard is availableAustralian Terrier They do well in an apartment or condominium dwelling provided they are given sufficient exercise and stimulationBeauceronThe Beauceron will do okay in an apartment provided they are sufficiently and stimulated, although a large fenced yard is preferableBedlington TerrierThe Bedlington Terrier will do okay in an apartment if they are given sufficient exerciseBelgian MalinoisThe Belgian Malinois will do well in an apartment environment, if given sufficient exercise. However, it is recommended that this breed have a medium to large yardBichon FriseThey are well suited to apartment living provided appropriate exercise is given.Border Terrier This breed will do okay in an apartment dwelling provided they receive sufficient physical exercise and mental stimulation. Borzoi They are able to adapt to apartment dwelling provided they are sufficiently exercised. Boston TerriersBoston Terriers do well in an apartment, condominium, or city dwelling provided they are given sufficient exercise, attention, and stimulation.Bouvier Des Flandres will do okay in apartment life if given proper exercise.BoxerThe Boxer will do okay in an apartment if they are sufficiently and regularly exercised.BriardsThey will do okay in an apartment if they are sufficiently exercised. Brussels GriffonThis dog does enjoy short walks and will do just fine without a yard. Bulldog This breed is well suited for apartment, condominium, and city dwellingCanaan Dogs okay in an apartment provided they are given sufficient exercise, attention, and stimulationCavalier King Charles Spaniel They are able to adapt to apartment or condominium living provided there is a small yard.Cesky TerrierThe Cesky Terrier breed does well in an apartment provided they are sufficiently exercisedChihuahua excellent apartment or condominium dweller Chinese Crested does very well in apartment life and would do just fine without a fenced yard.Chinese Foowill do well in a city or apartment environment provided they are sufficiently exercised and mentally stimulatedChinese Shar-PeiActivity: If given proper exercise, this breed can do okay without a yard. An average sized yard is suggested, but is not required. Alert and confident, the Chinese Shar-Pei makes a wonderful companion to an experienced owner Chow Chow The Chow is well suited for apartment dwelling provided they are given sufficient exercise.Require experienced ownerClumber Spaniels equally suited for apartment or residential dwellings. They require daily exercise such as brisk walks, being bicycling companions, chasing a ball, or swimmingCocker SpanielActivity: The Cocker Spaniel is recommended for a home with at least a small yard, but can do well in an apartment if they receive the proper exercise. This is a fairly active breed and does require 3 walks per day, unless able to roam free in a fenced back yard for exercise. CollieWill do well in apartment life if given regular exercise Corgi suited for apartment or city living provided they are sufficiently exercised and mentally stimulatedCoton De TulearThey adjust and adapt well to apartment, condo, and urban livingDachshundActivity: The Dachshund can be lively and vivacious, however he does not need much exercise. A short walk per day would suffice for this short-bodied breed. The Dachshund tends to tire out easily so any exercise provided should be given at different times rather than one long walk. This breed is prone to back problems so high jumping and/or running should never be allowed.Mini Dachshund's Activity: Mini Dachshund's are ideal for both country or city living. They require sufficient exercise to prevent boredom and obesity.Dandie Dinmont Terriergood for apartment lifeDoberman PinschersThis breed will do okay in an apartment provided they are sufficiently exercised. However, a securely fenced yard is best for romping and running freely.English BulldogActivity: The English Bulldog doesn't require much exercise but would do well with a short walk occasionally. This breed tires out easily and considering the flat muzzle, should always have available water.English Toy Spaniel They are well suited for apartment living. but does enjoy short securely leashed walks.Toy Eskimo This breed is well suited for apartment living provided they are sufficiently physically exercised and mentally stimulatedFrench BulldogActivity: The French Bulldog can easily become overheated due to the flat muzzle and breathing problems during extreme temperatures. Proper shade and water should always be provided. Not recommended for outdoor life. Do not exercise this breed in hot weather as this can cause heatstroke. If it's too hot outdoors, move your exercise and play indoors to prevent complications.German ShepherdTemperament: A member of the herding group, the German Shepherd is fearless, bold, hard working, and alert. They are esteemed for their loyalty, deep devotion, and courage. This breed thrives on human interaction from their family and does not like to be left alone for extended periods of time. German Shepherds are exceptionally wary of strangers. They will most generally get along with other household pets they have been raised with. This breed will attempt to perform the task of herding on anything and everything that moves. The German Shepherd is not recommended for the novice, apathetic, or sedentary owner.Activity: This breed is happiest when given a job to do. They require strenuous exercise and enjoy securely leashed walks, family play sessions, and a large safely fenced area to romp and run freely in. The German Shepherd will do okay in an apartment or condominium dwelling provided they are given sufficient exercise, stimulation, and attention.The Glen of Imaal TerrierThe Glen of Imaal Terrier breed is suitable for both apartment and rural living. They enjoy daily walks but must always be securely leashedGolden Retriever Activity: The Golden Retriever requires daily exercise. They enjoy play sessions with their family, retrieving balls and other toys. They will do okay in an apartment dwelling provided they are sufficiently exercised. Golden Retrievers are moderately active indoors and does best with a medium to large sized securely fenced yard.Great Danes are recommended for appartment life, but need daily walksHavanese Activity: The Havanese has an energetic nature that requires walking, a play session, or a swim. However, they do not require an inordinate amount of exercise. They do well in apartments and also homes with small yards. Since they are adept at learning tricks, they benefit from this activity. The Havanese are moderately active indoors but do need toys and social stimulation so as not to become bored and irritable. Irish Terrier Activity: This breed is highly active and needs regular exercise. They thrive on family play sessions, securely leashed walks, and romping and running in a safely enclosed space. The Irish Terrier does not do well if left alone indoors or outdoors for an extended period of time. Without adequate stimulation and attention they become lonely, bored, and will become destructive. The Irish Terrier will do okay in an apartment dwelling provided they are given sufficient exercise.Jack Russell Terrier Activity: The Jack Russell Terrier thrives on exercise. They are very active indoors and require constant stimulation. They have the ability to adapt to apartment dwelling provided they are given sufficient exercise, but do best with an average size yard that is securely fenced. They will become destructive if they become bored. They enjoy long walks and vigorous play sessions.Japanese Chin Many more

• I would suggest a cat or a stuffed dog. Why would you even want a dog with that list of restrictions? Dogs are actual living, breathing animals that do have needs other than protection of one's home or person.

• Buy a house alarm.The best apartment dog there is..is a great dane. Other than scaring the crap out of your neighbours when riding the elevator these are awesome apartment dogs.The food bill might kill you but even the vet will tell you not to exercise them. Just let them ride the sofa and they will be happy.If you get a black one a burglar will think you have a horse in the kitchen and run like hell. There not aggressive but like the burglars going to know that or take the chance.Friends at cottage have one and i still jump at night when this thing strolls by.Just be a responsible owner and know its a long term commitment