Are Cavalier King Charles Spaniels known to snore?

My puppy is 4 month old and she's currently asleep next to me and snoring really loud. Is it normal?She's on my pillow next to my head so her snoring is hurting my ears and making me lose my concentration lolYes I did research and I was aware before…

My puppy is 4 month old and she's currently asleep next to me and snoring really loud. Is it normal?She's on my pillow next to my head so her snoring is hurting my ears and making me lose my concentration lolYes I did research and I was aware before…...
    General Dog Discussions : Are Cavalier King Charles Spaniels known to snore?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Are Cavalier King Charles Spaniels known to snore?

Are Cavalier King Charles Spaniels known to snore? General Dog Discussions
      My puppy is 4 month old and she's currently asleep next to me and snoring really loud. Is it normal?She's on my pillow next to my head so her snoring is hurting my ears and making me lose my concentration lolYes I did research and I was aware before buying her but it's been 4 months and it slipped my mind. I'm having her spayed in 2 months time so I will tell my vet and if she does have to have surgery then I will pay for it :)

Are Cavalier King Charles Spaniels known to snore? General Dog Discussions
    • My dog katie snores REALLY loud some times she wakes me up at night were i have to wake her from her dreams so i can get back to sleep too! =PAll dogs snore really...bless them!

• Yes it is normal because the breed is predisposed to having an elongated soft palate.This is a condition if left untreated can cause your dog to DIE.Although she is too young for surgery now, you do need to make your vet aware of this condition so that when the time comes he can send you to a good surgeon.I just had the surgery done on my dog and it has made a huge difference.Keep your puppy from getting overheated, always keep in a climate controlled (Air conditioned) environment on hot days, and keep its weight under control.Again left untreated this can cause an airway obstruction and death.I am sure you had read about all of this when you researched the breed.--------------------------Brachycephalic airway obstruction syndrome (BAOS), also referred to as brachycephalic airway disease (BAD) and brachycephalic airway syndrome (BAS), is an inherited condition in the Cavalier King Charles spaniel. The breed is pre-disposed to it, due to the comparatively short length of the Cavalier's head and a compressed upper jaw*.The term "brachycephalic" or "brachiocephalic" means short-nosed and refers to dogs with short muzzles, noses, and mouths. "Brachy" means short and "cephalic" means head. The throat and breathing passages in brachycephalic dogs often are undersized or flattened. The head's soft tissues are not proportionate to the shortened nature of the skull, and the excess tissues tend to increase resistance to the flow of air through the upper airway (nostrils, sinuses, pharynx and larynx).This developmental defect is somewhat more apparent in a few other breeds: the English bulldog, pug, Boston terrier, and Pekingese, in particular. However, various degrees of BAOS predominate in the CKCS. The primary BAOS abnormalities in the Cavalier include an elongated and fleshy soft palate, narrowed nostrils (stenotic nares), and everted laryngeal saccules, all of which are discussed in detail here. Other disorders may include laryngeal malformation and relatively small windpipe (tracheal hypoplasia or stenosis) and collapsing trachea**, which are not specifically covered in this article. All of these disorders cause obstruction of the upper airway, compromise the dog's ability to take in air, and may result in laryngeal collapse.http://www.cavalierhealth.org/brachycephalic.htm

• My parents have 3 cavaliers. Ray-Ray and Walter don't snore at all but once we rescued William we were terrified because we had never heard anything like it. We used to live next to train tracks and the trains going by weren't even as loud as this dogs snoring. But yes it is normal. William also enjoys curling up on my parents pillows while they sleep at night. It must just be a thing for them.

• I have a cavalier king charles and since i got him when he was 8 weeks he has been snoring he is now 6 years, there is nothing to worry about and i wouldn't recommend giving him surgery, if you have ever seen a pug you will hear that they snort all the time this is because of their short noses cavaliers are similar.

• All the breeds with the "designed" pushed in noses snore. Many have even worse breathing difficulties too.There's nothing much you can do. The snub nose has cause all the tissue in the sinus' and the soft palette in the mouth and throat to be squashed into a much smaller area, Just because the nose is flatter, doesn't mean that the natural structure behind the nose has been reduced in size too.