Has anyone ever had to put their dog to sleep?

I have had to do that today and both me and my husband are devestated.My dog was 14 years whch is a great age i know but, we both feel so upset, and feel the house is so empty without him around as he was a fantastic dog.We have 2 other dogs, who keep…

Has anyone ever had to put their dog to sleep?

I have had to do that today and both me and my husband are devestated.My dog was 14 years whch is a great age i know but, we both feel so upset, and feel the house is so empty without him around as he was a fantastic dog.We have 2 other dogs, who keep…...
    General Dog Discussions : Has anyone ever had to put their dog to sleep?...

• u`ll come around it will take awhile because it happen to me my dog got hit with something and he was still alive he got hit in the head with something so i had to put him to sleep it took awhile before i got another one but u already have two other dogs just love them just as much

• God Bless you and your husband. I think losing a dog is very hard. I had to put my whippet to sleep about 13 years ago and took off work for 2 days because I was so upset. I believe dogs go to heaven too and Augie (my dog) will be waiting for me when I get there.I shared a lot of memories with my husband when I put Augie down and looked at a lot of his pictures and allowed myself to morn. Even now reading your question brings tears to my eyes, but I can also laugh now about silly things Aug use to do and how much I loved him. I have gone on to have other dogs (Jack Russell's) because I just couldn't get another dog like Augie. I knew I would always compare them.Just remember any loss take time to heal from including your best 4 legged friend. God Bless you and your husband and know you'll think fondly of your dog before long. He's chasing a rabbit in heaven tonight..

• My heart goes out to you as I had to do this deed three summers ago, our dear Peke had lost the use of her back legs and was incontinent.......i put it off as long as i could possibly do it, i would carry her around with a towel under her,but i honestly couldnt take it anymore, to see her suffering.........so i did what i had put off for far too long...........the vets office and the dr, were very sympathetic, but my husband and my dad and myself were just heartbroken.......some time has passed, and it will be two years this coming March we will have had our little minidoxie,named HoneyBun.........she is NOT a replacement for Fluffy, no other dog could have fit her paws, but Honey is an addition to our lives, we are retired,and are also now having my elderly father living with us, so Honey livens our place up quite a bit, she causes us to laugh again and play like kids with her, and my dad is a soft touch for her antics, and slips her treats even when he knows i'm looking..........so take heart, dear ones, let some time pass and you will want to share your home with another welcome addition ..........one who will love you unconditionally and will shower you with puppy kisses........please let me know how you are doing, i care...............Sharon T. from Ohio [email protected]

• It is a sad day when you are faced with that decision. I have experience in this area. It takes a while. To me it is the same feeling as losing a human friend.We got a 2 year old dog and had her for 11 years. We found a lump and had it tested and it was cancerous. In 4 months, she had alot of lumps. She colapsed one day so we took her in and said good bye.I had to replace the dog because of my 11 year old son. Every day for a week he would ask, "Mom, can we get another dog?"We got another dog a week later. Had her for another 11 wonderful years until one day she disappeared into the forest never to be seen again.Its been 3 years, 7 months and 13 days since I last saw her.I cope by the freedom of not having to care for another dog or cat. My friends have animals and I help them with their pets. This seems to be the best therapy. Now I can travel

• I am so sorry for your loss. I know exactly how horrible it feels to lose a beloved pet. Please take comfort in knowing that you will be reunited with your dog... at a place us animal lovers refer to as "The Rainbow Bridge"Rainbow BridgeJust this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....Author unknown...This was taken from http://petloss.com/*******************PS - I am completely shocked an appalled at what Ben up there had to say! How anyone could be so cruel and heartless, I will never understand. You and your husband made the decision that was best for your dog. You ended his/her suffering - in a selfless act. What the poster proposed is insane. He may have nursed a cat until its death, but in reality, he just prolonged its suffering.

• Unfortunately yes we have gone through this 3 times , I'm 52 and had dogs all my life and the only way i can try to get over loosing what we consider a member of our family < which is what they were to us > is the knowledge that they had the best life we could give them. Life is full of sorrow but to me i would rather give my dogs a good life and get the unconditional love they give you than never have them in our life.

• I had to put one of my cats to sleep. While I was very upset about it, and cried like a baby, I comforted myself by reminding myself that what I did was out of love to my pet, and it was a mercifull act that put an end to his suffering. It's now about nine months later and I still think about him sometimes. My two other cats have gotten used to him not being around and the sharp sting of the loss has been replaced by the occasional fond memory of my late cat. He's in a better place now and isn't suffering, so i guess that's the best for him.

• Hey, I'm sorry to hear about your lost. It is indeed difficult to cope with esp when he's been with you for so long and has become a member of the family. I'm not sure for what reasons why he was put down but I'm sure it was for the better.My aunt recently adopted a chihuahua from the pound whose only a pound or two and is about 8 weeks of age. She had him for a month... the only thing was that when this chihuahua was born, the mom accidentally fractured his skull so he's can't function on his own. He walks backwards before walking forward, he doesn't know how to eat or drink on his own, he has to be bottle fed, when he falls down he doesn't know how to get back up. One night I guess the pup fell over and couldn't get back up, he tried with his might, and the next morning my aunt found his cage and him full of blood everywhere because he scratched the heck out of his legs struggling to try to get back up.Even though my aunt is very dedicated and will devote the time to him, its about the quality of life we give to our pets not quantity. If he's suffering so much, even though with time, its something permanent that can not be healed. So as much as she did not want to, she had to put him to sleep and just hope that he finds a better life in his next beginning.Losing a pet is like losing a member of your family, healing for you, your husband, and the dogs will take time. Just remember, your dog has gone to a better place. Someday you might encounter another dog just like him with his spirit. I know there's no replacement great enough to take his place. Just know that he's still along side you everyday. Not physically but spiritually. If you need to talk about it, talk to someone about it, cry it out, it just might help. The only hard thing about it is keeping it bottled in... it will be hard to accept that he's physically gone but remember he lives within you along with all the great memories you've all made. I'm pretty sure he appreciates all the love, caring, and the great life you've given him the past 14yrs. Hope you all feel better soon. =)

• When we had to give our little Foxy back to the angels 2 years ago, neither of us could get through a day without tears for almost 3 months. We knew no one could ever fill the huge holes in our hearts, but we could fill her place in our home. We just weren't ready to accept a long-term commitment, though, so we decided to foster a dog for a local rescue organization. We thought it might be good for our other 2 dogs as well. Best decision we ever made!!!!! We now have 4 dogs of our own, and foster 2-4 at a time. We just know we are making Foxy so proud. So far 23 dogs have been saved and are in loving homes, many of which were also "empty" due to a recent loss. And we're still going strong! What a wonderful legacy for our precious baby-girl. Our hearts go out to you; you will never forget (thank goodness) but you can move on if you do what your heart leads you to do. Find your area rescue groups by going to www.Petfinder.com, and good luck to you both.

• Yes, I remember it as if it was yesterday. My mother's dog (who was a family dog, but primarily my mother's) had cancer. We both made the decision (following the vet's advice) to have her put down. We held her paw as it was done and wept buckets together after. That night my mother (who was visiting my house - where the deed had been done) retired to bed earlier than me. I remember phoning all my friends until very late that night/next morning and crying down the phone to them about the death of the dog. Two weeks later my mother died suddenly and I dealt with that much better on the face of it (although I'd always got on extremely well with her and miss her to this day). It's strange.Maybe there is a subconscious guilt trip because we are the agents? I'm sure you did it for the best of reasons. It's hard but it will get easier.How to deal with it? Mourn however you wish to now - cry, wail, do the extreme stuff. Let it out. (this site is a good avenue). Long term, I think you should have a grave/memorial that you can visit and remember the dog. Photographs are good. Talk about the dog - don't avoid the subject, don't make it a taboo subject. The dog was an important part of your life for a long time and is still an important part, you have to move from the living dog being part of your life to the absence of the dog being a normal part of your life. That happens gradually. It gets easier. Good luck and I sympathise with you for your loss. 14 years is a great age, celebrate it and know that your dog has moved on to a better place.Edit: Why did I get a thumbs down?

• Don't forget about him. We had pictures of our pet that we had to put to sleep. We bought a special picture frame and set it with all our other family photos, she was a family member too. It's hard not to be sad , you just need to remember she had a great life on this earth and a good loving family to share it with and will be missed. I suggest setting pictures out if you have any and i'm sure you do since you sound so devistated. Your heart will heal . Just remember you still have other pets that you love and they need your love as well. They are also grieving. They will help you get though this as well as you and your hubby helping them . I'm sorry for your loss. I know exactly how you feel. Hope I could help.

• I had a 14 month old female Pitty named Noey that I had to pts due to bladder cancer.It was the most devestating decision of my life I ever had to make.Time does heal all wounds ,the pain will get better.I found also getting another puppy helped with the pain.The puppy didn't replace Noey ,but she added something to our household that was missing.Talking about it I found helped me alot.

• Yes, three times, and I chose to stay with my dogs each and every time. Many people, for whatever reason, choose not to stay. It's a matter of personal choice, but for me, there was no other choice. My dogs were always there for me when I needed them, and I wanted to be with them during their last moments. It's not easy, but my vet let me stay with the dog as long as I wanted after wards to hold them, grieve and say my final good-byes.Of course, my grieving didn't end after I left, but it was the right decision for me. Thinking about it now still brings tears to my eyes. If you haven't read the poem The Rainbow Bridge, you really should. It will make you cry, but it's very touching just the same. I'm also adding some links where you post a free memorial for your dog.I'm sorry for your loss. I know how hard it, is.Best wishes to you and your family.

• I had to put my beloved Dalmatian to sleep due to kidney failure. It was the hardest thing I ever did however when the alternative is to let them suffer, then you have no choice. I cried long and hard. It took a long time to get over him. I wish you luck and peace.

• i had to put my racer down last year. he was 11 and had kidney failure so we felt it was better to put him down than him dying in pain. it is a hard choice to make but you have to do what is best for the dog although it may be heart breaking for you. you don't really get over it and it takes a while for the pain to lessen but you feel relief knowing you've done the right thing and your dog hasn't suffered.

• You poor things I really feel for you, just before last Christmas (2nd December) I lost my beautiful German Shepherd, Benson was 13 years old which is a very good age for a GSD but it didn't make it any easier, you won't feel like coming to terms with it just yet that will come later, at the moment you need to grieve, your dog was part of your family, I still miss Benson dreadfully but I know that the decision I made was the right one & at the right time. Your other dogs will 'know' what has happened they sense it but they will come round and be as happy as they used to be before but they will need a bit of TLC and in this way you will help each other because you and your husband will take comfort in them.Time heals so take your time, some people heal quicker than others, and if some bright spark says 'it's only a dog' take no notice, they say ignorance is bliss!Take care

• I did the other day, it's very emotional, but also the best thing if they are very tired after a long day chasing sticks, it took a while,and i was beginning to lose my voice as some of the lullabies had quite high notes.