How long should i keep a dog alive before i have it put down..??

I have a Jack Russle dog ..who is very ill..it has a enlarge heart ..vet said his heart has grown large ..wasn't eating it was nearly skin and bones thank God started to eat a little now ..but will never recover I dont think ..now he started to store…

How long should i keep a dog alive before i have it put down..??

I have a Jack Russle dog ..who is very ill..it has a enlarge heart ..vet said his heart has grown large ..wasn't eating it was nearly skin and bones thank God started to eat a little now ..but will never recover I dont think ..now he started to store…...
    General Dog Discussions : How long should i keep a dog alive before i have it put down..??...

• You sound like someone that loves your dog and i know from experience that this is a very hard choice to be made. My dog had cancer in its kidenys and it gets to a point where you just have to say goodbye. Your jack russel has done well to get to 14 and i think mabye you should say goodbye. If he has that many tablets a day, isnt even walking around healthily, and think mabye he would enjoy it more if he wasnt kept in this world.Good luck : (I think you'll make the right choice

• This is a heart breaking situation I know. You love the dog and don't wish to put it away but remember you are saving it from pain and a terrible life if the dog is very ill. I kept my little dog alive for several months and it cost a banker's salary to keep her going; however, her life wasn't good for her and I finally had to put her down. Ask the vet if your dog is suffering. If it is then the dog must be put out of misery ASAP. If you decide to do this do not be in the room when the dog is put down. It will stay with you forever and you do not need this. I had my dog's ashes placed in a box and I keep the box in my bedroom so I can feel close to her when I talk to her. I now have another dog and she is wonderful but my first dog is still number one in my heart. Remember, don't let the dog suffer. I know it is hard for you but think of the dog, especially if the dog is in pain.

• May I go nowDon't you think the time is right?May I say good-bye to pain-filled daysand endless lonely nights?I've lived my life and done my best,an example tried to be,So can I take that step beyondand set my spirit free?I didn't want to go at first.I fought with all my might!But something seems to draw me nowto a warm and loving light.I want to go! I really do!It's difficult to stay.But I will try as best I canto live just one more day .To give you time to care for meand share your love and fears.I know you're sad and are afraidbecause I see your tears.I'll not be far, I promise that,and hope you'll always knowthat my spirit will be close to youwherever you may go.Thank you so for loving me.You know I loved you too.That's why it's hard to say good-byeand end this life with you.So hold me now, just one more time,and let me hear you say,because you care so much for me,you'll let me go today.Copyright © Susan A. JacksonWritten for a beloved pet and friend.

• Hi there !!!!Seeing an animal, that is like a family member suffer just causes internal pain within our soul. I know it is so hard for you to take that step and put this baby down. You have done everything in your power to help him, you are suffering for him and he is dying, in pain, suffering. Honey take him in your arms and talk to him, let go of the pain you have deep within, let him know how much you love him, but that you do not want to see him suffer anymore. If you can not take him to the vet to get put down , then ask a family member or a friend to take him for you. Do not be alone when this happens. Have another friend there for you. ( Or just blog us and we will be here for you) But someone there with you is the best bet . I know what you mean on how you can make decisions in other situations, with other people, but when it comes down to someone we are emotionally involved with , it is so different, our emotions get in the way, clouding our judgement. Try to put your frame of mind as if you were with the UN forces again, think of you russie as a patient, suffering, what would you do? You know the answer.My prayers are with you. Hold on strong to God and be happy for the unconditional love and time you spent toghether with your russie.Wishing you all the best, praying that you will allow your baby to rest.May the lord guide you, and give you peace within when you do what you have to do.Love light and peace

• Ahhh this sounds like a real heart breaking dilema . I think that for all concerned its best to out the poor thing out of his misery . He has had a good run I mean 14 years old. So i think that you do youre bit for him and let him go peacefully X

• This is a very difficult decision, especially as you have invested so much loving care and resources in helping your dog.The power is in your hands to both prolong the dog's life (he would be dead anyway without your intervention and care) and to end the dog's suffering. However, before you decide to do this you need to be sure that your dog's quality of life is so poor that he does not derive enough pleasure from it to make it worthwhile prolonging his life any further.From the description you have given he sounds very ill and I don't think anyone would judge you for ending his life - it would be a mercy.However, you are the one who knows the dog, and his personality. If you think that he is very unhappy and suffering, then it is time to let him go-regardless of how sad and difficult it is for you to do this. You will feel as if you are betraying him, by ending his life and stopping his treatment, but remember that he is only alive because of the treatment he is receiving anyway. His body has already given in. If his personality is also gone, it is time for you to let him rest.I hope that you have some family and friends who will be able to support you through this really difficult time.I wish you and your dog all the best.

• At 14 years, he's lived a full doggy life. He sounds like he's not doing to well, I'd just put him down now, as much it hurts, it's better for him to be put to rest than to suffer through the rest of his life. Sometimes you have to let go and know it's for the better. I know that animals can be less like animals and more like family members, and that can make it really hard to let him go; but it's definately time.

• I had to make the same decission with my beloved cocker spaniel not so long ago. It was heartbreaking! Like you, I kept taking her to the vet, looking for that miracle cure-but there was none. I finally asked the vet what he would do, if it were his dog. He said he felt the dog should have been put down several weeks before. He explained that I was keeping the dog alive for myself (not wanting to lose my best friend), and not for the dog's best. So, I held her in my arms as he administered the final shot. She looked up at me as if to say thank you. She laid her head on my shoulder and fell asleep for the last time. I held her and cried, but they were not tears for her, as I knew she was in a better place. The tears were for myself, knowing I would miss her so very much, and I do! Please, love your wee dog enough to let him go...I would hope that when my time comes someone could do the same for me.

• my heart goes out to you there is only you who can answer this question but if i were in your shoes i would have him put to sleep its no life for him being in so much pain day in day out he will thank you for it and dont feel bad about it you are doing the best for him you have loved each other for 14 years its time to say goodbye god bless you in making this difficult desicion xxx

• no one can lead you one way or the other, the fact that you have written this means you are close to making a decision the fact of the matter is if you look at your dog and you think he is suffering than it is time. you have done what you could and your not being a bad person for having to make this choice. His quality of life has changed and not for the better so it's time to let him go. Your vet was probably trying to lead you in this direction but didn't want to hurt your feelings. make an appt at the vets, make your dog a steak dinner and bring him in. Good luck sorry for your loss

• Hi.I cant even imagine having to make that decision with my dog, I mean we all hope that they will live forever, right? No one on here can tell you the right thing to do, only you know that in your heart. Is he in pain? If he is then you know the answer, dont let your baby suffer at all because that is selfish. I wish that I could help you. I know just how they wind themselves around our hearts. I almose cried reading your question & I dont even know you. Good Luck and God Bless both of you

• A friend of mine had a Cocker Spaniel, who was diagnosed with cancer of the mouth (it was located on the roof of his mouth). She loved her dog so much, she couldn't bear the thought to lose him.He was given only up to two months to live, as it's a very aggressive cancer. During the first week after the diagnose, she called me every night crying, and saying that she would never let him go. On the 8th day, she asked me how would she know when it was time? I assured her that she would know when the time was right. She replied, again, that she couldn't let him go because she loved him so. I told her that she will let him go because she loves him so. On the 9th night, she called me again crying, and said that I was right, she knew the time came, as she couldn't bear to watch him choke on his food, and hear him moaning from the pain any longer. She asked me if I would be there with her, at the vet, I did go with her. It was so heartbreaking, and the last words she said to him were:" Because of you, I do now know what true love really is, and it is because I truly love you that I'm able to let you go!"Thank you for caring so much for your dog. Don't torment yourself. When the time is right, you will let him go, and be at peace with it. It'll be the ultimate gift of love.

• count how many hours in a day are enjoyable for the dog. If more hours are spent simply laying in the bed, not eating etc, then it may be time to help him go to sleep permanently. The decision is never easy and nobody can tell you when it is right. I always know when my animals have had enough and just to be sure, I ask my vet "if this animal was your own pet, what would YOU do"? I have an excellent relationship with my vet and trust him implicitly to do what is right for the animal. One thing I would like to say is this. If you decide that the time has come. Keep a tight hold on your emotions until the dog has passed. Do not allow the sound of your weeping and wailing be the last thing he hears. Do not allow this to make his passing stressful and fearful. It will be hard, but hold on to the thought that your dog needs to die with you holding him, telling him that you love him, that he is a good dog, and to go to sleep. Allow his passing to be filled with your inner strength, peace and in the knowledge that his owner loves him dearly.Once he has gone to sleep, then you can weep, scream, yell, cry all you like. I would never let one of my beloved pets die being afraid because I was crying and wailing. It upsets my dogs if I cry in front of them at any time. Imagine how much worse it would be in a vet surgery, in pain and apprehensive. Call on your UN training, and for HIS sake, find the strength to be strong for him and let his final seconds be ones of calm as he slips away hearing you calmly telling him that you love hinm and giving him permission to go to sleep. I cannot belive that someone actually recommended you walk away and leave your dog to die alone in the arms of strangers. That is out and out selfish.

• Losing a family member, namely your J.R. is heart wrentching. You'll know when his quality of life has gotten to the point that he no longer is enjoying life. No one can make that decision for you, except you. 14 wonderful years is a great life for a J.R. We're lucky that we can choose euthanasia for our pets instead of making them suffer. Think things through with your head, not your heart. What would he want?