Is it normal for dogs to eat their own faeces??

We bought a 3 month old miniature bull terrier yesterday who still hasn't been housetrained. He's had a couple of poos and wees on the floor which isn't a problem, the problem is that whenever he has a poo you have to move fast to stop him eating it. Is…

Is it normal for dogs to eat their own faeces??

We bought a 3 month old miniature bull terrier yesterday who still hasn't been housetrained. He's had a couple of poos and wees on the floor which isn't a problem, the problem is that whenever he has a poo you have to move fast to stop him eating it. Is…...
    General Dog Discussions : Is it normal for dogs to eat their own faeces??...

• Maybe not normal but more common than you think. Once the habit starts it's so hard to break. Sometimes adding an enzyme like Prozyme to the dog food will help. You can get a free sample, I think you pay shipping. Link below.

• I hear this one alot at work (veterinary assistant) . The reason they eat their poo is that is has alot of nutrients in it from the get go and some dogs desire it again ( I know yuck!). Call a local vet or pet store and see if they have something called FORBID it is a product u put in his food ( won't harm him) it makes the poo taste very very nasty. A couple of dose of FORBID and he should drop the habit.

• Coprophagia (the eating of faeces) is one behaviour problem that people find very hard to understand. The plain truth is that your dog thinks that faeces taste nice.It is a good idea to get him checked by your vet, as some medical conditions can increase appetite, so making coprophagia more likely. Nutritional deficiencies can also lead to coprophagia.The problem is easier to tackle. First look at his diet. The richer the diet, the less is taken out as it passes through the digestive system and the tastier the faeces! Try changing to a dry diet with a lower protein level. Alternative methods reported to work include feeding pineapple or an iron tablet in the meal which can render the faeces less palatable or clean up the faeces immediately before they can be eaten. If your dog is eating his own 'accidents' when you are not home, crate trainning should help.Dogs also roll around in their faeces.... this goes back to their hunting instincts.....they roll around in poo to disguise their scent among prey. Welcome to puppyhood...dogs can be pretty gross. Their farts get wild after eating poo too!!!!

• MY DOG POOPED ON THE FLOOR AND WHEN I WENT TO GO GET MY BOYFRIEND AT THE TIME TO DISCIPLINE HIM WHEN WE CAME BACK HE HAD EATEN THE POOPED BECAUSE HE KNEW HE WAS WRONG...THEN HE THROW IT UP IT WAS GROSS.

• Well, my mom and dad had a dog that did this his whole life. He was a German Shepherd and lived to be 13 years old. We tried to stop him whenever we could and also tried to pick it up before he could get to it. We tried something our vet suggested, but did not work on him, but it may work for someone else out there. After he goes, sprinkle some cayenne pepper on it and when he tries to eat it, he wll get a taste of the "hot" cayenne pepper. This has supposedly worked for some dogs, but every dog is different. Good luck.