how can i make my dog stop jumping on me and visitors?

she is a lab mix....9 mos. old....she is getting big and she is starting to hurt people...i really need some advice...

she is a lab mix....9 mos. old....she is getting big and she is starting to hurt people...i really need some advice......
    General Dog Discussions : how can i make my dog stop jumping on me and visitors?...

• how can i make my dog stop jumping on me and visitors?

how can i make my dog stop jumping on me and visitors? General Dog Discussions
      she is a lab mix....9 mos. old....she is getting big and she is starting to hurt people...i really need some advice...

how can i make my dog stop jumping on me and visitors? General Dog Discussions
    • I was told by a vet to take your knee and stick it out when they jump up so that it bumps them in the chest. (not hard) but enough to push them back. ANd tell them "DOWN" with a firm voice. They say if you do it long enough they will stop.My dog right here now knows the word down. He was never tall enough for my knee to reach his chest but it did work with putting my knee up slightly and saying down.

• When she jumps, put your knee up and say "DOWN!" in a loud voice. Tell your visitors to do the same-have you gone to any puppy obedience classes? If not, check with your local PetsMart or veterinarian.

• Dogs get excited and they have cute ways of showing it my dog (boxer) was the same way...it takes a lot of patience and time. Train her to jump on you and off on command. (try the words UP and DOWN) Use little treats you dont have to give her a huge slab of meat if she does it right, something small is just fine.

• Use the palm of your hand to tap her/him on the nose (not hard) when he/she jumps, while saying "NO" in a stern loud voice. A dog hates to be popped on the nose. That's what I am doing to help keep my german shepherd from jumping.

• Ignore the jumping, reward it when she's sitting down or when she's quiet. Then she will learn that she gets attention when she is well behaved, and not when she's jumping on people.If you tell her off everytime she jumpes onto you and visitors, that is negative attention, but still attention to her. So she will keep on doing it, unless you'll ignore it.

• You can start teaching her "down". When ever she jumps on you say "down" then push her off of you and give her a treat, or it might work if you say "down" and throw a treat on the ground. That command also works good to get her off couches. If you already use "down" as a command for something else, it also makes since to say "off" instead. Good luck! :)

• Kicking or kneeing the dog does work but only if you do it hard enough to actually hurt the dog, and than you will have to do it every time the dog jumps. Using a positve reward method will be much more effective. When you have visitors come, have them come with treats, or have some outside the door they will be coming in, have them ask her to sit and than reward her for doing the right thing. Also you can keep her on a leash when you are expecting people and than do the same thing, ask her to sit and require that she remain sitting until the people are in the house. If she deviates ( jumps etc..) ignore her, do not pet her, do not repremand her. You can give her a command she knows such as sit or down and than immediately give the reward again. It will take a bit of time, but labs are smart and willing - it will come along.

• Dogs jump because they want to greet and interact with us. But mostly because we have trained them to, so it doesn't seem right to punish them for it. When the dog jumps up on you, turn your back, stand still like a statue, and fold your arms. Let the dog jump all over you, until it realizes that you are not interacting with it. It will soon become puzzled and jump off you and sit or stand. Immediately your statue comes alive, and starts to pat and interact with the dog. As soon as the dog sits, praise the dog, give it a small treat. She will soon learn sitting is the way to great you. Have friends do the same when they come over, she will get the idea. This same principle can be used for gates and getting in and out of cars. If the dog jumps around, stand still and don't open the door until it sits.

• Been there, done that. LOL. I have 2 words for you... spray bottle. Keep it by the door (as I presume, that most of the jumping is upon arriving home, or when guests come to visit) and just water in the bottle and when they jump you spray right in the face, they won't be jumping much longer. I suggest keeping it by the door that way guests can use it as well. Hopefully the guests you have are regular friends that wont mind this duty, not like your boss or someone you are trying to impress or whavever, in that case I would put the dog in another room untill you have corrected the behavior. I think this will work exceptionally well, at least it always has for me in the past. Good luck

• I'm retraining an 18 month old dalmatian at the mo which i've recently been given as his owners can't cope with him. I'm using the word 'OFF' firmly & push him off every time he jumps up. I then turn my back on him so he can't get my attention. you have to be consistent, always use the same word & get everyone else to treat him the same. I use OFF instead of DOWN as many dogs think DOWN means lie down whereas OFF can be used as a general command if your dog jumps on people, sofas, beds etc. my dog has improved dramatically over the last 3 weeks so this is definitely working. Something else that can work is squirting him him the face with a small water pistol as he goes to jump up so he learns it isn't a pleasant experiance

• Teach "sit" first. Then teach "OFF". Try to use the word "OFF" since later in training you will be using "DOWN", to tell her to lay down.When she jumps on you, turn your back to her and say "OFF!" When she gets down immediately get down on her level and pet her. And tell her she is good for staying off. My dogs were the worst when I came home, because they were so excited to say hi. So I bring treats with me in the car and as soon as I walk in the door I tell them to sit. When I do I give them a treat and pet the heck out of them while staying down on their level so they don't have to jump up to greet me. When you are expecting visitors, put her leash on her, just let her drag it around with her. When your visitors come, be ready to step on the leash or grab it and pull her back. At the same time say "OFF!" Use the word a lot, repetition is how they learn. Remember to praise and pet her when when she is staying off! GOOD LUCK!!

• The best way is to ignore the dog,{ and get everyone to do the same} and once it gets bored with not getting any attention and sits down then and only then give it lots of praise it will soon respond to positive attention once it knows whats expected of it.{ probably the only way its learned to get attention} give it more walks and games , its only craving attention.