My dog got into a confrontation with a cat?

He has a large wound on his face (near his mouth). It's not scabbing over, it's still yellowish. His lip is slightly swollen but not much. I had this before with my other dog but I just picked that for a few weeks and rubbed detol in. This was on the…

He has a large wound on his face (near his mouth). It's not scabbing over, it's still yellowish. His lip is slightly swollen but not much. I had this before with my other dog but I just picked that for a few weeks and rubbed detol in. This was on the…...
    General Dog Discussions : My dog got into a confrontation with a cat?...

• My dog got into a confrontation with a cat?

My dog got into a confrontation with a cat? General Dog Discussions
      He has a large wound on his face (near his mouth). It's not scabbing over, it's still yellowish. His lip is slightly swollen but not much. I had this before with my other dog but I just picked that for a few weeks and rubbed detol in. This was on the neck and healed really quickly. Any ideas on how to go about this? Should I use the same method or salt water or something else?

My dog got into a confrontation with a cat? General Dog Discussions
    • You should take him to the vet, he might have an abscess in which case would need antibiotics which you do not have, it has to be a particular antibiotic. Don't try to treat this at home, he could go into septic shock if it's not cared for properly.

• keep it clean and dry - if its oozing pus he might need antibiotics, in the meantime clean it with either salt water or cooled boiled water, if its no better within 24 hours he might need to see the vet

• If you value how your dog looks, take it to the vet to stitch the wound so it would heal perfectly. If you know how to clean the wound yourself at home, then you must to hasten its healing. You just can't be too sure if the nose goes where it should be or the eyes would land elsewhere. Funny thing about scars, they pull as they close and they close fast even if not in the proper alignment.If you do nothing, the wound will heal slowly as long as you keep the dog healthy. Just convince yourself that that is still your dog even if its head is like a swollen watermelon.