Questions about dog food to be answered by people who own dogs.?

I feed my dog pedigree chump every day for lunch and dinner(obviously i give her more than just that, she gets porridge for breakfast, dog treats, food scraps such as chicken, turkey etc now and then). Is food like Pedigree chump good for dogs? I have a…

Questions about dog food to be answered by people who own dogs.?

I feed my dog pedigree chump every day for lunch and dinner(obviously i give her more than just that, she gets porridge for breakfast, dog treats, food scraps such as chicken, turkey etc now and then). Is food like Pedigree chump good for dogs? I have a…...
    General Dog Discussions : Questions about dog food to be answered by people who own dogs.?...

• I've always used Science Diet. You can use Iams and Eukanuba they are about the same. They are a huge up grade from Pedigree. There are alot of designer dog foods out there. They are the dog versions of the sports nutrition that you find in humans, but just like humans they cost alot more.

• Here's the 2006 list from the Whole Dog Journal. These are highest quality foods. Most of these are not carried at large chain stores but you can usually find them at small pet stores, feed and grain stores, etc. Artemis: www.artemispetfood.com Azmira: www.azmira.com Back to Basics: www.beowulfs.com Bench & Field Holistic Natural Canine: www.benchandfield.com Blue Buffalo: www.bluebuff.com Burns: www.bpn4u.com by Nature BrightLife: www.bynaturepetfoods.com California Natural: www.naturapet.com Canidae: www.canidae.com Canine Caviar: www.caninecaviar.com Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul: www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com Cloud Star Kibble: www.cloudstar.com Drs. Foster & Smith: www.drsfostersmith.com Eagle Pack Holistic Select: www.eaglepack.com Evolve: www.evolvepet.com Firstmate Dog Food: www.firstmate.com Flint River Ranch: www.flintriver-pet-food.com Foundations: www.petcurean.com Fromm Four Star Nutritionals: www.frommfamilyfoods.com Go! Natural: www.petcurean.com Hund-N-Flocken: www.solidgoldhealth.com Innova: www.naturapet.com Innova Evo: www.naturapet.com Karma Organic: www.karmaorganic.com Lick Your Chops: www.healthypetfoodsinc.com Lifespan: www.petguard.com Limited Diets: www.royalcanin.us Merrick Pet Foods: www.merrickpetcare.com Mmillennia: www.solidgoldhealth.com Natural Balance Ultra Premium: www.naturalbalanceinc.com Natural Choice Ultra: www.nutroproducts.com Newman's Own Organics: www.newmansownorganics.com NutriSource: www.nutrisourcedogfood.com Organix: www.castorpolluxpet.com Performatrin Ultra: www.performatrinultra.com PHD Viand: www.phdproducts.com Pinnacle: www.breeders-choice.com Prairie: www.naturesvariety.com Premium Edge: www.premiumedgepetfood.com Prime Life: www.ompetproducts.com Royal Canin Natural Blend: www.royalcanin.us Timberwolf Organics: timberwolforganics.com VeRUS: www.veruspetfoods.com Wellness: www.oldmotherhubbard.com Wellness Simple Food Solutions: www.oldmotherhubbard.com Wenawe: www.wenawe.com.uy Wysong: www.wysong.net Zinpro: www.lincolnbiotech.com

• If you're in Britain I can heartily recommend Burns.It's a dry food and comes in chicken, lamb, venison, fish and duck varieties and is an excellent food with no additives.The company also does 'Mini Bites' which is a smaller kibble designed for pups and small breeds.Their website is www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk

• hi, my girls are very fussy, they like tesco, sainsbury's and adsa foil tray food, not the tinned food. They have that for breakfast and bakers dried food for small breeds for lunch and tea. They have tea and biscuits later in the morning, and scape's, winalot biscuits, and rawhide chews.They say dried food is good for doggies teeth and wet food has a good variety of flavours, they also have dental sticks in the evening.I think everyone has there own opion on wet food, dried food and of course human food, i dont think as a nation we will never agree on wants is really good for our dogs.

• My six dogs are fed a Barf diet,they look good on it,have great coats,no skin problems,and not that much poop,its a little extra work to prepare,but well worth it in my opinion,I have Mastiffs,we have never suffered with a case of bloat,and just before Christmas lost one at the grand old age of thirteen years,which is pretty good for this breed,Wendy

• All dog food is tested on dogs, Pedigree who make Chum own one of the largest testing laboratories.The canned food is not a complete dog food, it says so on the label. Your dog also needs biscuit.The diet your feeding your dog isn't really healthy. Canned food and plain mixer with a few dark green leafy vegetables and carrots is fine.Try Butchers brand dog food and a plain supermarket own brand mixer.

• Try looking at the Burns Pet Food web site. They use only natural ingredients with no additives. The food seems to be expensive but is very economical because you don't need to give your dog much at each meal.You can get Burns in the better pet shops and they deliver as well. I used Iams years ago but felt that their standards slipped . I'm not happy with all the additives in most of the canned foods, Butchers Tripe is probably the safest.Burns do a great dog treat - small pieces of cod baked in rice flour. My dogs love them.

• Food below 20% in protein is very good for dogs. I feed my dog James Wellbeloved dry food and Webbox meat, both low in protein. But you should apply this theory to your treats as well, nothing above 20% protein.NOTE: DO NOT FEED YOUR DOG RAISINS, ONIONS, GRAPES, CHOCOLATE OR ANY PORK PRODUCTS (INCLUDING PIGS EARS) - THESE ARE THE WORST FOODS YOU CAN POSSIBLY FEED THEM.

• First of all - does the porridge have milk in it cause thats really bad for dogs. Also watch she doesn't get fat from too many treats cause thats bad for them too. Food wise, my collies rather unique in that she is allergic to meat and animal products, but I found a vegetarian food called HappiDog that is quite cheap, but seems to be good quality. She also gets a can of tuna a day which she tolerates. We just started feeding tuna to our other dogs cause they go absolutly nuts for it and its really quite cheap - less than a can of dog meat for pure fish- no artificail anythings, although it does need to go with a complete food of some type. Our more nomal dogs are fed on James Well Beloved at the moment, which is hypoallergenic, but more nomal, chicken and rice, duck, egg etc. It doesn't have any nasty things in it and provides a good well balenced nutrient source.

• I like Bakers. It's crunchy and has a whole selection of flavours. I'm a big fan of cheese but it goes straight thru' me. I got a fat ball recently, tasty, but OH the consequences were not worth it. Cleaned me out faster than an enema. Watch the food scraps, hidden fat and sugars, weight and teeth problems. Most of us dogs like one food for a while and change now and then. We are creatures of habit.

• I actually make my own food so I am not sure about Pedigree. I am going to assume that it probably isn't the best. (I am not a dog snob by the way) I had a pooch for 15 years and fed him anyhting that was on sale. Now that I have more time I am trying to be a little more creative. I am sure that you know that there is quite a lot of resources on the web. You could google "best canned dog food" or try some of the healthy dog magazines/websites. Whole Dog Journal has an article this month in their sample section http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/sample/food.html This may help.Best of LuckBill

• I have an ex-racing greyhound. He is fed on Vitalin (complete food, just add water). If we have any leftovers from our meal, if suitable they are sometimes mixed in with his meal.Although my dog is a pet, the food is suitable (designed for) working dogs. I checked with a few people who know the breed, and was told that as a general rule of thumb I should aim for 18-22% protein in his diet.I don't know the nutritional requirements for a westie though. Sorry.Speak to people who are familiar with the breed, and when you next go shopping, take a look at the nutrition details on the packaging for any other vitamins and minerals. Be aware that dog-food manufacturers are not selling to dogs, they are selling to HUMANS. So many will make it look appealing to the HUMAN by adding colourings (the dog doesn't care what the food looks like!). Gullible people then think that they are giving their dog "the best" because they are buying an expensive (overpriced) brand, and it must be good because it "looks nice".Sometimes the expensive food is worth it, say if your dog has a sensitive stomach, but I'd take guidance from your vet if that's the case.IMPORTANT - FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE PACKAGING. If it says the food is to be given with a mixer, do so, or your dog will miss out on vital nutrients. If it says to add water, then it's very important that you do so. Otherwise it will expand in her (probably already full) belly as it moistens. Hopefully I don't need to tell you why THAT is bad!!I've no experience of Pedigree Chum, but we did once buy our dog Bakers Complete. Full of colourings/additives and it played havoc with his guts (Plus they're owned by Nestle, one of the most boycotted brands in the world, and with good reason). So we don't buy that any more.A final point, if you plan to change your dog's diet, it's advisable to do so GRADUALLY (ie. over 1-2 weeks). Mix a small amount of the "new" food in with what she is used to. Slowly increase the amount of "new" food and decrease the other stuff until the new food has replaced the old.Good luck.

• well in my experience dry food is the best for dogs and plenty of water. with my last dogs i gave them tinned food and they all ended up having problems and in 1 particular case the vet said a lot of the problems was were exaserbated by mine giving tinned food