Can you tell me more about Mini Schnauzers?

I had a question that asked what small breed do you recommend and I chose "Schnauzers", and with the three Miniature, Standard and Giant, I chose Miniature. Now I want to know more about them. Please help me.

I had a question that asked what small breed do you recommend and I chose "Schnauzers", and with the three Miniature, Standard and Giant, I chose Miniature. Now I want to know more about them. Please help me....
    Dog Breed Discussions : Can you tell me more about Mini Schnauzers?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can you tell me more about Mini Schnauzers?

Can you tell me more about Mini Schnauzers? Dog Breed Discussions
      I had a question that asked what small breed do you recommend and I chose "Schnauzers", and with the three Miniature, Standard and Giant, I chose Miniature. Now I want to know more about them. Please help me.

Can you tell me more about Mini Schnauzers? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Well we used to have one and if you are going to get one I strongly advise you get one from a breeder that has done health genetic testing. Diabetes, pancreatitis, are other major problems with the breed. My family has owned one, and my uncle's family have owned one ever since I can remember. They are usually a one person dog (meaning they will get attached to one person in the household only). Ours was attached to my mom, and snapped at the rest of the family unless we had food. They are not good with children at all. Our developed diabetes at only 5 years of age. She ended up going blind, having seizures, having strokes, etc by age 9. We ended up having to put her down. We had spent tons of money on insulin, special dog food, and vet visits for her. It was worth it becuase we loved her, but just letting you know how much a dog could cost. I know a lot of my uncle's schnauzers developed diabetes as well, and one never made it past the age of 5 due to the genetic problems related to the breed. If I were I'd actually go with a Giant Schnauzer. I think they are more friendly and family orriented, but that's up to you. They are pretty giant.

• Miniature Schnauzer is the result of breeding that started with the Standard Schnauzer, a much larger dog. They were developed by crossing the Standard Schnauzer with smaller breeds like the Miniature Pinscher, Poodle, or Affenpinscher. He is a German breed. ‘Schnauzer’ comes from the word ‘schnauze’ which means ‘muzzle.’ Its purpose was to keep vermin (mainly rats) away from the home and also to make a fine companion. Its watchdog skills are still in effect. Schnauzers hunt, track, do watchdog duties, and compete in obedience and agility and perform tricks.http://www.trainpetdog.com/Miniature-Schnauzer/about-miniature-schnauzer.htmlThe Miniature Schnauzer is generally well mannered and very obedient making him a great student. A very perky breed, they do not do well in kennel life and should always be kept as a companion. This breed loves to be around his owner and does best in a family environment. The Miniature Schnauzer makes a wonderful alarm dog, barking at the sight or sound of something odd or treading onto his territory. This breed is very active, but does not require as much exercise as the Standard variety.The Miniature Schnauzer can have troubles with other dogs, however if properly trained and socialized; this breed can do all right. This breed should be supervised around small children, and does best with older children and more respectable children. The Schnauzer can be combative with other dogs, however if raised with them this breed can do well. They are not recommended for a home with smaller animals such as the cat as they have the tendency to chase them.http://www.nextdaypets.com/directory/breeds/1100233/While generally a healthy breed, Miniature Schnauzers may suffer health problems associated with high fat levels. Such problems include hyperlipidemia, which may increase the possibility of pancreatitis, though either may form independently. Other issues which may affect this breed are diabetes, bladder stones and eye problems. Feeding the dog low- or non-fatty and unsweetened foods may help avoid these problems. Miniature Schnauzers are also prone to comedone syndrome, a condition that produces pus filled bumps, usually on their backs, which can be treated with a variety of protocols. Miniature Schnauzers should have their ears dried after swimming due to a risk of infection, especially those with uncropped ears; ear examinations should be part of the regular annual check up.Schnauzers require regular grooming, either by stripping (mostly seen in show dogs), or by clipping (a short-cut usually reserved for family pets). Stripping removes the loose, dead coat; it may be done by hand, called finger stripping, or plucking, or with a stripping knife; either way, it is a laborious process. Many Miniature Schnauzers who are family pets have regular grooming appointments to have their hair clipped; clipping, using a mechanical clippers (or shaver), produces a soft, silky, skin-close trim. Whether stripped or clipped, the coat is close at the body, and falls into a fringe-like foundation on their undercarriage, called furnishings, which can be left to grow, but must be combed regularly. All Schnauzers, whether they are minis, Standards, or Giants, often sport a beard, created by allowing the hair around their noses to grow out. Left unclipped or unstripped, the body hair will grow two to four inches, and will often tangle into mats and curls.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miniature_Schnauzer