why do people get so worked up about feeding dogs human food?

my dogs always get human food, and it hasnt done them any harm. at christmas they get their dog food, plus turkey, veg and a little bit of gravy, which they loves because it only takes them 2 minutes to eat it all.the only human food my dogs get is,…

why do people get so worked up about feeding dogs human food?

my dogs always get human food, and it hasnt done them any harm. at christmas they get their dog food, plus turkey, veg and a little bit of gravy, which they loves because it only takes them 2 minutes to eat it all.the only human food my dogs get is,…...
    General Dog Discussions : why do people get so worked up about feeding dogs human food?...

• my dogs have always had the same food as we have. even Sunday roast, liver and Bacon etc. they all lived to a ripe old age....old Bo was eighteen when he died.....people do talk a lot of rubbish. a good balanced meal is as good for a dog as it is for a human. there are just a few exceptions like onions, chocolate ETC. but your vet will give you all the information you need on the subject.

• There is nothing wrong with feeding human scraps as long as the food isn't dangerous to dogs. Cooked poultry bones, chocolate, onions, garlic, macadamia nuts, raisins, grapes, and avocados are all dangerous for dogs.I like to feed in the dog's bowl, that way they won't beg when I'm eating off my plate.

• I don't think feeding dogs the food we eat as long as it is nutritious FOR DOGS. When my bully was injured my vet fed him chicken cat food to get him to eat. When it came time to take him home my vet gave me recipes to keep him eating while he was needing it.There are websites out there that have recipes for home made dog food. Take them to your vet and ask him/her for his/her opinion. Your vet should be the only answer that counts.EDIT: As long as you give the dog LEAN meat of any kind then it is OK. Veggies are OK. Some fruits are OK. Just don't give them dangerous foods like one of the other posters gave you.

• If dogs didn't eat people food, we wouldn't see many pancreatitis episodes, chocolate poisoning, obesity and the associated problems of arthritis and heart disease, many allergies and muliple other conditions.Despite the fact we know all this, and tell owners this, it's never their fault when the dog gets one of the above!Edit: Don't know why I am getting thumbs down for telling the truth?Edit 2: I'm not so mucht alking about the raw/barf diets here but titbits and snacks. Dogs stomachs can't cope with the wide range and change in diets that ours can. If you spent at least five hours every week trying to sort out colitises, pancreatitises and hooking dogs up to drip lines because they had a bone stuck in their throats you'd be frustrated too.

• My dogs eat "human" food everyday. They eat prey model raw. There nutritional requirements are being met, they are very healthy, and they don't beg either, yet I sometimes feed them straight from the table off my plate. Why don't the beg when I feed them from the table? Because they've learned that getting in my face gets ignored, but if they lay on the floor nicely during family meals, food might just rain from the sky.

• My current dog has gotten sick from eating people food. At least that is what they vet told me. Something about his stomach not being able to handle too much human food. I still do toss him a little something, but in small amounts. Now I've had other dogs who have no problems eating human food. So maybe its a dog thing, just like some humans cannot eat certain foods.