does garlic really work as natural flea remedy for dogs and is it safe for them to eat?

i did hear you could give garlic to discourage dog fleas, how much should you give them and does anyone know how safe it is - i did hear onions can give dogs leukemia. My doggie is an affenpinscher - around 6 kilos

does garlic really work as natural flea remedy for dogs and is it safe for them to eat?

i did hear you could give garlic to discourage dog fleas, how much should you give them and does anyone know how safe it is - i did hear onions can give dogs leukemia. My doggie is an affenpinscher - around 6 kilos...
    Dog Breed Discussions : does garlic really work as natural flea remedy for dogs and is it safe for them to eat?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• does garlic really work as natural flea remedy for dogs and is it safe for them to eat?

does garlic really work as natural flea remedy for dogs and is it safe for them to eat? Dog Breed Discussions
      i did hear you could give garlic to discourage dog fleas, how much should you give them and does anyone know how safe it is - i did hear onions can give dogs leukemia. My doggie is an affenpinscher - around 6 kilos

does garlic really work as natural flea remedy for dogs and is it safe for them to eat? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I have heard of it, and a few people here swear by it. Question is though, if they're in your house, where are they going to go? IMO you want something that will kill them, not repel them. Repelling is fine, if you don't have a flea problem to start with. Get it?

• Garlic is not good for her either, but it's not as toxic as onions, which can cause anemia. Takes more garlic to hurt her, but it still can. There are better alternatives for flea control.

• I don't know about using garlic, but the Zodiac flea shampoo is the best thing to get rid of fleas that I know of. I've used on my cats since they were little. We never got any of the sprays as the shampoo does an excellant job of killing all those nasty little buggers. It kills fleas, eggs and inhibits new fleas from staying on the animal, which makes them bite you, but fleas cannot survive on human blood. You will probably have to shampoo your dog twice a month for the first couple of months, but after that you should be able to cut that down to once a month. I recommend this product whole heartedly!

• If garlic really worked, we'd all give it to our pets and there would be no fleas. So no, garlic does not work. Onion can cause Heinz Body Anemia, which hurts the red blood cells, so do not give it. Garlic can do the same thing, but you need to give a higher dose. Not a good idea. Just use Advantage or Frontline...they are topicals that are extremely safe, and do not get absorbed into the bloodstream like some other brands like Hartz or Biospot (which are toxic).

• I'd be really careful with this. I have always heard that but I've read more than once that onions and garlic to a lesser degree are not good for dogs. If you do use, I'd use it EXTREMELY sparingly. I also read that it depends on the breed. I may have this mixed up but a dog such as a greyhound would not respond well to garlic. I have given it to a couple of my dogs but only in very very little amounts mixed in with their food. I'm sufficiently nervous that I just won't do it at all anymore. Use boric acid (Borax) in your home for flea control in the living areas (not to feed to pets). I don't know if it's proven but it has worked for me.

• I heard the same thing many years ago but not recently.. I have heard that if u put a lil bit of vinegar in their water it'll keep fleas from biting them..stay off them. But advantage flea repellent works great. Get it from your vet.