Whats the best food to feed a puppy?

i have a 9 week old staffordshire terrier..and i was wondering what the best food i can buy him...i am giving him dry Pedigree Puppy food...and i feed him 4 times a day only a little hand full....but when i feed him his belly swells out...even if i feed…

Whats the best food to feed a puppy?

i have a 9 week old staffordshire terrier..and i was wondering what the best food i can buy him...i am giving him dry Pedigree Puppy food...and i feed him 4 times a day only a little hand full....but when i feed him his belly swells out...even if i feed…...
    General Dog Discussions : Whats the best food to feed a puppy?...

• must feed him yogert with little suger everyday.the food which you eat ,give him to eat little amount of that food.sock bread in milk and give him to eat.

• You can really do much better than Pedigree for your puppy, it is garbage - so is Kibbles n bits, any food with soft pieces is very high in sugar & salt. You want to stay away from corn, wheat & soy. artificial dyes & preservatives. Here is some info about ingredients http://www.ourpetfood.com/comparison.htmlhttp://www.woodhavenlabs.com/dogfoods.html

• Stop feeding the dog that kind of food. He might be having an allergic reaction, so start feeding him a different brand. I prefer to put warm water in the dog food and let it soak. It prevents bloating, and it helps the dog digest. That's what I do with my dog.

• my son feeds his staffi pup on pedigree chum puppy food he has it mix with puppy mixer biscuite he soaks the biscuite in water then when its soft he add the meat

• Hi Bob,This is what I Told & gave all my clients when they picked up their Golden pups from me.Breakfast 1 cup of moistended dry puppy food.Lunch 1 cup of moistened puppy foodDinner 1 cup of moistened puppy food.Now Golends are large breed dogs so I told them to get a high quality puppy food for large breed dogs. One with no corn or wheat or soy or by products.Now since the recalls if I were still breeding I would suggest to them to get Canidae all life stages dog food. It is free of all the added things that are not good for pups or dogs.You can feed your pup Candiae from now until it is a very old dog. You will never have to change the food when he gets older.Sounds to me as if your pups is getting a lot of air in it's stomach from not getting proper nutrituion. Too many filler in the food your now giving your pup. Corn is a big gas producer for many dogs. Also you need to give your pup more than a hand full of food at time. Measure his food out this way you will know how much he is eating.Give the Canidae a try, and the feeding schedule I suggested and see if this doesn't make your pup a bit happier.Enjoy your day!

• I feed Paul Newman's organic food; a little shortage now since everyone decided to start buying it due to the other recal ; they said that they will have problem correctly shortly; dry food swells up in pup's belly ; that is normal ; did you ever drop a piece of dry food in water and see it expands 3 times the dry size; same thing happens in pup especially when he washes down with a drink; feed according to instructions; if he spits up then just a little less x 4 times a dayIams has had problems with dog food (recall) and there has been some evidence of problem with the dry food as well ; basically any food that you buy in the grocery store is not good quality ; you pay for what you get; you want a bargain buy IAMS, Pedigree,Beneful, Purina etc; you are not getting a good quality food only a popular name and convenience to buy in your local supermarket

• Talk to the vet about using using large dog puppy chow or medium dog puppy chow. Then choose a dry dog food that you like. I use the Purina Pro brands for my puppies and plain Purina dog food, otherwise, and my dogs are fine.Also, feed amounts according to the directions on the package, because some dogs will gorge themselves. And they will get fat. I suggest feeding only twice a day (same amount of food) rather than four times a day. Some people feed their dogs twice a day for the rest of their lives. But it is OK to feed a dog just once a day. Puppies do better with two feedings. And when your puppy is a year old, you might want to reduce food a little in the summer, and increase a little in the winter.A little belly bloating is normal for a young puppy. As long as he is happy and hungry, that is OK. Make sure he has plenty of water, all the time. By the way, now is the time to teach him how to sit, come, to respond to his name, to lie down, and to walk gently on a leash. Also, introduce him to lots of different friendly people. In about 4 weeks, whent he vet says that it is OK and he has had his shots, then introduce him to lots of friendly dogs. If you socialize him now with people, dogs, cats, squirrels, horse,... or any other animals that he may run into, then he will grow into a sweet and gentle dog.

• Pedigree is the absolute worst choice to feed your dog! Sure, they support shelters and all, but then why can't they add better ingredients to their kibbles and canned foods??Read the ingredients on ANY package of dog food you want to feed your dog. If it has Corn, Wheat, Brewers Rice, Ground Rice, by-products, or meal meal in it, steer clear!!If you go by the above, then you have to rule out a large majority of the brands out there.Never feed any of these:PedigreePurina in any of it's formsIamsEukanubaScience DietNutroRoyal CaninEagle Packgrocery store brandsPlease check out Merrick. They make the best of the best in kibble and canned foods. The ingredients are of the highest quality and are human grade, meaning they are good enough for you to eat too.Here is the website:www.merrickpetcare.com

• With all the recalled products recently, I would suggest using Flint River Ranch, an organic, all natural dog food that contains no preservatives or additives. I work at a dog boarding and training facility and we feed all the dogs this food. It is human quality dog food that is oven-baked so it still contains all the vitamins and minerals and it is chicken based. They also have a fish based and a lamb based food available. Go to "larascaninesolutions.com" to order this food and it will be delivered to your home with no shipping charge. It's a little bit expensive, but great for your dog!

• i'm only posting to emphasize what abbyful said. i second that. please listen to her. your puppy is doing very important growing. check the label of the food you feed the puppy. although i fed my dog pedigree when he was a puppy, too, because i fell for the "premium". he is okay now... (and i feed him home-made food now) but i still regret to this day that i fed him that crap during the most important stage of his life.

• That belly swelling is usually just a puppy thing, but to tell you the truth, Pedigree is not a good food at all. Pedigree is mostly corn and dogs don't need to be eating a corn-based diet. In fact, many dogs develop allergies to corn. Pedigree also has by-products as its main meat source, which is basically just leftover scraps of the animal that are not fit for human consumption. By-products are a very poor source of nutrition. What your pup needs is a high quality, meat based puppy or all life stages food.Some foods I reccomend are:Canidae All Life Stages. If you have other dogs you could feed them this food as well, since it is all life stages, plus you could feed this food to your pup for its whole life without switching to another. I feed this to all 3 of my dogs and they love it. It is a high quality food but the price is good. I pay $35 for a 40 lb. bag at my local feedstore. It adds up to only about 88 cents per pound, so if you are looking for a high quality food, but you want to save money, then Canidae is the way to go. The meat sources in Canidae are human grade chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, lamb meal and herring (fish) meal.By Nature Puppy Formula. You can buy it at Petsmart. It has garlic in it which helps ward off fleas. The meat sources are chicken meal, lamb meal, and chicken.Solid Gold Hundchen Flocken Puppy Food. You can get it at Petco. It costs about $41 for a 33 lb bag -about $1.24 per lb. The main meat sources in this one are lamb, lamb meal, and fish meal.Fromm Puppy Gold. This food contains probiotics which help aid digestion. I think is costs about $40 for a 33 lb bag at my local feedstore -about $1.21 per lb. The main meat sources are duck, chicken meal, chicken, and fish meal.Orijen Puppy food. This one contains probiotics, tonic herbs and botanicals, and organic minerals. The meat sources in this one are fresh chicken meat, chicken meal, turkey meal, northern whitefish, and salmon meal.California Natural Puppy Food. This one comes in Lamb Meal and Rice, or Chicken Meal and Rice formulas.Artemis Fresh mix Medium/Large Breed Puppy. The meat sources are chicken, turkey, chicken meal, turkey meal, lamb meal and salmon.When you switch from Pedigree, do it slowly, because you can upset the pups stomach and digestive tract when you switch abruptly. A good method is as follows: (for each meal)day one -3 parts Pedigree and 1 part new foodday two -3 parts Pedigree and 1 part new foodday three -2 parts Pedigree and 2 parts new foodday four -2 parts Pedigree and 2 parts new foodday five -1 part Pedigree and 3 parts new foodday six -1 part Pedigree and 3 parts new foodby day 7 you can start feeding only the new foodHave fun with your new pup. And kudos to you for looking into a better food.

• the best puppy food we found for our dog when he was small was purina puppy,then when he gets older he can go on to purina junior and finnally on to purina senior.

• The reason your puppys belly is swelling is probably that dry food can swell in the stomach when the dog takes a drink.Dry food is deffinatly best for dogs as it has al the nutrients they need.Have you checked that you are feeding him the right amount of food for his weight?If the problem persists I would take him to the vet and ask their adviceor you could try dog meat and mixer

• all dry dog food swells up when digested, dry dog food is the best because it has all the vitamins, fibre,protein,iron and so on that your dog needs, if you feed him wet food i.e canned food you will still have to feed him/her vitamins to keep your dog healthy. and it will get bad wind and bad breath. hope this helps. you should give your dog about half a pint tumbler a day, it should tell you on the side of the box how much to give.

• i would ask your vet for advice regarding feeding when mine where pups it was little and often also find out from the person you got him off what he was feeding him on good luck

• I would just do research on the breed and normally Petsmart has books on your breed and they tell you exactly what to feed them. My dogs do the same thing. I guess they are just full so their bellies get bigger.

• yes you should feed him 4 times a day he needs it but why dont you leave it down for him to help himself try giveing him bakers complete the puppy one with mince morsel that way the pup is getting meat as well pups until they are around six months food should be avaliable for them to nibble they are like babys they need there food i never ever take the food away from my pups not until they are about 6 months old and also just give the pup a lttle of tin dog food about 3 times a day i dont like my dogs haveing to much tin dog food i would rather them have mostly dried food and i also give them tripe my friend is a reg breeder of staffs and she only ever gives her dog boiled tripe and dried food and she has 5 lovely staffs