Is there a home remedy to cure a canine ear infection?

Our black lab has had an ear infection on and off for a long time regarless of what drops the vet has given us. I have cleaned his ears with cotton balls or paper towels using a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water. I always make sure to keep his…

Our black lab has had an ear infection on and off for a long time regarless of what drops the vet has given us. I have cleaned his ears with cotton balls or paper towels using a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water. I always make sure to keep his…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Is there a home remedy to cure a canine ear infection?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is there a home remedy to cure a canine ear infection?

Is there a home remedy to cure a canine ear infection? Dog Breed Discussions
      Our black lab has had an ear infection on and off for a long time regarless of what drops the vet has given us. I have cleaned his ears with cotton balls or paper towels using a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water. I always make sure to keep his ears dry even after swimming. Is there a supplement or some other home remedy to cure this ongoing problem?

Is there a home remedy to cure a canine ear infection? Dog Breed Discussions
    • The vets that i work for reccomend using a mixture of one half vinegar and one half water. It does make them stink but i have tried that with my lab and it has worked. But i would say the best thing for you to do is take him back to the vet maybe they could give you a better cleaning solution and proper meds. There are several kinds of ear infections that all need to be treated with different meds.

• I'm not sure the hydrogen peroxide / water mixture is all that great for your dog's ears! You should look at getting an ear cleaner designed specifically for dogs - they are pH balanced for the dogs ears and they are made so that if you don't get all of it out it will evaporate so as not to cause a nice moist environment for the bacteria and yeast to multiply!

• how about treating the cause of the ear infection? most recurring ear infections are because the pet has allergies, either environmental or food. i would be willing to bet that your dog licks and/or chews on his paws as well. what type of food is your dog on? has he ever been put on steroids? if so, did the allergy problem resolve while on them? you could try ruling out food allergies by doing a food trial. this involves feeding a hypoallergenic food for at least 8 weeks. no chicken, beef, turkey, lamb, corn, wheat, or soy. instead feed a food that contains either venison, duck, rabbit, bison, pheasant, or fish and see if the problem gets better or totally resolves. if not, your dog might have environmental allergies and there are medications that can help with that as well.

• You should never try and treat an ear infection your self, you can cause more harm than good, you should see the vet again, my Lab suffers from recurrent ear infections due to skin allergies, I get an ear wash from the vet that I have to use twice a week and ear drops for when it flares up.It may be that he is prone to these infections, but you do need to get the right treatment from the vet.

• What we use for our poodles (we use to have horrible ear infections, but don't anymore)- we make a mixture of iodoform powder, zinc oxide, and boric acid. I don't have the exact link, but you can find it by googling poodle ear and iodoform powder. It's expensive to make, but is worth it!Also, check what dog food your dog is on- if it's got a high corn content, or if he's allergic to some of the ingredients, it could be giving him the ear infections.