What are some dog breeds that you believe are best to purchase from the country they originated from?

Just wondering. Also, do you think that for some breeds, the country they originated from try and stay more true to the breed than other countries that sell/breed the same breed?If you could purchase any <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/9-dog-breed/?s=cb6cc5048765370edfdc4069dab251a6c6416a57">dog breed</a> from another country-what breed would it…

What are some dog breeds that you believe are best to purchase from the country they originated from?

Just wondering. Also, do you think that for some breeds, the country they originated from try and stay more true to the breed than other countries that sell/breed the same breed?If you could purchase any <a href="https://dogencyclopedia.net/articles/entry/9-dog-breed/?s=cb6cc5048765370edfdc4069dab251a6c6416a57">dog breed</a> from another country-what breed would it…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What are some dog breeds that you believe are best to purchase from the country they originated from?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What are some dog breeds that you believe are best to purchase from the country they originated from?

What are some dog breeds that you believe are best to purchase from the country they originated from? Dog Breed Discussions
      Just wondering. Also, do you think that for some breeds, the country they originated from try and stay more true to the breed than other countries that sell/breed the same breed?If you could purchase any dog breed from another country-what breed would it be?Also I apologize if some wording for this question seems off, I couldn't think of how to word some of it better. Thank you in advance to anyone to responds!Thank you all for your input, it was interesting to read and many gave good points.

What are some dog breeds that you believe are best to purchase from the country they originated from? Dog Breed Discussions
    • As long as you can trace the lineage to your country and that it's been documented, there should be no problem.I am in love with the wirehaired german pointer who has been mixed up so much in the the USA. Read about them, they are the most loving, calm and yet true to their hunting/pointing abilities, they are my favorite breed.Many of the lines have been mixed in the US so this is a breed I would be more apt to go to the country of origin to purchase.

• It purely depends on the genetics of the breed.If the breed is popular in your country and there is a large 'gene pool' to breed from, then it is safe to buy from your own country (assuming a reputable breeder).If the breed is uncommon and only a few specimens being bred locally, it may be worth going to the country of origin where the gene pool is larger and the breeders of that type of dog are more knowledgable.

• This is very interesting! The problems have occured mainly by some breeders (usually OUTSIDE the country of origin) trying to exaggerate some of the features of the breed. Shar-pei for instance were never as wrinkly as they are now, (english) bulldogs muzzles were not so flat etc etc. But the more popular the breed the more breeders are willing to go with supply and demand. Older breeds that are not so well known outside the country of origin are a different matter. Turkey's Kangal breed and Akbash breed (I have an Akbash) have been unchanged for over 3,000 years. They will eventually become more widespread I am sure, and I only hope that breeders don't try and improve on the perfection that they actually are. Remember also most dogs were bred for a purpose, and when people buy for looks alone - thats when the genetic problems start. Small breeds are being bred smaller and large ones larger.........So, if I ever want another Akbash for instance I will buy "locally" again, for sure.

• It isn't that you need to purchase a dog from the country it originated in, it's that in the USA we've had some silly ideas in the past and have managed to ruin a fair number of breeds...but so have others.For instance, it would do you no good to go to England to get an English Bulldog, they are ruined both here and there.Let's take the German Shepherd Dog. You still have plenty of good specimines of loyal family protectors and solid dogs in rural area, but show ring GSDs and pet store GSDs are totally ruined. Yet you don't necessarily have to turn to Germany to get good dogs, many people import Czech lines of German Shepherd.What I can tell you IS going on is that the basic German approach to dog breeding (expecting even show dogs to be able to still do the job they were bred for...making dogs past tests before becoming fully registerable rather than just giving them papers because their parents were papered...looking at the whole dog including temperment and health rather than physical conformity when standing still...) has over time proven to be superior to the British and American Kennel Club system.

• Very interesting question! I can really only answer for my own breed and in this case, as the Basset has been taken down a very different road once it came out of France, I'd suggest it really depends on what you want, whether you'd go back to France to buy one. This was a breed originally bred to hunt with people who didn't want to get on horseback. They were bred with loose skin so they could go into dense undergrowth without ripping their skin, to flush out game to the gun. Over recent years, those seen in the UK show ring have become a very different animal to how they used to be (even in the UK!), quite a lot being influenced by Bassets coming in from Holland who have become very much bigger, heavier (substance is required, but there is a limit!) lower to the ground and having more wrinkle (more often being seen as better, in show-terms). There has been a recent adjustment to the Breed Standard in the UK, to hopefully produce a return to the always intended 'no exaggeration'. On the other hand, in the US, where the breed used to also be big and heavy, it's gone in the opposite direction, taller and lighter.But that's just the Basset. I'd suggest the 'newer' the breed, the better it would be to go to the country of origin. Over time, all breeds have been adapted to fit popular ideas, from country to country - and a lot of it not for the better of the breed concerned!! Look at what's happened with the GSD, the Bulldog, just for starters. Incidentally the old so-called English type GSD never had a banana back and poor back end. And a lot of that look actually come from recent German imports!! Again, recent amendments to the Breed Standards of these breeds, should make for improvement and a pull back from the deviations that happened.Also, just to say the Shar Pei was 'rescued' from China because it was becoming too wrinkly. It was intended to cut back on the wrinkle. Unfortunately because of all this 'more is better', many breeders went back to breeding for more wrinkle again. This from a UK perspective.

• well that is not generally true, there are some cases where the breed is more correct from their originated countries, like german pointers from germany, vizslas from hungary, russian toy terriers from russia, akita inu from japan, german shepherds from germany... these breeds (well the ones that are actually coming to me now) if you choose to get them from their originated countries, they would be nicer... but i have also seen dogs like yorkshire terriers, in poland they have kennels of the nicest looking dogs, also in hungary... chihuahuas the same, and i believe that most dogs that you would purchase from russia would be absolutely stunning, i.e french poodles of all the sizes, chinese crested both hairless and powder-puff, afghan hounds, german shepherds, caucasian shepherds and so many more... i believe it all has to do with breeding the right dogs together, finding the finest bloodlines, all my dogs apart from my yoirkies came from russia... they all became champions in my country and in russia too. so it all comes down to crossing the best of the best bloodlines together

• Great question! I have had and will probably always have GSD. I am not pleased with what the breed is becoming. I have purchased my dogs from Germany, and will keep doing so. There are many breeders who import good lines and it is possible to find a good one in America, but have been more pleased with the breeders we have used over in Germany. Many of them had quality working lines where the confirmation and Temperment hasn't been screwed with. Thats not to say we did still come across some poorly bred ones in Germany, but the selection was much better. We spent 3 weeks looking until we settled on the ones we used for our current male and female, and couldn't be happier with them. Does it really matter if you go to the country of origin for the breed, no. If you can find a breeder who know the true breed and works to reproduce it, and has successfully, you should do great.

• I agree with Kyra. Definitely a German Shepherd Dog. The American ones make me want to throw up with how ugly they are. I've only met two or so that were gorgeous and I didn't think at the time to ask who their breeder was. If I were to ever purchase one, I would have it imported from Germany or fly there and get it myself.

• Hungarian Mudi ( they are very rare, hardly known outside of Hungary, I would love to own one but finding a breeder seems near impossible)Czech. wolf dog, - my breeder and a group of enthusiasts ho were seeking UKKC recognition of these dogs as a 'breed', DNA tested all eligible 'purebreed' Czech. wolf dogs in the uk, and found them so inbred and closely related to her own that importing one from the continent for the purpose of breeding was the only ethical option.

• I would NOT say that german lined German Shepherds are all that superior anymore. West German Showlines are just as disgraceful as American Showlines, and I almost think they are worse because of the severely weakened state of their hind limbs (BTW, it is West German Showlines you see at crufts). East German Working Lines are good, but they are more and more being introduced to west german showline blood, and anymore DDR dogs are toted as "Superb working lines" and really sold more as icon symbols then true working dogs.Many top dogs in the breed come from the east. Czech working lines, Romania, Dutch lines, etc...American Show Linehttp://www.klgsd.com/American%20Showline.jpgWest German Show Linehttp://www.royalair.org/seigers%2020042007.jpgEast German Working Line (DDR)http://www.spartanville.com/images/bax/bax-stand3-s.jpgCzech line (I notice they tend to be more athletic, finer boned dogs, which in reality is what you WANT in a working dog)http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Dd8p3ENPuiE/TOAXdBQGNuI/AAAAAAAAAFY/_XtmJzvdBfY/s1600/Czech+6.jpgOf course Czech and DDR lines were bred from the same and could basically be considered the same, because of the hype behind "DDR dogs" I believe there is a difference now.