What SMALL dog breeds would you reccommend for young children?

We have a 2 and a half year old who is dog crazy. We have decided to treat her to a puppy. Which SMALL breeds are best with young children and are NOT prone to lots of health problems? Thanks :)in regards to the concern with my daughters age, she has…

What SMALL dog breeds would you reccommend for young children?

We have a 2 and a half year old who is dog crazy. We have decided to treat her to a puppy. Which SMALL breeds are best with young children and are NOT prone to lots of health problems? Thanks :)in regards to the concern with my daughters age, she has…...
    General Dog Discussions : What SMALL dog breeds would you reccommend for young children?...

• to be hoones nothign small is good for kids they both as puppies and babies want to discovery the world so they could harm themselfs i got rottie pupps they not any more they 2 years old but i got my firts pup when my baby was over one yearand as pup already was bigger that my baby was great as i experience her meeting other little dogs she always come up with scraches and sometimes now she scared f it so if i be you i will go for german shepared they great with kids or lab believe little dogs are good when kids at leat 6 or more but i believe u make the right decision good luck

• i personally think an older dog who is used to young children would be alot better than a puppy.little kids tend to pull dogs ears and tails and the puppy wont like it and will snap and bite at the child.you need to wait til your child is older before you get a puppy.

• Definitely a Bichon Frisé - non-moulting soft-coated white fluff balls with big black nose. Excellent temprement and good for those who may have smaller homes or are not able to take them for exceptionally long walks. Ours was there from birth for 2 of our 5 children and for twin grandkids and she was brilliant and the only breed of dog I would trust near a baby. She had a different bark to tell me when the kids were up to mischief or near the doors. They aren't chewers either and get on well with cats (ours starte producing milk and fed the kitten we got!). On the downside I know two people who got boys (get a bitch) and had weeing problems with them and you need to brush them and have them clipped as their coats never fall out. Also ours had no interest in toys (even dog toys). I really miss her :o( and Bichon cross breeds are not the same. If you are after a bigger more active dog then my friend swears by wheaten terrier (also non-moulting). DO NOT GET A JACK RUSSELL as they are snappy, chew everything and shake every toy (and cat) like they are trying to kill a rat!

• First off, always check your local shelter! Or Petfinder.com for a rescue animal. The best breed in my opinion is a cocker spaniel. It is not a teeny tiny dog, but they stay relatively small. Any dog can learn to be tolerant of children if you a)get them young and b)do a kid test. By kid test I mean you should be able to yank the ears and tail, press between the toes, blow on the ears, eyes, and nose, pick them up from behind, and remove a toy from their mouths without an agressive reaction. I do this a lot when I am socializing dogs at our local shelter. I regularly help familes find the "right" dog.As for the posters that say your child is too young, that is hogwash! We have ALWAYS had a variety of pets in our home and my kids have been around them since birth. I am an animal rescue volunteer and foster animals often in addition to our own family furballs. Our kids have been taught to respect animals pretty much since birth, however I begin teaching them with our more tolerant househodl animals. While they are all great, there are a few that will go along with abolutely anything.If your child is dog crazy, that probably means lots of excited squeals whenever they see one, a lot of running up to them and trying to grab them, that sort of thing. This is not a good environment for really small dogs who are already prone to being skittish. A 30-40lb dog would be your best bet. Also if your child has not had regular contact with a dog, "practice" for a month or two with a stuffed dog, explaining where it is okay to pet, and how it is okay to hug/handle the puppy before bringing one home.Also know that it is a learning curve for the dog and your child, dont be too hard on either one. Once you find one with a great temperment, know that your child WILL lay on it, grab it by the neck and tail, drag it around, etc. Just try to keep a close eye, especially the first month with reminders to be gentle like a baby, but also know that your child probably wont seriously injur it. Since they will grow together, they will form an amazing bond.Just please remember that animal adoption is for life, so if you decide it is right for your family, make the commitment to see it through no matter what, dont give up because it is too hard. There are still days when I get frustrated and debate about which one I would rather get rid of my 8yr old son or his dog when he runs around the house, encouraging her to chase and bark, even after I just told him not to rile her up. There will be good and bad days, more bad then good until training is complete and you have settled into a routine. Expect a 6 month adjustment period.

• In response to your question and one of the answers. Do not get a yorkie with small children in the home... yorkies are extremely fragile. I would say a Westie or Pembroke. Never leave a child alone with a puppy/dog... always supervise your child. Children need to be taught how to properly handle a pet. In some cases when a child is bit... it's for the simple fact the child was rough or mean with to the pet.

• Although notorious for health problems cavalier king charles spaniel's are brilliant with children of any age. I have two and they love children but have the personalities where they are so keen to please you can easily train them to behave how you want them to behave around your young child as well as being very tolerant.I wouldn't get a terrier with a young child, I think looking at what a dog has been bred for tells you alot about their nature and there are few terriers who have grown that far away from the terrier instinct.Getting over the cavalier health problems means looking out and paying for a dog who has been bred by a responsible breeder. Pups and their parents should be heart and eye screened and parents should be over the age of 4 years so any serious issues can be spotted and they can be removed from breeding.

• Small breeds and kids don't mix. Small dogs have bones that are fragile and can break if dropped. I would wait until the kid was 5 or so before getting a puppy. Raising a puppy is a lot like raising a kid. If you are set on getting a dog get a bigger one.

• Toy breed pups and a child that young are a recipe for disaster. I understand that you are proud of your daughter for her abilities, but she is TWO, and you can't guarantee any behaviors at that age.There is a good reason why reputable breeders do not sell to families with children under a certain age, and if you check the small breed rescues, they have the same policies.The people who are suggesting you get an adult larger breed dog from the shelter are giving you good advice.Puppies are quite a lot of work, and having a small child and a puppy is double the work. You really need to think this through better.To give you an example, just these last two weeks we have taken in two dogs the family gave up because they were not good with their two 17 month old twins. Turns out the dogs were fine, but the family had no time to train them and take care of the kids. We are now in the process of negotiating with a woman who is trying to rid herself of her dog for the very same reason-she doesn't want to take care of the dog and the kid.I am not stating that you will eventually do that as well, but the majority of small breed dogs are given up to rescue because they were not trained and are not good with small children.Please do not add to this number. Some of them we can't take in and they get euthanized for no good reason other than a bad choice on the part of the owner.