Why is everyone so against free feeding dogs?

I have two dogs (male (60 pounds) and female (50 pounds) and they...-maintain their own weight-have never displayed food aggression-share the same large bowl of food and waterand it just seems so much more humane...whats the harm in it, it seems like…

Why is everyone so against free feeding dogs?

I have two dogs (male (60 pounds) and female (50 pounds) and they...-maintain their own weight-have never displayed food aggression-share the same large bowl of food and waterand it just seems so much more humane...whats the harm in it, it seems like…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Why is everyone so against free feeding dogs?...

• There are a few reasons I would not free feed, but I am not totally against it either if it works for someone else. The reasons I like to feed on a schedule besides the obvious reasons of obesity and such, are #1, my dogs are a breed that are prone to bloat so it's a good idea to limit food intake so they don't eat too much at once and also they need to not run around after eating. If they are eating whenever they want, how do I know when to limit exercise? #2, if a dog gets sick, not eating is often the first sign of this. If you are free feeding, you often don't notice it until the illness has progressed further. #3, dogs are pack animals and the leader of the pack controls the resources, so feeding times in which I control how much food they get, when they get it, etc, is a peaceful, non-confrontational way for me to enforce my role as leader. If it works for you, then great. But I believe there are far more benefits in scheduled feedings.

• I once was able to save a dog's life when I noticed she left 2 kibbles behind in her food bowl. Because she was incredibly food motivated those 2 kibbles meant she was deathly ill and I was able to get her to the vet in time. No, she had no other symptoms and the vet knew me well enough to believe me when I said "Something is WRONG!"I like to know exactly WHAT each dog is eating. I like to be able to know if the dog is feeling a bit off and WHETHER it is eating. I like to be able to know HOW MUCH each dog is eating. I like to know WHEN the dog is eating. So for me the key is: WHAT, WHETHER, HOW MUCH & WHEN.

• Some dogs can handle free feeding, most of mine did except one and she would eat everything in site.Others are just greedy and want it all when they see it. It is just a matter of what the dog can handle.

• My breed, Afghan hounds, do best with free-feeding, or grazing.They maintain proper weight and condition..My small terrier mix began gaining too much weight at about 7 years old..so she had to be put on a scheduled and measured feeding. The ones who advocate scheduled feedings, likely don't have dogs that limit themselves. As it works better for them, perhaps they assume that it should work for all.A good point for scheduled feedings, is being able to observe signs of ill health, I monitor my dogs all the time, so know as soon as something is 'off'. Dog rearing isn't a one-size-fits-all endeavor. Dogs are as individual as people.Added:I just have to share a story.I finally figured how to have 6 dogs, and feed them differently. I bought a standing feeder, and fed the Afghan hounds from the top, and the Chihuahua and the terrier underneath. One day, I came around the corner to see an Afghan laying down to eat the Chihuahua's food, and him on her back, eating from the big dog feeder! I only wish I had been carrying my camera.

• Dogs don't free feed in their "natural environment". They work, run, play, and will have one large meal during the day.Your dogs seem to be the exception, not the rule. I'm pretty sure my dogs would down an entire bag of food if given the opportunity, as would most dogs, which can make them very, very ill.

• i have to put my share-pei, Rottweiler, and husky mixes on a schedule and i always have but once when my grandmother came she left 2 large bowls with food in it she feed them about 46 pounds of food because she just thought they would stop eating they had serious tummy issues for a long time and threw up like for the first time ever. ever since i have kept only a amount of food out.... but they always have a 5 gal pal of water