What would I need to know about shetland sheepdogs?

We are thinking of getting a Shetland sheepdog puppy. We are not sure whether we should get male or female? Would you have any tips of caring for them? Is there anything special you need to do? Also how old would the dog have to be to start agility…

We are thinking of getting a Shetland sheepdog puppy. We are not sure whether we should get male or female? Would you have any tips of caring for them? Is there anything special you need to do? Also how old would the dog have to be to start agility…...
    General Dog Discussions : What would I need to know about shetland sheepdogs?...

• What would I need to know about shetland sheepdogs?

What would I need to know about shetland sheepdogs? General Dog Discussions
      We are thinking of getting a Shetland sheepdog puppy. We are not sure whether we should get male or female? Would you have any tips of caring for them? Is there anything special you need to do? Also how old would the dog have to be to start agility training? Is it true that blue merles have hearing problems? Thanks! x

What would I need to know about shetland sheepdogs? General Dog Discussions
    • Yes its true Blue Merles can have hearing problems. In fact a problem with the breed is hearing and eye problems. Another thing you need to know is that they shed a lot. and you should start training it when its a puppy, if you want to do agility. also be aware that they love to run. and can chase animals, as thats what they were bred to do is to herd sheep. Hope this helps and good luck.

• 1. Sex is irrelevant. Which ever one you feel more comfortable with, the one you bond better with when you visit the breeder. I would advise you to get your dog fixed though.2. You might find this helpful: http://www.sheltiesavvy.com/ 3. What's good about them, what's bad about them http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/shelties.html 4. Training can began as young as 10-12 weeks. im not talking jumping over hurdles, but obedience. There obedience has to be good before you can start agility. http://www.ehow.com/how_4424283_start-agility-puppy.html They do shed alot, so daily grooming will be needed.5. Blue merle's are seen as a defect in the genetics. Yes, apparently they are more prone to deafness however i had a blue merle border collie called Jess who only became blind and deaf when she was very old. She lived to 17. She was a herder on the farm and was good at it. There is also a blue merle border collie that comes in to the kennels where i work called Missy and she IS deaf, so i would keep in mind, if this is the colour your going for, that she could possibly be deaf making it harder to train. Maybe go for the original sable and white colour or tri coloured to lower that risk. Blue merles are adorable though and i always have a soft spot for them:)

• Oh Boy......this one's for me.....lol. I've owned and trained to high titles, 8 shelties. Two females and the rest males (I like them the best for showing in obedience). Shelties are marvelous family dogs, easy to train, willing to please (which is what makes them outstanding in agility and obedience) The top obedience dog in the country is a sheltie (Hobi) owned by Jo Johnson. BLUE MERLES ARE NOT A DEFECT. This is a color that is specifically bred for in Shetland Sheepdogs.It isn't blue merles that have hearing problems, it's the double blues, in other words, two blue merles bred together can produce deaf and or blind puppies, so we just don't do it. My star dog was a bi-blue, that's a blue without any tan markings, and he was the love of my life. You need to know;1. They shed.......alot2. Many of them bark........too much3. They belong to the Herding classification in AKC so they may chase cats and children.4. Grooming is a necessity, brushing daily, and a bath once a month5. They come in sable (all shades of brown and white); tri (black brown and white); bi-black (black and white like a border collie); blue merle (actually gray, tan, and white); and bi-blue (gray and white with no tan markings). Agility instructors want you have a basic obedience course before joining an agility class.This can start as young as 12 weeks. That means your dog needs to know sit, down, come, stay, stand commands. Agility class itself can start at 6 months, but no jumping until the growth plates are closed, usually around a year to 18 months. Low jumps (about 4 inches) are fine after a year.Shelties sometimes have health problems, so be sure to question your breeder about them as there are ways to breed out the problems. My favorite is the male, mainly because my dogs are all performance dogs and the males seem to focus better than the females. Spaying and neutering is a necessity for a performance dog, as you want his/her entire attention on you, not other dogs or that cute little butterfly flitting around the ring......lol.

• do a www search for ASSA (American Shetland Sheepdog Assoc)Shelties are great dogs. Very, very smart, fun, athletic and often have a bit of a "clown" in them. They take to training easily, as they enjoy learning and working for their person.Male vs female? Not too much difference.Brush thoroughly once a week. Can do a quick brush through every couple of days. They DO have a tendency to bark a lot. There is a tendency in the breed for "shyness" problems. Agility training: find a good trainer near you. But, first things first! Regular, basic obedience training. There are a lot of agility basics too before training equipment. And some equipment you can start training at a younger age than others. Basically, everything very low. This is what you need a knowledgeable, experienced trainer for.Blue merles? They hear and see just fine. It is the "double merles" you want to stay away from.Go to a reputable breeder.