Are there any large breed dogs that do not shed?

Can you give me some ideas of some large dogs that don't shed or shed very little.

Can you give me some ideas of some large dogs that don't shed or shed very little....
    Dog Breed Discussions : Are there any large breed dogs that do not shed?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Are there any large breed dogs that do not shed?

Are there any large breed dogs that do not shed? Dog Breed Discussions
      Can you give me some ideas of some large dogs that don't shed or shed very little.

Are there any large breed dogs that do not shed? Dog Breed Discussions
    • actually ALL dogs shed, just some shed tons while others shed very very little (even humans shed, just go look at your hairbrush!).dogs that shed very little:Affenpinscher, Airedale Terrier, Basenji, Bichon Frise, Bouvier des Flandres, Italian Greyhound, Maltese, Poodle, Shar-pei, Weimaraner to name a few

• If you want a dog with an easy care coat then the large breeds with the short, smooth coats like boxers shed but have short hairs that are reasonably easy to clean. Most of the time, dirt can be cleaned off with a washcloth or stiff brush. The poodle type coats do not shed very frequently but they require grooming and maintenance as they pick up dirt and debris in their hair and the hair can grow to be longer than you prefer.

• Standard PoodlesAfghan HoundsPortugese Water DogsThese breeds shed very, very little - in fact, their shedding is almost nonexistent. They shed their "hair" the way humans shed hair - in fact, their coat texture is more like human hair than it is like dog fur. The coat requires more care as well though, so these dogs need to be groomed regularly, and grooming can be expensive, particularly with larger dogs (the bigger the dog, the longer the grooming session takes, thus the more it costs.)Other breeds, particularly the terrier breeds(Airedale Terrier, Standard Schnauzer, etc) shed very little. Their coats are not hypoallergenic though, so the hair and dander can cause allergy symptoms that can sometimes be avoided with dogs such as the poodle. (NO dog is truly hypoallergenic for everyone though; even poodles have dander and saliva, and some people are more allergic to these than they are to the hair).Terriers are not dogs for people with little dog experience though, because they can be very feisty and stubborn. They also need regular grooming.Any of the shorthaired breeds would shed MORE than the breeds I mentioned above. Its amazing how many people think shorthaired dogs shed less. Actually, shorthaired dogs are either A) constantly shedding their coat as they grow new fur, since their coat stays one length all the time or B) blowing a coat twice a year during "shedding season" - a period of time where they all of a sudden drop so much hair you'd swear you have 10 dogs in your house rather than just one!Someone said English Mastiff. Well, I don't know where they got THEIR mastiff, but I have an English Mastiff and he sheds so darn much I feel like I WADE in the hair! It is a DAILY chore to vacuum up all the hair he leaves in his wake. Often we vacuum twice a day, but we still have hair everywhere. Love the dog, adore his size, but can't stand the hair! (not particularly fond of the drool or doggy smell either!)I also have a standard poodle, and BOY what a difference. Not only does he not shed, he also does not have a doggy odor (well, if he gets dirty he may stink, but a bath once every week or two keeps him smelling wonderful) and he is just so CLEAN all the time. (Unfortunately, he picks up a lot of the mastiff hair, which sticks to him, so he walks around with an extra coating of hair that needs to be taken off with a lint roller regularly! LOL)I'd get another poodle in a heartbeat. Another mastiff......sadly, probably never again. He's just too much work to clean up after. But I sure will miss having him around when he's gone.....

• by large breed, how large do you consider large.theres no such thing as a NONE shedding dog however there are breeds that shed so little they are considered "hypoalergenic" and "none shedding"and anything with "Doodle" after its name is NOT a good choice, not only are they overproced mutts bred only by bad breeders and puppymills, but only 25% of doodle puppies are "hypoalergenic"please also note that the "none shedding" breeds are often wool/wirey or very curly coats and require quite a bit of coat upkeep, or they have long "hair" like coats that require daily extensive brushing or frequent clipping to keep in shape.now assuming your looking for over 50lbsAfghan Hound, low sheddingAiredale terrier, "none" sheddingAmerican Water Spaniel, "none" sheddingBlack Russian Terrier, low sheddingBorzoi, low sheddingBouvier des Flandres, low sheddingBriard, low sheddingcurly coated retreiver, low-none sheddingGerman Wirehaired Pointer, none-sheddingGiant Schnauzer, none sheddingIrish water Spaniel, none sheddingIrish wolfhound, low sheddingKomodor, none sheddingStandard poodle, none sheddingPortugese Water dog, none sheddingPuli, none sheddingScottish Deer Hound, low sheddingSoft Coated Wheaton Terrier, none sheddingSpinone Italiano, low sheddingwirehaired pointing griffon, low shedding

• ALL warm blooded animals shed... that includes all canines. The ones that don't drop their coats as much have coats that require frequent grooming to prevent matting.Add: No dogs are 'hypoallergenic' as the allergen that causes reactions is not the coat but the protein in the dander that all dogs have. It is an individual allergic reaction and not to any specific breed. All dogs have differing proteins in their dander so you can be allergic to one Bichon and not to another... sorry, thems the facts regardless of what gimmicks people try to use to sell their puppies :)

• this website have a list of names of dogs which shed little there are a mix size but there are some big dogshttp://www.dogbreedinfo.com/lightshedders.htmhope this helps xD