How can people be so cruel?

We have just got our second dog. We got him from a family that have had him from a pup for 9 years. They have a 14 month child and their excuse for getting rid of him was that "the child keeps pulling him around". They admitted he'd scratched the kid on…

We have just got our second dog. We got him from a family that have had him from a pup for 9 years. They have a 14 month child and their excuse for getting rid of him was that "the child keeps pulling him around". They admitted he'd scratched the kid on…...
    General Dog Discussions : How can people be so cruel?...

• How can people be so cruel?

How can people be so cruel? General Dog Discussions
      We have just got our second dog. We got him from a family that have had him from a pup for 9 years. They have a 14 month child and their excuse for getting rid of him was that "the child keeps pulling him around". They admitted he'd scratched the kid on the face once, but as my partner and I are the only ones at home we decided to take him before they dumped him at the kennels. He's turned out to be a total sweetheart, and not a nasty bone in his body. He just loves people and although we've been sensible and not overwhelmed him, he's not got a problem with children! How can anyone just get rid of such a loyal family pet?! I just don't think he was cute enough for them anymore. Anyone experienced a similar situation?We actually have him at home now and he's been with us for three weeks. He's 9 years old, so thanks for the warning but he would've shown his nasty side by now if he had one - trust me, I would know, I've had plenty of nasty dogs.ps they had two dogs that have been together all their lives, and just decided to get rid of ours, the second dog that they've kept was really nasty!Thanks for the comments, but Billy has never snapped at or bitten their child, if he had then I would understand it, but he is such a sweet boy and has bonded with both of us

How can people be so cruel? General Dog Discussions
    • Any animal can snap at any time, no matter how "sweet" that animal seems as a pup. Do you really want to take that chance ? It would seem that the decision to keep the pet would take into consideration the welfare of the child, not the animal.

• I had my cat from a cat rescue. Shes absolutely beautiful. Her previous owners dumped her because she was having kittens, but I`m glad they did now because I`ve got her and I adore her.

• Well, I have a cat. I have three. I love my cats, but when my wife and I have are children, if one of the cats jumps in to the crib or something, the cat is leaving.So, I love my pets but I will love my kids more! It is good there is someone like yourself and your partner to take in the dog. It is probably not an issue of the dog being cute enough. Even the most loyal animal doesn't realize we are usually more fragile than them.

• Me personally I think it has something to do with one's life's experiences and maybe even a person's upbringing. For example if a dog has been abused or mistreated by his master he in turn becomes a vicious animal. I think the same analogy applies here.

• how can people allow this war too continue.babies getting killed its terrible immoral and ruthless ask one of the soldiers that come back.when you get them to loosen up and tell the truth you will not believe your ears

• I work for an animal welfare organisation and see this problem on a daily basis. The cruellest case i ever saw was a cross breed tied to a tree in the snow in the middle of winter, she was about 14years old, blind and totally deaf, she obviously hadnt eaten in a few days as her ribs were quite prominent. A friend of mine took her in and fed her up, she had a happy (if not spoiled) life for another 2 years before she died.

• If they had doubts about keeping the dog, then I think they did the right thing. They may have wanted the dog to be in an environment which they could not provide.

• Yep we acquired a 10 mo. old full blooded Sib. Husky from a friend since their child who was then 2 was supposedly allergic .Two months later they got another dog and now want pictures and want to see my now 5 yr. old Sib. Husky? Out of the question!!!

• like they said the kid pulled him around all the time.....maybe the dog got tired of the kid not leaving him alone and tryed (the only way dogs can) to tell the kid to give him some space and it scared them........i at one point was going to get ride of my dog for growling at my daughter......you have to put kids before dogs and cats.......but if you are going to find a new home for a pet that you have had even a short time because of your children, i would never let him/her go to the pound....that is like killing your dog......i say if there is a problem or if your not comfortable then take the time to find your dog a good home..........

• Understand that in their home the dog may have acted differently. Many times if a dog has been in the home for a long time ie. 9 yrs then they will get jealous when a new baby is introduced. My brother had a similar problem. Believe me , my whole family are animal lovers. But he did have to get rid of his dog b/c of the same thing. In your house the dog is in new surroundings with new rules so he/she will act differently. So please don't be to quick to judge this situation.

• We had our dog from the RSPCA 4 years ago a collie cross he was 6 years old. The reason why they got rid of him was because they just had a baby. He is the most docile and lovable dog ever. He is now registered as a PAT dog and goes to children's units and care homes. Since we got him we have had four kittens and he sleeps with them and plays with them.

• this is why there are so many abandoned dogs, animals each year they are so stupid they forget they are going to grow up ,really its the people that need to grow up an think before they get a animal.