How can people be so cruel?

We have just got our second dog. We got him from a family that have had him from a pup for 9 years. They have a 14 month child and their excuse for getting rid of him was that "the child keeps pulling him around". They admitted he'd scratched the kid on…

How can people be so cruel?

We have just got our second dog. We got him from a family that have had him from a pup for 9 years. They have a 14 month child and their excuse for getting rid of him was that "the child keeps pulling him around". They admitted he'd scratched the kid on…...
    General Dog Discussions : How can people be so cruel?...

• I know a aimilar situation. Our bosses wife got a dog and then 6 months down the line when she was still a pup gave her away to a sanctuary where they give them away. we were going mad at the time, however its typical of his wife as she's always into things short term. I don't think they thought about before they got it. Just liked the 'idea'' of it. I like the idea of it but know how much commitment they take up so i would never get one. these people are idiots.

• I can never understand how people can treat an animal that they are meant to care for in such a way. They should have taught the child not to pull the dog around and taught it to be respectful of animals.I had a similar situation and have now had my dog for around a year. She is so happy and settled now and loves her new life.I guess that some people are just not doggy people but I am sure that all of the true doggy people out there will agree that this is no way we would be without them!I guess that the most important thing is that you have him now and can take proper care of him. I am sure that he will be happy with you and will not have to have any more upheaval,Good luck x

• Cindy, this is pets! I guess I'm confused. Now to answer the question, I agree with what everyone else said! Plus, maybe they should teach the kid to not be so darn naughty

• I have seen families, that abuse their pets in the past, I've seen the animal rescue shows on television, and where the dogs or cats come from, it is heart wrenching, to see how cruel some people are. These animals are affectionate, loving pets, that ask nothing from you, they only give there affection. I am a dog lover, I have taken in strays from the street, and cared for them, until the owner was found, or I placed ads for a good loving home for them.

• The difference may have been how he is treated. You have no idea what these people or their 14 mo old did to the dog. He may have been defending himself from the child and the adults. You treat the dog with love and respect so the dog gives you the same back. You should be thankful that the family realized they could not handle the dog - perhaps they were the ones with the issue and not the dog. Enjoy your dog, don't worry about the why they gave him up thing.

• Some pets are better around adults then around children, and if the child did pull him around by the ears its no wonder the dog scratched him. Unless you have seen the dog act around children versus adults I wouldnt throw blame to the owners to quick. I use to have a dog that did not like children at all, because he was mistreated by children by the people who had him before us, I have kids so inturn I was unable to keep him and had to give him to a home with no children.. all pets are different.

• I really don't know how anyone could get rid of a pet that they have had for any amount of time.Yes, we have had experience with people who have dumped off their pets.We have adopted two "surrendered" pets from our local humane society.The first one, Dio, was only four months old when we adopted him.The reason for his surrender? He climbed fences and his previous owners were tired of chasing him around their neighborhood. We have had no problems with him escaping. He is an inside dog with us and when he needs to go outside we put him on a tie out.The second one, Benson, had separation anxiety according to the sheet we got and his previous owners surrendered him because they "just didn't have the time and patience for such a needy dog".Yes, Benson did/does have separation anxiety. With work, excercise and patience, he is making great strides in easing that.They are both great dogs and I'm glad that we adopted them both.Someone else's loss was definitely our gain.

• I've owned several dogs through animal rescue, and while none was from an abusive home, they were neglected, not paid attention to. I know how you feel.BUT, isn't that dog lucky that YOU came along? No point dwelling on the home he came from, just focus on keeping up the good home he has now. He's behaving well because he's being treated well, and he feels safe - that's what dogs do.

• I asked myself the same question, when we got our 2nd cat.We got told that she was only 14 weeks old, so was far to big for that age, in fact she is a year old.We are her 4th owners, and when she came to us, if you went to stroke her, she would shake and cower, then run and hide.She was a nervous wreak. We have since been told she was mistreated very badly.Now a few months on, you could not wish for a more loving cat, she loves us to make a fuss of her, and she is now very loving towards us.So well done on saving this poor dogs miserable life, and making it into a much happier one.

• A lot of people get rid of their old pet because they figure they will die soon and they don't want to have to deal with the deathSome people just grow tired of their pet and want a fun new one. My old adopted cat was dumped by his previous family because they got an exciting new puppy. They did not take very good care of him. His coat was shabby and he was depressed and just slept most of the time at first. He is 14 but I have had him for a while and he is very happy with me now.

• We took on a golden retreiver that was about one year old and was begininng to show signs of aggression (growling, hackles raised, etc.). The previous owner dumped in a back yard, never interacted with him, beat him when he misbehaved and the dog didn't even know his name. I think the guy wanted a cute little puppy and didn't really want the 100 lb dog he grew up to be. The owner was at least kind enough to relinquish him to the humane society. He'd been adopted and returned twice for his problems. With patience, love and lots of training he turned into an awesome dog who was great with the neighborhood kids..Some people are really ignorant and cruel.

• Some people are just scum. They get a dog because the kid wants one...and then like any kid, he gets bored with it, and the dog is just "an old toy" discarded, but still living with you. You feed it, but no love. Sickens me the way are when it comes to pets!! Example: People across the street from me have 3 dogs. All the dogs where ONCE there kids pets. now the kid is 14 and not intrested in the dogs anymore. Sickening.

• People can be cruel at times but I guess they were trying to look out for the child being that the child was pulling and yanking on him. They thought he might snap or (like you said "scratched") their kid. They could have tried working with the kid better as to not do that to the dog.Good luck with him. I am sure his final years will be happy with you guys.

• It was probably a change in these people's family dynamics. When they got a child they could no longer give as much attention to the dog.It's like for me, I got 2 cats, and I started to ignore my other pets(2 degus and 4 hamsters). Not because I didn't still love them but because the cats demanded more. I still feel slightly guilty about keeping them and not giving them enough care. Though as well I do understand that the cats did give them attention and care, but I still didn't like my attention being diverted as much.So these people after the kid might've gone through the same thing.As for the dog, just make sure if he does ever display any negativeness to keep it in check through training, you can train an old dog as easily as a pup, they love to learn too.Best wishes to you and your dog.

• They should try teaching their child respect! I have 2 kids one is ten and the other 8. We have a Rhodesian Ridgeback...a big dog..he is 5yrs old. The youngest was 3yrs when our dog came into our lives.Mitch was taught how to treat the dog as a toddler and to respect him because of the type of dog Floyd is!

• Hi,im the same has you cannot understand how people after all those years can get rid of there pet.My girl is 13 in Octoberwe got her from a rescue center when she was 6 months old she is part of the family infact shes my baby.If she was nasty they would not have kept her for 9 years that was there excuse.At least she is safe with you in a loving home.

• Hi. As a parent and a pet owner of many dogs, cats and one lucky rabbit I can add one aspect to the conversation. The owners have a 14 month old child. That is a very overwhelming stage in a parents life. The child is now mobile, making changes daily and requires more work from the parent. Not to mention, they probably got the dog when they became a couple and it was their "baby" at the time. Now that they have a real life baby, the dog is second fiddle. You said the dog scratched the child. This is not a cat which scratches in self defense. It is a dog. Dogs tend to bite in self defense. So if the child was scratched, it probably had its face down on the dog either playing with it or aggravating the dog and the scratching was most likely a "wrong place, wrong time' incident. Continue to care for your new baby the way you are. You are aware that it has had a minor episode. Just be glad that he's your baby now.

• We had mongrels when i was growing up mother and daughter to be precise and my nan had the other daughter. Bella the daughter was a bit nasty you couldnt let anyone near her while we were out but you know what we loved her to bits and it broke our heart when we had to have her put down but she was in sooo much pain. She was 17 when she passed away. I dont understand how people can have pets for years and then get rid of them unless they moving to somewhere they cant take pets etc.ADDED Also we had Bella when i was 5 years old and she used to growl at me and snap but in her defence i used to follow her around like any child would. She would never have actually bitten me it was jus her way of saying leave me alone. The way my parents overcome this was by telling me off as it was my fault for tormenting her, she was just acting on natural instincts etc.

• being aparent i can't understand it even...i mean if the dog was really nasty and everything i tried failed...then yes dog would have to find a new home. from the sounds of it the kid need corrected in this case. my kids are not allowed to do such things to the dogs. and even at 14 mos a child show know the word NO.... i have seen so many dogs turned to the shelter for many dumb reasons...having a new baby is one of the biggest i think....but as i said before it goes back to the owners and training if the dog has a real problem....it seems to me they were looking for a problem...and the other dog is nasty????and they kept it..yeah that makes tons of sence...

• YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THAT ALL SITUATIONS ARE DIFFERENT, WE TOOK IN A VERY YOUNG(UNDER 2) VERY FRIENDLY BICHON FRISE, WHO GREW UP WITH KIDS AND WAS VERY LOYAL BECAUSE HIS OWNERS LANDLORD THREATENED TO EVICT THEM IF THEY HAD PETS. I HAD 2 KIDS AT THE TIME(HAVE 3 NOW) ONE WAS 6 AND THE OTHER ONE A LITTLE UNDER 2. WHEN THE DOG CAME HOME HE WAS FINE AND BONDED WITH ME RIGHT AWAY, MY 6 YEAR OLD LOVED HIM, MY 2 YEAR OLD DIDN'T REALLY CARE FOR HIM, JUST IGNORED HIM. AS I SAID BEFORE, THE DOG REALLY BONDED WITH ME; FOLLOWED ME EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME, AND ONE DAY WE WERE ALL SITTING IN THE LIVING ROOM WATCHING TV, THE DOG WAS WITH MY DAUGHTER AND HUSBAND AND MY SON ON A DIFFERENT CHAIR- ALL OF THE SUDDEN MY SON CLIMBS ONTO MY LAP, AND THE DOG JUMPED OVER MY HUSBAND AND BIT MY SON IN THE ARM!!!! JUST OUT OF JEALOUSY, MY SON NEVER PULLED ON HIM, DIDN'T EVEN TOUCH HIM AND HE JUST BIT HIM. NEEDLES TO SAY THE DOG WAS REHOMED IMMEDIATELY(A FRIEND TOOK HIM IN WITHIN 2 DAYS) SOME PEOPLE ARE CRUEL AND IRRESPONSIBLE, WHILE OTHERS ARE JUST TOO AFRAID TO KEEP THEIR PETS, I WOULD HAVE NEVER RISKED MY SON BY KEEPING THAT DOG, MY KIDS COME FIRST.