Why does my puppy have diahorrea every day?

I have a 17 week springer spaniel. All vacs,wormed.using frontline looks lovely and healthy. I feed him on a dry mix which he seems to enjoy. Every day he has diahorrea and drags his bum on the ground. Help!!!!! Whats the prob???

I have a 17 week springer spaniel. All vacs,wormed.using frontline looks lovely and healthy. I feed him on a dry mix which he seems to enjoy. Every day he has diahorrea and drags his bum on the ground. Help!!!!! Whats the prob???...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Why does my puppy have diahorrea every day?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why does my puppy have diahorrea every day?

Why does my puppy have diahorrea every day? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have a 17 week springer spaniel. All vacs,wormed.using frontline looks lovely and healthy. I feed him on a dry mix which he seems to enjoy. Every day he has diahorrea and drags his bum on the ground. Help!!!!! Whats the prob???

Why does my puppy have diahorrea every day? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Diarrhea every day isn't normal no matter what.. Dogs do enjoy foods that aren't good for them.. Every so often, even tho I know I shouldn't, I'll eat at a fastfood restaurant.. Wouldn't be able to survive eating there, but sometimes you just have to go ... He is maybe eating junk food every single day.. And enjoying it.. But that doesn't mean that it's good for him...If you had diarrhea every single day, your butt would be irritated too.. Don't treat the diarrhea, it's a symptom of another problem.. Have the problem diagnosed and then treat it properly..Diarrhea causes dehydration, and dehydration kills..

• Sounds like food intolerance if he's all clean otherwise. Try transitioning to another diet (check the first 5 ingredients on his food, and slowly transition him from that to something with a different top 5).And yes, it wouldn't hurt to have a fecal sample for your vet to look at, just to make sure he's clean of giardia, coccidia, and a few others that aren't routinely wormed for (Pups are wormed for roundworms because they ALL have them when they're born. Giardia and coccidia are only occasional nuisances, and will cause chronic diarrhea).

• try worming him again....wait about a week if he still is doing it, take him to the vetthere could be a more serious problem like coccidia....Good luck

• depends what dog food you are feeding him (have you checked the recalled foods?) I would take him to the vet - this is not goodyou could try an Imodium it will not hurt him

• It is most likely his food, but could also be some type of internal parasite--maybe something that the worm-er missed, or even some type of gastrointestinal infection.You should definitely take your dog into the vet. If you can bring in a fresh stool sample that will also help. Your vet will advise you on the cause and how to treat the problem.Hope this helps!

• how long has he had diarrhoea? Is it as long as he's been on the dry mix food?Is he losing weight, lethargic, or vomiting?Lastly-and most important- WHY HAVEN'T you taken him to a vet?

• Have the vet check him for anal sac issues since he is dragging the floor although it could just be that his bottom is irritated from the diarrhea. The diarrhea on the other hand does sound like the food is not agreeing with him. Try a bland diet such as chicken and rice and see if it helps. If nothing changes in the next couple of days I would let the vet check him out.

• He may be on a food that is too rich for his system. Give him half of a Pepto tablet and feed him only white rice,cottage cheese and plain unflavored yogurt for a few days. If that doesn't stop his loose stools then you will need to take a sample in to the vet to check for parasites.

• diarrhea is very serious for a pup. it dehydrates them very fast which kills them.if he has it every day - why havent you taken him to the vet??it could be caused by a million things... perhaps he has a bacterial infection.he needs to be tested and treated immediately - the vet may want to put him on an IV if he is dehydrated because you didnt act fast enough..

• Hi.Ive got 2 springer spaniel pups both aged 5 months.Maybe the food is too rich for him.I always use the dry food soaked in warm water.The bum dragging is known as scooting.He may have worms as they need to be wormed every 2 weeks.good luck with your springer,ive had them all my life,they are really lovely loyal pets.

• right let us know what mix hes on? you say dried food,is the food in puppy form i:e bakers puppy. if you re just giving normal dried food for older dogs it will be too rich for him? make sure whatever brand you re giving him is in puppy form?dragging his bum,right? not to be crude but when hes in the house does his back end smell, i mean like a foul smell? if it does this is more likely his anal glands which the vet will rectify in two Min's? edit your question and ill have a pop back in two Min's to have a look?

• have you taken a stool sample to the vet to check for Coccideosis (spelling?) or other worms?it probably is food related, you didnt say the brand, but a lot of dog food out there is crap.DONT feed canned food, it often gives diahrea...sometimes the foods they enjoy the most are the crappiest. alot of crappy foods are so low in nutrition the dog has to eat more, so it looks like they enjoy the food, but really they are just trying to get nutrition, or the food is one with extra fat content - tricking the owner into thinking its a good food because fat content makes a shiney coat. the fat can cause diahreaif your food is from a grocery store or wal mart - its CRAP!!!