Can I feed my puppy with food allergies adult dog food?

My puppy is a 6 month old Shepherd/Lab mix. He has food allergies. The only foods that he can eat are "sensitive system" foods - which I can only find for adult dogs. Is it safe to feed him adult "sensitive systems" dog food? I was thinking that it…

My puppy is a 6 month old Shepherd/Lab mix. He has food allergies. The only foods that he can eat are "sensitive system" foods - which I can only find for adult dogs. Is it safe to feed him adult "sensitive systems" dog food? I was thinking that it…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Can I feed my puppy with food allergies adult dog food?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Can I feed my puppy with food allergies adult dog food?

Can I feed my puppy with food allergies adult dog food? Dog Breed Discussions
      My puppy is a 6 month old Shepherd/Lab mix. He has food allergies. The only foods that he can eat are "sensitive system" foods - which I can only find for adult dogs. Is it safe to feed him adult "sensitive systems" dog food? I was thinking that it would be better than suffering food allergies to eat puppy food, but I read online that it may make my dog sick to his stomach. I'm conflicted on what to do!

Can I feed my puppy with food allergies adult dog food? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Hi. The best thing to do is ask your vet, & what is your puppy eating now? Feeding your puppy an adult food will not harm your puppy, infact a lot of vets & breeders of large breed pups will tell you not to feed them puppy food! If your changing your pups food, remember to do it slowly by mixing the old with the new for a week or so...If your pup is eating food he is allergic to, then switching to the adult is the best thing you can do! Hope this helps!!

• If the puppy food is making him ill there is no point in keeping him on it. By 6 months he should be fine eating adult dog food, for the first week mix his old food with the new gradually increasing the amount of new food every day until he is only getting the new food. I hope this settles him down. Good luck

• I think you should change to an all-stages food, like Orijen, Acana, ZiwiPeak, WolfBlut or Taste of the Wild, all of which are also allergy friendly. Change slowly from product to product or ask your vet or local pet shop if they have something called Zoolac Propaste or Probiotic Miracle.The main difference between puppy food and adult food is the amount of fat and calcium in it.