Is it possible for a mixed-breed to fit the breed standard of a purebreed?

I've just seen some pictures of Rough Collie X Pomeranian puppies and they look very much like Cardigan Welsh Corgis. I would have put money on it until someone told me they were mutts lol.Is it in any way possible for a mutt to fit a breed standard? I…

I've just seen some pictures of Rough Collie X Pomeranian puppies and they look very much like Cardigan Welsh Corgis. I would have put money on it until someone told me they were mutts lol.Is it in any way possible for a mutt to fit a breed standard? I…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Is it possible for a mixed-breed to fit the breed standard of a purebreed?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is it possible for a mixed-breed to fit the breed standard of a purebreed?

Is it possible for a mixed-breed to fit the breed standard of a purebreed? Dog Breed Discussions
      I've just seen some pictures of Rough Collie X Pomeranian puppies and they look very much like Cardigan Welsh Corgis. I would have put money on it until someone told me they were mutts lol.Is it in any way possible for a mutt to fit a breed standard? I know it would be as unlikely as hell...

Is it possible for a mixed-breed to fit the breed standard of a purebreed? Dog Breed Discussions
    • It's possible for it to look like a certain breed, but it can't fit ANY breed standard because it's not a breed.Add: I just wanted to mention that there are thousands of purebred dogs that don't meet their standard. When I think of the *standard*, I'm not just talking about that a dog looks like a purebred dog. I'm talking about topline, angles, eye shape and color, tail set, etc., etc. That's what I was talking about. What most lay people see, is NOT what a judge sees AND feels. And lets not forget about bite, number of teeth, gait, and QUITE a few other things.

• There are many mutts that look like purebreds, especially when puppies. They, however, wouldn't meet the breed standards when seen by a trained judge's eye. They see a lot of small details about specific breeds that you and I take for granted.

• Mutts can look like specific breeds yes.But will they fit a breed standard? Absolutely not.I mean especially in the case of your example - both the breeds it was mixed with didn't even include a Corgi - so it wouldn't make much sense to have it fit the Corgi breed standard just because it looks like one.

• I wouldn't rule the possibility out all together...but for every breed there are many who know their specific breed of choice like the back of their hand & would recognize the slightest of faults...but may also just pass it off as badly bred or not up to standard.I have seen some mutts, especially those combined of only 2 different breeds look eerily like one of the purebred parents...but rarely is it to the extent of not being able to recognize something is a bit off.Really?..4 TD for stating my opinion/experience....LOL! :P

• Yup. I have two aussie/golden retriever mix pups, and one ALMOST looks like a purebred golden and the other looks 100% purebred aussie. I've had many people ask where I got my "miniature" australian shepherd.

• Sure - I know of a Samoyed/Siberian Husky litter that had a couple of "Sams" in it (one with one blue eye) and a couple of woolly "Sibes" and one that looked like a Sibe.Edit: The "Sams" (except the one with the blue eye) and the one "Sibe" looking puppy fit the standards enough to easily be show-able and probably champion-able.

• Someone is playing games. Its NOT possible in any sense of genetics for a combination of a Collie/Pom to look like a Corgi!. And I find it hard to believe in the Collie/Pom cross too.If any purebred resemblance would occur it would have to be either a Collie or a Pom.

• If a breeder crossed a working line Dobermann to a proven NVBK Belgian Malinois to re-create a dog capable of doing the type of work the breed was created to do, they would then to have regain consistency in type by breeding by culling/refining dogs & breeding tightly to the Dobermann breed standard. An injection of fresh genetic material wouldn't go amiss, & if after successive litters the Dobermann had the appearance & moved of the breed, & had the heart, mind & strong working abilities, it would be a better fit to the breed standard than the majority of Dobes bred today!

• absolutely, it is possible for a mixed breed to look like a purebred dog.fit the standards enough to be one? not likely, but then again, if you have an infinite number of monkeys playing on an infinite number of pianos, one of them is going to write Beethoven's 5th symphony, right?In a litter of junkyard dogs a bunch of years back there was one that could have easily passed for a CAO- there wasn't any in them of course (and at that time, no one in the USA really knew what CAO's were) but looking back at pictures, he looked just like one.

• It's too difficult to tell in a puppy really, but using your breeds as an example, if you were to breed the offspring of the original pair back to say a pom, for many generations, eventually they will look completely like poms, but will forever be mutts. I assume in first generation breedings of extremely similar breeds it would be possible for some of the offspring to fit the standard of one or the other, though I doubt a different breed entirely

• I have had GSD's forever and I used to consider that I was capable of judging their conformity. At a training class a few years ago, I admired what looked like a wonderful specimen of a GSD. The people who owned this dog were obviously BYB's, they had a Rottie which they had mated with a GSD. They then showed me what looked like a wonderful specimen of a Rottie which was from the same litter.What looked like a wonderful specimen of a GSD was actually a mutt/mongrel and she was more attractive than my pure bred GSD which was purchased from a reputable breeder Everything about this Mutt fitted the breed standards and so did their Rottie mutt/mongrel.Although I object to BYB's and the so called experts who breed dog for cash, what the Hell dogs are dogs and I love them regardless.

• it is possible for mix breed to look like pure breed but not exactly. you can tell if the dog is mix breed if you know your dogs. mix breed dogs are not all bad if breed correctly. the only difference between pure breed and mix breed is that their breeding are controlled, made for their agility, work or any other needs of people, and are publicly known. pure breed have been mixed with different types of dog before it even became a pure breed. that's why there are "mutts" that look like pure breed dogs. for example, pit bulls have been breed from labs, rottweilers, staff and many other dogs before it finally became a pure breed know the Pit Bulls. same goes for the corgis, labs, german shepherds, boxers, pugs and so forth.mix breed dogs can meet some standards (if by strength, agility, itellegence and etc) my dog was breed for our needs. she has great agility of the shepherd, the power of a pit, the speed o, able to with stand any weather just like the rigs back, and etc. she is a mix breed and an excellence work of breeding. pure breed to mix breed, get what ever meet your needs or likes.

• It depends on how the standard is interpreted. I've seen many lab x goldens fit the standard for both breeds. Many field bred springers are mistakenly called britanies in shelters.

• Yes, lots of dishonest people breed cavalier King Charles Spaniels with Cocker Spaniels, then pass them off as pure bred Cavies and charge a ton of money for the puppies.