How to train my puppy?

He is almost 1year old, and he's a pitbull and jack russle mix. He is so hyper, the only time that he's calm is when he's just woken up or when I pay very little attention to him. He stays in his crate for the majority of the day, because he's too hyper…

How to train my puppy?

He is almost 1year old, and he's a pitbull and jack russle mix. He is so hyper, the only time that he's calm is when he's just woken up or when I pay very little attention to him. He stays in his crate for the majority of the day, because he's too hyper…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How to train my puppy?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to train my puppy?

How to train my puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
      He is almost 1year old, and he's a pitbull and jack russle mix. He is so hyper, the only time that he's calm is when he's just woken up or when I pay very little attention to him. He stays in his crate for the majority of the day, because he's too hyper to be around the house as he would chew up and destroy everything. He likes being in his crate.. Sometimes. I've tryed very hard to make his crate feel like a happy place, but when I need him there (so that I can leave the house without him wrecking the place) and try to put him in there; he growls and jumps and bites me. I take him for a walk everyday for a long time. It is very hard to put his lead on because he gets so excited and he starts jumping and running everywhere, and he rolls over on his back and trys to bite me when I touch his collar. I try to ignore him and tell him to sit, but he still won't remain calm. The thing that often works is feeding him while putting the lead on. When out on the 'walk'.. he runs. Although after a while he'll start walking. I hate going to the park and letting him off the lead, because if he sees other dogs; he will RUN to them and bites and growls at anyone who try's to shoo him away. Many other dog owners get terrified, and their dogs never like him because he is too hyper, It's so embarrassing. I usually just walk around my area which is probably better. When we get home from an hour, or sometimes even two hour walk; he is still excited. He still jumps and runs. I really don't know what to do, I want him to be good enough to sleep in the same room as me, or just be there when I'm working or watching tv without destroying everything. How can I achieve this? It feels like I'm trapping him in his crate, but what other choice do I have? And also why does he attack me when I touch his collar, and how do I stop it? All help is appreciated, and please, no rude/mean commentsHe has very many toys which seem to only get him more excited..

How to train my puppy?

How to train my puppy? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I had a similar problem with my lab puppy! My advice is to watch lots of Ceasar Milan how to videos. Also, try and show your dog that you are the "Alpha Female"! Your dog will know that you are the no-nonsense boss. Use a strong, confident voice with him, and NEVER repeat commands more than 3 times, because your dog is comprehending too much at a time. As for training, get out a box of treats, and practice the command over and over. If you have a clicker, once he does it, click and he'll know that he gets a treat when it clicks!Just remember, you're the ALPHA FEMALE! Don't give up!

• You need to take him to dog obediance classes to learn how to handle him. Also the work you do every day with them will give him something to think about and help tire him out. He really needs to be trained, especially as he is growling at people who try to protect their dogs from him - thats really not acceptable.

• Have you had your dog a while? If you have, have you let this behaviour continue for some time? If you haven't had him long, it seems that his previous owners have let this behaviour continue. Either way, it is going to become very difficult to change his behaviour as he now thinks he can 'get away with this'.Pups need A LOT of time spent on them. I have a 10 week old Border Collie pup and she is never alone at the moment and always has either myself or my mother with her correcting her behaviour constantly. They need to know who the boss is and what they are able to do and not do. If they are behaving badly eg. jumping up on the couch etc., then you need to firmly say, "No!" and "Down" and then affirm that behaviour by either moving them yourself or, if they do what you want on their own, rewarding them. There is no easy way to do this. It simply takes a lot of time and a lot of perseverance.I think caging your dog is also a huge issue here. Imagine how hyper you would be if you were locked in a small cage all day and knew that you only had a small gap of time where you could be free and run around. His bad behaviour will be made worse by caging. If you are unable to have someone at home with him until you get his behaviour under control then you should either gate off an area eg. a bedroom or a kitchen, so that he has that whole room to himself while you are out. Yes, there will be destruction until he learns but you can minimise that by moving as much as possible out of his reach. The other option is to give him up to a home that is able to put the time out on him. Dogs are social animals and if they are alone for a large portion of the day, then behaviour problems are very common and hard to rectify, especially with more active breeds.You should never let him off the lead if his behaviour is aggressive towards other dogs and people. My last dog was the most docile dog you could imagine and had excellent recall (shouting her name, she returned to you) and would walk to heel off the lead if you asked her to and I still didn't let her off the lead in a park unless the park was empty of both other animals and people. You can never be 100% certain of what a dog will do and if your dog has behaviour problems such as yours then the chances of another dog or, heaven forbid, a small child becoming injured are very high. This could lead to your dog being put to sleep and no one wants that.Also, is your dog neutered? Dogs tend to calm down a little after neutering but I think the main problem with your dog seems to be a lack of consistent training and boredom. I know it is tempting to get the dog 'out of the way' while you work or relax while they are at a stage of bad behaviour but that isn't solving anything. Unfortunately, hours of work and training and constant rewards and firmness are what is needed if you want to have a calm, finished product. If there is obedience classes near you to teach you the rudiments of training, they would be useful but I'd call first and explain your situation as he might not be readily welcomed if he is violent towards other dogs and people.