What do i need to know about a puppy being wormed, vaccinated and rabies? Please help!?

I'm recieving a toy poodle when its 6 weeks old. I've never had a puppy before. It has already been wormed by its owner but when i recieve it what is the first thing i need to do. Get it wormed again or vaccinated? Please help . Thanks :)Sorry, 7 weeks…

What do i need to know about a puppy being wormed, vaccinated and rabies? Please help!?

I'm recieving a toy poodle when its 6 weeks old. I've never had a puppy before. It has already been wormed by its owner but when i recieve it what is the first thing i need to do. Get it wormed again or vaccinated? Please help . Thanks :)Sorry, 7 weeks…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What do i need to know about a puppy being wormed, vaccinated and rabies? Please help!?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What do i need to know about a puppy being wormed, vaccinated and rabies? Please help!?

What do i need to know about a puppy being wormed, vaccinated and rabies? Please help!? Dog Breed Discussions
      I'm recieving a toy poodle when its 6 weeks old. I've never had a puppy before. It has already been wormed by its owner but when i recieve it what is the first thing i need to do. Get it wormed again or vaccinated? Please help . Thanks :)Sorry, 7 weeks old. Miss counted the date.

What do i need to know about a puppy being wormed, vaccinated and rabies? Please help!? Dog Breed Discussions
    • It should have been wormed every two weeks, but check his worming schedule when you pick him up - the vet will probably ask. First post of call when you get him is take him to the vet for a health check, they will advise when the vaccs need doing and how often you need to worm him.

• Bring the pup to a reputable vet and they will tell you what needs to be done.Depending on what they dewormed the pup with the vet may recommend worming again.They will give you the first set of vaccinations than you will have to bring the pup back in about 2 weeks for another set.Hope this helped at all.

• First of all, tell them you won't accept a puppy that has been removed from her mother at 6 weeks - that is MUCH too young! Puppies' brains grow by leaps and bounds at that age, and they are much calmer and more secure when they are allowed to be with their mothers and nurse about once a day until they are about 7.5 weeks - and many poodle breeders I know keep them until they are 9 weeks. Anyone who is kicking them out at 6 weeks old is puppymilling. Period. A good breeder will have all the information you need in a folder when you pick up your puppy, and will be available to answer any and all questions after you go home. For the life of the dog. If this person is just milling out puppies and going on to the next thing, you don't want to be involved - trust me. The puppy will mostlikely be nervous and timid, and not have had the most important time they need to gain confidence in the world. This just makes me so angry - for the sake of an extra week, they are making a big difference in the life of a dog. You should question it, and drive a hard bargain, or none at all. Note - this is from long term experience, not just opinion - and good practices among breeders of poodles. Puppies can indeed do all right at 6 weeks, but in accepting a dog from someone who does that, we are accepting a bad practice, and not the best for our puppy. Poodles are very intelligent, and critical brain growth goes into the 6-7th week, and a bit after that as well. It makes a big diffeerence in the character of the dog if it is done right - and in supporting bad practices, we a recondoning them. Not a good thing. Good luck...

• Make an appointment to see the vet withing a few days after getting the pup. They will inform you of when to get everything done and they should have tons of info for you on raising a puppy.Socialization is very important! I'll leave you some links to take a look at as well.Add: the comment about taking a pup at 6 weeks is incorrect. A pup can be taken away at 6-8 weeks live a happy healthy life. Some breeders choose to keep the puppy longer an din this time they do basic training but it is not necessary.

• go to the vets and get all its jabs done. these jabs protect your dog from anything it could possibly catch. get it chipped aswell, its not expensive, about £35 for everything and you could ask about the worming while you are there.

• 1) don't get this puppy at 6 weeks old...in most states it is against the law and no responsible breeder would ever let a puppy go to a new home at less then 8 weeks2) make an appointment with the vet for your puppy to be seen within 48 -72 hours of getting her..they wil ladvise you as to what you will need.3) responsible breeders wil lget a vet exam and vaccinations done as well as another deworming at 8 weeks old before they send a puppy to a new homeThere are a couple of red flags here..you may want to reconsider the breeder you are getting this puppy from.

• Call your vet in the morning.6 weeks is very young to be bringing it home.They will advise you on your best way forward.You will only need a rabies vaccine if you are intending getting a pet passport.