Who names the puppies show name, the breeder or the owner?

I am about to buy a kc registered puppy from a reputable breeder of Rottweilers. The puppy will come from a long line of champion show dogs. I am keen to show this dog purely for fun and as a hobby. I was wondering, who gives the dog its show name,…

I am about to buy a kc registered puppy from a reputable breeder of Rottweilers. The puppy will come from a long line of champion show dogs. I am keen to show this dog purely for fun and as a hobby. I was wondering, who gives the dog its show name,…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Who names the puppies show name, the breeder or the owner?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Who names the puppies show name, the breeder or the owner?

Who names the puppies show name, the breeder or the owner? Dog Breed Discussions
      I am about to buy a kc registered puppy from a reputable breeder of Rottweilers. The puppy will come from a long line of champion show dogs. I am keen to show this dog purely for fun and as a hobby. I was wondering, who gives the dog its show name, myself or the breeder? I do know that the kennels/breeders name is usually included in the name!

Who names the puppies show name, the breeder or the owner? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Depends upon the breeder.Some pick the entire show name. Others only insist that the beginning be the kennel name but let you choose the rest. Still others let the new owner choose the entire name.Most reputable breeders do the first or second.It really depends upon the breeder. Many now have a litter "theme" and all of the names in a litter kind of go together. For example they are all named after boy bands, or drinks, etc.

• breeder usually but they talk to the future owner sometimes and work with it .my cousin is getting a beezer and the breeder is doing a themed litter which has the kennel name then the theme and then name.examplelets say the kennel is. Jemmtheme: EpicJemm's Epic Dead Ringer

• When I got my dog he was already registered. Pridelines Polar Prospect. Pridelines was the kennel name. Polar Prospect we found out later was a racehorse, and when we received the KC catalogue that year we found all his kennel brothers and sisters like him were named after racehorses too. We had no choice in his name, as he was registered with the KC when we collected him. However we called him Jake, and he gave us nearly thirteen years of laughter and happiness and now fond memories.I wish you the best with your new pup.

• Personally I wouldn't call it a show name, but rather just a registered name. With the exception of my first two litters, I always had a theme and my kennel name HAD to be on the registration papers because I wrote it in before the new owners left my home. You can NOT tamper with what's written on the papers by using White Out or anything else. Anyway, I would write a list of about 30 or so registered names down that went along with my theme, and then asked the buyer if they liked any of them. They could choose any of the names I picked, or come up with their own name as long as it went along with the theme and was approved by me before the papers were sent in. Every breeder is different in what their requirements are. Call your breeder and ask them. If you get to choose whatever you want, this will keep you busy for a bit when you put your thinking cap on.

• Like Jennifer said. The breeder asked for input, but had a kennel name and a theme.One lady I knew who had been breeding for decades went through the alphabet. Naming the dogs got really hard at the X and Y litters.Some registered names keep coming up. "Best Kept Secret" , and "Proof Positive" are two that I've seen over and over.In one odd example I know, dogs from a single litter could have had one of three separate kennel names. One from each of the co-breeders, and one for the puppy that went to the brood b*tch owner. So Forest's Delphinium gave birth to Forest's Mighty Oak, Rhomboid's Weeping Willow, and Trapezoid's Quaking Aspen, Rhomboid and Trapezoid being the kennel names of each of the co-breeders.

• The breeder will apply to the Kennel Cub for the pups name and will get back a registration document along with its new name and registered number. That document will be given to you with a copy of the pups pedigree. The name usually consists of the Breeders Affix plus its registered name. For instance we had a dog years ago which was called 'Hot Gossip' with the Affix in front of that. Once the pup has been named by the breeder it cant be changed except to add the owners affix (if they have one) on at the end. The breeders name is not usually included in a Kennel Name - you may be thinking of their Affix.