What traits to look for while selecting male doberman and rottweiler puppies?

while selecting a male doberman or a rottweiler puppy from a litter of pups, what all qualities should i look for?

while selecting a male doberman or a rottweiler puppy from a litter of pups, what all qualities should i look for?...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What traits to look for while selecting male doberman and rottweiler puppies?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What traits to look for while selecting male doberman and rottweiler puppies?

What traits to look for while selecting male doberman and rottweiler puppies? Dog Breed Discussions
      while selecting a male doberman or a rottweiler puppy from a litter of pups, what all qualities should i look for?

What traits to look for while selecting male doberman and rottweiler puppies? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Unfortunately there isn't a lot you can tell about the dog's traits at such a young age.But you do want to make sure that you are buying from a reputable breeder.Here's a good way to figure that out: http://www.ckc.ca/en/Default.aspx?tabid=113Here is some information on Dobermans too: http://www.dpca.org/PublicEd/PEC/PECLIVING.html

• first of all pick one out that is mostly black, cause the colors will change. then look for temperaments. get one that is not aggressive. ask about parents ask about health hip problems are major in rottis. dobes are pron to brain swelling when it gets hot. a dobe will bond to the person who feeds it. a rotti should not run full force before the 1st birthday cause of the hip problems. look for the biggest pup out of the litter. make sure all shots up to date and heres a must make sure the pups have had parvo shots!!!!!!!!!!

• when i bought my rottweiler i wanted to see the mother to see how she respond to all of us being there. She was the most gently dog i ever met! Choosing my puppy i took my keys and shook them i watch how well the puppies respond to them i ended up with two to pick from the one i picked had more noticeable tan markings then the other. also look up the breeder you want a good temp. dog and a healthy one. Research! Good Luck

• First of what do you need the dog for? What kind of a dog trainer are you? How much dog can you handle? How much dog will you want to handle? Be honest with yourself. Once you have a clear idea of what you want in a puppy, ask around, visit shows and trials, note the dogs you like and the dogs who get the results you like, see which lines and kennels they come from.Then when you've identified 2-3 good kennels, you talk at length to the reputable breeders, see if they have any litters planned and get signed up on their waiting list. Meet their dogs, talk to them about how they keep the puppies (early socialization is important) and make sure that both sire and dam come from health tested disease free lines. Make sure to meet at least the dam to evaluate her temperament either before she has the puppies or once the puppies are +5 weeks old. Ideally she'll have done a mental test, which you can then analyze and compare to the breed ideal.Make sure the breeder knows what kind of puppy you are interested in, how much training experience you have, what your plans are for the dog. The breeder will help you pick a puppy, ideally based on temperament test performed by a neutral, licensed 3rd party when the puppies are 7 weeks old. Be prepared to answer a lot of questions if you go to a reputable breeder.Don't pick a puppy based on one visit or the whole "don't take the puppy that goes to you first, don't take the puppy that hangs back" - at least not unless they show the same behavioural pattern during several visits. You can easily have caught a puppy at a bad time, if it just woke up from a nap or is tired, that dominant puppy you might be trying to avoid or that you want to get, might not rush to you first as it "should", but instead hang back.

• Briallen has given good advice but you also need to make sure that the parents dogs have had all the gentic health checks done like hip score. These are so very important as if they haven't been done you could be in for a lot of heartache and vets bills . The breeder should have vet records off these.

• If you are purchasing a Dobermann from one of the good Dobermann kennels that breed tightly to the standard, then depending on what can be gauged of the individual pup's temperament, potential & the purpose of owners in purchasing a Dobermann, the each pup will be matched to the best home.It may be that there will be more than one male Dobermann in the litter that would be suitable to the home you have, in which case the breeder would allow you to select your preferred pup.What you should want to see is documentation that the sire & dam were health tested & had good results for:DNA test for one the gene mutations responsible for causing DCM [heart failure - which is the silent killer in the breed]ThyroidVon Wellibrands [haemophilia]Hip Dysplasia [joints]Also ask what the breeder does to prove that their dogs are good representatives of the breed [work, sport, show - not just from *good lines* which is trading on the achievements of another kennel.Finally judge the character of the dam. It is a characteristic of the breed to be aloof with strangers, but not shy or snappy [not unusual for the sire not to be available]An example of a good breeder.http://www.chancepixiesdobermann.com/puppies.htm