Have your dog ever attacked a kitten you tried bringing into your home?

I have a 7 month old Jack russell cross and I want to get a kitten while shes still young. I will supervise them and never leave them alone together until they are both older but I don't know if im worrying over something stupid as I have never known…

I have a 7 month old Jack russell cross and I want to get a kitten while shes still young. I will supervise them and never leave them alone together until they are both older but I don't know if im worrying over something stupid as I have never known…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Have your dog ever attacked a kitten you tried bringing into your home?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Have your dog ever attacked a kitten you tried bringing into your home?

Have your dog ever attacked a kitten you tried bringing into your home? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have a 7 month old Jack russell cross and I want to get a kitten while shes still young. I will supervise them and never leave them alone together until they are both older but I don't know if im worrying over something stupid as I have never known anyone that brought a kitten into a home and it got attacked by the dog. If anything all I hear is good stories.

Have your dog ever attacked a kitten you tried bringing into your home? Dog Breed Discussions
    • Yes, the dog probably thinks that your home is his ground. My dog charged at our cat at first and I picked the cat up. They now are fine with eachother and sleep together. The dog might just have to get use to the kitten.

• I have pretty limited experience with this, but dogs I have had did not attack cats, even if the cats were new to the house. In some cases, they barked at the cats, growled at them, and tried to chase them, but they didn't bite or physically attack the cats.I haven't had dogs recently (just cats), so it hasn't been an issue for a while.

• It depends on the dog. How does your dog react to cats? If your dog reacts to cats it might not be a good idea.In my case when I brought home a new dog, the cat attacked it. 12 lb cat, 5 lb yorkie.

• HIYES, THAT NORMAL HE OR SHE NEEDS TO GET USED TO IT IT WILL TAKE TIME JUST GET THEM TOGETHER AND TELL HIM THEY NEED TO BE FRIEND BELIVE ME THEY UNDERSTAND I HOPE THIS HELP YOU ..THANKS LORI

• My dog at first tried to attack my kitten when we first got it cause she thought it was "prey" cause she's the type of dog that would be gone in a second to chase something. After that my dog tried to attack her every time the kitten came by her because she is older and has been by her self up until now and she didn't like the cat after she realized the cat is here to stay. Now they don't really care about each other.Basically what I'm trying to say is start out slow, if you want I can tell you how to introduce them.

• Jack Russells are terriers...Terriers chase small animals. If not trained properly, it could be bloody. My dogs are all fine with cats because from 8 weeks old they are around them.

• actually the opposite happened to me when i brought my puppy home my cat attacked the puppy and so the pup slept in my room and my cat waited outside my door waiting to get the pup. for the first few months my dog was terrified of my cat, but now my dog is 6yrs old and just tries to annoy the cat by chasing her and cornering her and just stares at her. she actually wants to play but my cat is 13yrs old now and she's just too old. but my pup and my other cat get along very well they walk around the house together and the cat rubs on my pup, it's really cute.the thing you'll have to watch for is if you pup tries to play with the kitten, the pup might be a little rough with it. my sister has a jack and a cat and the pup loves to give the cat kisses on the face and the cat doesn't mind at all.

• Well, the dog (80 pound Black Lab) tried. We discovered a half frozen, diesel soaked cat up in the engine compartment of my school bus. I washed the cat, thawed it out and dropped it on the floor in front of our other cat and the dog. The resident cat sniffed the newby a few times, gave it a slap and walked away. The dog came charging across the floor and the little cat didn't flinch; it merely raised up onto it's hind legs and latched onto the dogs face with it's front claws and it's teeth. The dog hasn't bothered with him much since then. I should note that when this dog was rescued he was being actively hunted for killing and eating people's domestic cats.

• I like your plan and your concern. I love hearing about dogs and cats growing up together! It really helps in shaping good character for both.You should know that terriers of pretty much any kind were bred to burrow and collect small ground animals (Terra=earth), so there may be some instinctive chasing even after everyones been adjusted to each other.We have 10 dogs (a couple are terrier mixes) and 7 cats (a couple we got as kittens). What I've noticed is that the cat should always be allowed to get away. If the cat is able to run away and hide when it wants to, like under a cabinet for example, then that lets the cat feel comfortable. If the dog is taught to "Leave It" on command with positive reinforcement, then that will also let the cat feel comfortable as well as the dog because he's getting a treat for it. If they are not easy around each other, then that's where you'll run into trouble.Introduce them slowly. Do not force them to be in each others presence for too long, or someone will likely get scared or frustrated. Of course, if they immediately take to each other (which is very rare), then by all means encourage positive behavior, but don't try to force it to happen.I would also recommend not giving your dog any toy that makes noise, like a squeaker or any other sound. Those toys ultimately tell dogs its OK to go after things that make noises, like small animals like cats and birds.Also, keep their food and water in separate rooms, for hygeines sake and to avoid any misunderstandings.Basically, always allow the cat to approach the dog, not the opposite - at least until everyone is neutered and you feel confident enough to leave them alone together... Do not permit chasing at all, even if you are sure it is play. Its too easy for harmless play-chasing to go sour.

• that is a bad idea ... jack russells and cats do not mix ... and even if you can get that jack to tolerate the cat, that is no guarantee that jack will not kill the cat later in life ... i moved in with a partner who had two cats and my jack russells face was bloodied for months and there were times we feared for the cats too ... and they can live together for years and then one day the cat takes off the the jack is after it, and the cat is dead ... "Jack Russells are commonly known to harass, injure or kill other small pets, such as cats, birds, rabbits, mice, rats, etc., simply due to their strong natural hunting instinct. Raising a puppy with a cat does not guarantee the cat's life-long safety!It is important that you understand that Jack Russells are instinctual hunters, that this is a built in response to a chase or roughhousing activity. A dog doesn't usually hate cats, but when play gets too rough the dog can and sometimes does respond too roughly with the cat getting injured or worse."my jack is 12 years old and while trained enough to stay away from cats, i would never in a million years leave her alone with one ...