How long can I keep a dog on its own at home for?

I am thinking of getting a dog. However both my wife and I will be out between 9-5.Is it ok to leave a dog on its own for this time?Are their particular breeds which would be more comfortable on their own?Does the sex make a difference?Appreciate that a…

I am thinking of getting a dog. However both my wife and I will be out between 9-5.Is it ok to leave a dog on its own for this time?Are their particular breeds which would be more comfortable on their own?Does the sex make a difference?Appreciate that a…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How long can I keep a dog on its own at home for?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How long can I keep a dog on its own at home for?

How long can I keep a dog on its own at home for? Dog Breed Discussions
      I am thinking of getting a dog. However both my wife and I will be out between 9-5.Is it ok to leave a dog on its own for this time?Are their particular breeds which would be more comfortable on their own?Does the sex make a difference?Appreciate that a puppy is not an option.

How long can I keep a dog on its own at home for? Dog Breed Discussions
    • A puppy would be very scared home alone so I would say an older dog.I have a terrier and he is just fine home alone.Maybe for the first few days ask a neighbour to just pop in and have a check on them and I would suggest dog instead of bitch.

• You should get a labrador they are very smart. I have one and is inside my house all the time only goes out to do the restroom or when he just wants to play outside. He never does the restroom inside. The dog will be fine, just leave him a big bowl of food and water

• Yes it is possible to leave a well trained dog alone for that long and yes the breed will matter. My family's dog (Bernese Mountain Dog) can be left alone that long once in a while but she's really social so I would never do it on a consistent basis. I imagine other breeds wouldn't mind being alone frequently but I don't know what they are.

• You can but it's quite selfish to get a dog when both of you will be out for so long. If either of you could come home to check on it at lunch time it'd be better as although it's a dog so it's matured, it's still coming in to a new environment where it will take a good couple of weeks to get used to.

• well i got two shih tzu dogs, and i do leave them sometimes for 4-6 hours as long as you will leave water to drink and food and bedding,toys and your dog is house trained it should be fineBut i always suggest when you leave a dog put him in the small room or in the big enough crate, take him for a morning walk or outside before you leave the house. i always prefer shih tzu because they aren't really active dogs , do not cost a lot of trouble and they are intelligent small dogs which do not grow big and do not need big space or go for long walks. well some dog sexes can have some differences , from my experience the female dogs are more active but quiet and male dogs are more nosier (sometimes) and hard to train them as they are very hardy dogs, but its possible to train them.The general rule for how long the dog can be in the house alone is months. depending how old is the dog is the rule of thumb 1 month old = 1 hour , 2 months old = 2 hours and so on...for e.g. my dogs are only almost 5 months old they can stay in the house 5 hours alone. but i do sometimes leave them six hours because my family is working, i am in college.

• My boyfriend has a puppy and he's out almost 12 hours per day because of work and she's fine as long as she has enough food, water and toys in the house.An older dog will be okay with you being gone. Just be sure to exercise the dog in the morning so that he won't have so much energy to burn off which could lead to destructive behavior. You may need to set up doggy gates around the house if you want to contain him to only certain areas.As far as the sex goes, I don't think it matters as long as the dog is spayed/neutered.

• Consider the breed you are selecting, many have strong pack instincts and are prone to separation anxiety e.g. Beagle. Such breeds would be a bad selection for you. Dogs are creatures of habit though, and can learn to be quite independent, given time and the right encouragement. However if this is something new to them it can be very confusing and can lead to behavioural issues. It is strongly advised not to use punishment, in response to negative behaviours, arising from separation anxiety. Try to select a breed resilient to separation anxiety, and be prepared to be patient and positive whilst they re-adjust to their new environment. Forming too close a bond can also lead to separation anxiety issues, so you must have self-discipline in this regard also.

• An adult dog can be crated for 9 hour stretches, however there are other options like getting a dog-walker to come in sometime in the middle of the day and give your dog a short walk and the opportunity to go pee.Note that keeping a dog crated is NOT cruel like some people think. Actually it is fairly natural for dogs. In the wild feral dogs and wolves will dig dens to stay in. The crate becomes the dog's den. It is common for dogs living in the wild to stay in a den out of sight all day long and only come out at dusk.

• Our miniature dachshund can be left alone from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm my daughter comes in to let him out at 12:00 and then he's fine he just sleeps mostly. I suggest a mini dachshund they're adorable funny and easy going!

• I see that you are considering an ADULT dog, correct? If so, in a situation like yours that is a great choice. And YES, he or she will be FINE alone for that amount of time, and the sex will make no difference. There are two important caveats to keep in mind however:1) Crate training in this situation is a MUST, even if you know the dog's backround....and especially if you do not. It is NOT cruel, and if done correctly, will actually give your dog a sense of comfort and calmness while you are gone for the day. Eventually, he/she will be fine loose in your house, but not until he/she EARNS the privilege.....unless you LIKE chewed furniture and cleaning up messes.2) You HAVE to spend time with your dog when you ARE home. Dogs are very social and require time with their owners as much as they do food and water. This means that even on days when the weather is lousy and you are dead tired from a long work day, when you get home at 5 you WILL HAVE to not only take your dog out quick to do their "business", but you will need to take a walk.....play ball....and generally interact with him. That can include cuddle time, but MUST include physical interaction as well. So, no more getting home from work and changing clothes and heading right back out the door for a night on the town. No more long weekend getaways (unless your dog comes with you of course :). A dog is NOT part of the furnishings or a "toy" which can be put on a shelf when not in use. They can be owned by busy people, but must be looked at as a part of that busy life.....not an inconvenience to it.