I have a 1yrs old Jack Russell and will be getting a new 8 week old puppy in a few weeks.?

Am I ok to keep the dogs together? I am concerned that my 1year old may pass on illness to the un vaccinated puppy. Any advise welcomed. Thanks.Pamela - I am just concerned that my 1 year old will pick something up while we are out walking and pass it on.

I have a 1yrs old Jack Russell and will be getting a new 8 week old puppy in a few weeks.?

Am I ok to keep the dogs together? I am concerned that my 1year old may pass on illness to the un vaccinated puppy. Any advise welcomed. Thanks.Pamela - I am just concerned that my 1 year old will pick something up while we are out walking and pass it on....
    Dog Breed Discussions : I have a 1yrs old Jack Russell and will be getting a new 8 week old puppy in a few weeks.?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I have a 1yrs old Jack Russell and will be getting a new 8 week old puppy in a few weeks.?

I have a 1yrs old Jack Russell and will be getting a new 8 week old puppy in a few weeks.? Dog Breed Discussions
      Am I ok to keep the dogs together? I am concerned that my 1year old may pass on illness to the un vaccinated puppy. Any advise welcomed. Thanks.Pamela - I am just concerned that my 1 year old will pick something up while we are out walking and pass it on.

I have a 1yrs old Jack Russell and will be getting a new 8 week old puppy in a few weeks.? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I suggest that until your puppy gets his vaccinations that you keep the Jack Russell on your own property and that it is up to date on it's own jabs.Parvo Virus is contracted through contact with infected animals or contaminated soil or faeces.Whether your adult dog is up to date or not, it can still carry infections on it's paws or in it's mouth if it has been exposed on it's daily walks etc.

• Health-wise, make sure that neither of the dogs is carrying any contagious prior to the move. Additionally and importantly, learn how to introduce your new dog or puppy to your current dog. A dog who has had the house and family to himself may not welcome another dog in his "den," and may resent having to share his family's attention.Here's an article that can help you with this issue. good luck!http://oobahme.notlong.com/

• When I have puppies around, I restrict where I take my adult dogs on exercise until the puppy(ies) are fully vaccinated. Even if your adult is healthy, and vaccinated, he could still walk infection into your home. However, you can't keep your new puppy completely away from your older dog, just take precautions, like keeping your older one away from heavily populated dog areas. As for allowing them together immediately - take it slowly. Don't leave them alone without being there to begin with. Arrange to have a separate area, for each of them (recommend a crate for your puppy) so your older dog can get away from the attentions of the puppy, and take a nap in peace. Adults won't harm puppies normally, but if he feels he has to defend himself (because you are not), he may get pushed too far, and react. The bonding won't happen overnight, but if you make sure you are in charge, and your older dog knows you are defending him, it should work out fine.

• Well technically, parvo is an airborne illness, so it is possible for a dog with parvo to poop in the street, you run over the poop with the tires of your car and bring parvo to your driveway on the tires of your car. So I guess the answer to your question would be yes, your older dog could pass an illness on to your puppy. I walk my dogs in the backyard, we just walk laps while we are practicing leashes with a puppy. I would put a leash on your Jack Russell and walk it in the yard and try to get the puppy to follow you at this stage. Sometimes I drape a leash on the puppy or drag it while the puppy tries to pounce on it at this stage. I don't clip a leash on a puppy until they are 3-months-old and they get better with leashes around 4 to 5-months-old. Remember it is 5 minutes for each month of age for puppies on the walk. so a 2-month-old puppy gets a 10 minute walk. Too much walking is bad for legs and joints in puppies.

• Hi there,I'd avoid keeping the dogs together until the puppy has had all its intial vaccinations. Some diseases, such as parvovirus and leptospirosis, can be carried by previously vaccinated dogs. In other words, your 1 year old may be carrying bacteria even though it is not showing symptoms of disease. When it comes into contact with the puppy, however, the bacteria may be transferred and lead to serious illness. So making sure your older dog is up to date on vaccinations, as some people have suggested here, is not sufficient to ensure the puppy won't be infected.Keep your older dog at home until the new puppy is fully vaccinated to avoid the introduction of new bacteria or viruses. I'd also keep them as separate as possible until pup has had his/her full vaccination schedule. When you do introduce them, do it slowly and under close supervision, as the older dog may not be too happy to share space with a new pup. Socialize them slowly and provide treats for the 1 year old to create a good association with meeting the new pup. Keep the new pup protected on that first meeting to help develop the bond between you.