Is buying a puppy off the amish a good idea?

I bought a 9 week boxer off the amish thinking there two pets just had pups not as a business, till i get into there village and see several homes w/boxer pups. They seemd taken care of ok but now that she's home i think she looks skinny. She has…

I bought a 9 week boxer off the amish thinking there two pets just had pups not as a business, till i get into there village and see several homes w/boxer pups. They seemd taken care of ok but now that she's home i think she looks skinny. She has…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Is buying a puppy off the amish a good idea?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is buying a puppy off the amish a good idea?

Is buying a puppy off the amish a good idea? Dog Breed Discussions
      I bought a 9 week boxer off the amish thinking there two pets just had pups not as a business, till i get into there village and see several homes w/boxer pups. They seemd taken care of ok but now that she's home i think she looks skinny. She has reg.bowel movements and i looked for worms everything looks fine, I am just wondering if he gave her her shots and dewormer or not...whats the scoop on buying off the amish?

Is buying a puppy off the amish a good idea? Dog Breed Discussions
    • They are normal people, not aliens or green martians. It's the same as buying from anyone else. In fact they are very nice people. I buy bread from them and pies. We also hired a team of Amish teens to help build the church. I'm sure they were good to the dog. They probably didn't get vet care for the dog, rather fed it scraps and used OTC products for worming, but if the dog is fine then don't whine about it. Be glad you got a nice dog at a reasonable price.I can promise you that this dog was very well socialized. I know how they dote on their pets. He had lots of interaction with lots of kids and people.-----------------------------------------I don't agree at all that they are mean to pets. I had my shih tzus with me everyday while we were working on the church with the Amish. They are very indulgent to pets. At lunch they would pick them up and haul them into the fellowship hall to feed them table scraps. I thought my pastor's wife was going to croak when they were carrying the dogs around the church. They would wad up little pieces of paper to toss and play fetch with the dogs. The ones I have had close contact with are not mean. That is simply not true.

• i talked to someone who said they do it as a business and they are not nice and keep them as pets they dont think of dogs as pets its an other puppy mill if you ask me how playfull ?is the puppy did it seem to be played with ?or will it run away and not want to sit with you and snggle didnt they tell you if it had shots? They dont have many ways to make money and this seems to be a way for them big market

• Lancaster county is the puppy mill capital of the east coast!!!The amish treat their animals-companion and farm horribly!!I have a rescue japanese chin from an amish puppy mill and it has taken him a year not to be afraid when you walk into the room. He was in horrible condition when rescued.Your dog is safe with you now but buying from the amish only supports their ability to continue to breed for profit and not for quality. Have you pup checked out thoroughly by you vet and concider feeding a great food which will greatly improve his health for life. I feed my four dogs this brand Life's Abundance and they are very healthy. Check my source.Look up the amish and pets on the web and you will see that they are not the place to buy in the future.Thank god your pup is safe with you now.

• Well,I have heard the stories of the puppy mills and the amish,but,there are puppy mills everywhere without our knowledge.Not every amish family will be running a mill,but I would have asked alot of questions before they saw my money.And if she's just thin,you can fix that...you should take a stool sample in to your own vet to be checked,and she probably has only had a first set of shots as is the case with most pups.You are responsible for the rest of her shots.Rabies shots cannot be given at home..have to be administered by a vet.Please take your pup with any records to a vet for a check.And do not condemn peolpejust on heresay...I'm sure there are ALOT of good Amish people out there selling dogs too!

• I live on the line of Lancaster and Delaware counties. Many of the Amish do run puppy mills. You need to be very careful when buying a pup. It seems to me you didn't ask too many questions. Cant you reach the breeder and ask now? If it was just a sale without a contract and you and they made no agreement of contacting each other then, I would say YES, it was a business and puppy mill.

• I dont know about the amish where you are at but the amish from fleming co. kentucky are awesome people. We have all farm land here and they help everyone. A family i know really well lost their house due to fire and had no insurance. With the donations they received they had enough to put a new one under roof the amish came and had the whole house under roof in 2 days about 20 amish and like 2 community people. They also give them one of those huge storage buildings and all kinds of homemade food and money. The amish here are really good people.

• I would bet they haven't given the dog its shots, ( did you ask when you got her?) They don't believe in them for themselves, I can bet the dog doesn't have them either..getting other things from the Amish is great, they have nice things..

• They have mastered the puppymill business. They are the ORIGINAL puppymillers!! They go to auctions and buy from other puppymillers HORRIBLE HORRIBLE!!! This and furniture is how they make money!!!I luv I can't believe you didn't know this. This how the idea of making pets for profit began.

• It's a little known thing that some of the Amish are heavy into the puppy mill market. That's not to say yours was, but it is possible. Those that are see dogs as property and a way to make a profit from breeding them. I have heard that the Amish don't "just keep pets". Either the dog works on the farm (i.e. border collies herding for them, cats keeping mice out of the barns) or they are simply there to breed for profit. Here's a link to a video from a dog auction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEt1rkq0Gw4 It's not all Amish, but there are some shown with a hand in it.The seller should have told you the things that were done with the puppy already. If they didn't, you need to either go see them again and ask about it, or go to the vet and start over.

• I have 2 uncles that haul the Amish people all around the United States. They are very nice and polite people and will help pretty much anyone in need, especially their own. I have met some of them and do agree. BUT...........NEVER purchase a puppy from them. Both uncles have said up in Pennsylvania there are many puppy mills in the Amish community. I do not know if they are vaccinated or any of those details. I do trust my uncles as they are with them pretty much 24/7. As for the auctions as someone mentioned I have also heard this too.Now if you want horses and leather goods it is a great place to go.

• I live in a community where I am surrounded by Amish and I wouldn't recommend buying puppy from them. They tend to inbreed and the puppies have health problems due to puppymilling. (at least here they do)ADD:They are nice people as far as being polite goes, but buying quilts and edibles is a lot different than buying pets.

• the amish are the number one contributors to the puppy selling industry...90% of puppymills are run by amish farmers...the problem with the amish is to them EVERYTHING has a job, dogs are nothing but working animals, just liek their cow or horse, any dog that is not put to work in the feild is put to work otherwise...making puppies to make money for the family...now this might not be EVERY amish person, however the chances are if youd have taken a good look around the property in the back and in the barns youd have found yourself a puppymill...this is not that they are bad people as such...its just the way these folks were raised and belive, dogs make puppies to make them money, when they cant make puppies anymore they are sold on or they are "culled"

• The Amish are kind of a paradox in that they are the #1 rescuers of retired racehorses that would otherwise be destroyed, yet at the same time, they are the #1 source of puppy mills in Lancaster County PA. When the Gov. of PA started his mission to crack down on puppy mills, the outcry from the Amish was enormous. They usually shun political meetings, yet thousands turned up to protest the Gov's plan to regulate or shut down their facilities.http://www.almosthomerescue.org/news/news.htmhttp://www.pixiedustpapillons.com/amish_puppy_mills.htmlWell, the damage has been done- you have a pup. Now, it is your responsibility to provide absolute TOP-NOTCH nutrition and vet care to make sure you're giving her the best chance at a healthy life. Get her spayed at 6 months- a dog from this background is certainly not something to breed.Love her for what she is- lesson learned. Spread the word with us, Okay?