Is buying a puppy off the amish a good idea?

I bought a 9 week boxer off the amish thinking there two pets just had pups not as a business, till i get into there village and see several homes w/boxer pups. They seemd taken care of ok but now that she's home i think she looks skinny. She has…

Is buying a puppy off the amish a good idea?

I bought a 9 week boxer off the amish thinking there two pets just had pups not as a business, till i get into there village and see several homes w/boxer pups. They seemd taken care of ok but now that she's home i think she looks skinny. She has…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Is buying a puppy off the amish a good idea?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The amish run several puppymills , their dogs/puppies are raised in substandard conditions. Their animals are abused in the worst way. Some of the horses I seen them sell at auction , were horrific. Maggets in open wounds, underweight, & full of parasites. All of these horses , were slaughter bound after years of service to the amish. You should of asked about vaccinations before buying from anyone. As far as amish doing vaccinations & worming, most don't. If they don't get their children vaccinated, why would they vaccinate animals ? I'd never buy any animal from the amish, I've only bought baked goods from them.

• I grew up with he Amish. Everything an amish owns has to make money. Doesn't matter weather it is a dog or not it earns it keep. This is why I don't sale to the Amish nor do I buy from them. Other than that you couldn't ask for better people. Like us Yankee's.. as we are called by them... there are some bad breeders and good breeders. I don't agree with what they do but that is their way. We have to do our part and not sale to them or buy from them. This might stop them from doing what they are doing. In their eyes they are not doing anything wrong. Even tho I think they are.

• I have to say that part of your question has already been answered; the Amish are well know for their puppy mills and cruelty to the breeding dogs......At this point you need to have your puppy wormed and vaccinated, asking the "breeder" is totally out of the question, he'll tell you what you want to hear not what has been done. Get a full puppy exam including a fecal. The fact that the pup seems skinny does not mean he's underweight, just growing. Let your vet evaluate that. Good luck with your baby.

• you always ask when you get a dog shots etc? i would think so but you should ask it would be fine to do this if the dog has fleas you have worms and that isnt' to likey but you never know. they are nice people like everyone else. take care.

• NO NO NO They are the worse people for puppy mills. The dog will probably be inbred and sickly. Go to a local boxer rescue group and get one from them. Rescue groups vet their dogs and you are more then likely to get a good healthy dog.