How can I stop my puppy biting/nipping?

My 8 week old Springer cross Cocker spaniel puppy keeps biting/nipping. It's not really hard but I want to stop it before it gets really bad! She is a loving little thing otherwise but just does it when she's a bit over excited, especially when my…

My 8 week old Springer cross Cocker spaniel puppy keeps biting/nipping. It's not really hard but I want to stop it before it gets really bad! She is a loving little thing otherwise but just does it when she's a bit over excited, especially when my…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : How can I stop my puppy biting/nipping?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How can I stop my puppy biting/nipping?

How can I stop my puppy biting/nipping? Dog Breed Discussions
      My 8 week old Springer cross Cocker spaniel puppy keeps biting/nipping. It's not really hard but I want to stop it before it gets really bad! She is a loving little thing otherwise but just does it when she's a bit over excited, especially when my daughter is playing with her. She doesn't show aggression while doing it (growling etc). When she does it, I give her a chew toy to concentrate on, but I want to stop her doing it altogether!Thanks!

How can I stop my puppy biting/nipping? Dog Breed Discussions
    • hopefully she will grow out of it . My border collie used to do it all the time and it freaked me out because the bigger he got the harder he would nip ... he would never do it to hurt me but just when he wanted to play or got excited. but he is 1 now and he doesnt do it any more just make sure you tell her no everytime she does it and she will get the hang of it.

• You cant stop her as its part of being a puppy and growing up.What you can do is use your voice and say NO and hold your finger to her and say NO firmly.She will soon understand and hopefully calm down.

• First off, don't let your daughter overstimulate her during play. An overstimulated puppy has no idea how to make a good decision about putting it's mouth on a person. Look at it this way. You get the puppy all pumped up and excited, then correct her for it? Not fair.There is plenty of good info on the Internet to teach you how to handle this basic puppy stuff:http://siriuspup.com/behavior_problems.htmlIn addition, it sounds like you need to get this pup into a class, so you can learn from your trainer how to handle these things.

• All puppies crave attention and ignoring them is one of the worst punishments for them, much worse than shouting at them (any attention good or bad is attention), as hard and as harsh as it may seem it will work. When she nips at you don't even say 'no' just stand up or just walk away from her so she cannot follow you. When you eventually come back, she may get exited to see you and everything will start again so to stop this tell her sit and reward her (when i say sit i mean any sort f good behavior you can reward her for, sit is a good one), this way you can channel her excitement into good behavior and you must make sure she is nice and calm before you walk away and carry on with what you are doing, this also helps prevent jumping up and helps puppies learn how to control their excitement so that they don't end up hurting anyone by accident when they get bigger.Chewy sticks are great as all puppies need to chew, however no puppy should chew their owners. Puppies love paying with children and vise versa, so the best thing to do is this (i have tried it before and it really works) :1. When your daughter comes home from school or something and wants to play with the puppy, the puppy is going to be very excited to see her and may nip, before your daughter and the pup meet (this bit may sound weird), rub in a load of butter on your and your daughters hands, make sure it is rubbed in so there is nothing for her to bite but enough for her to notice and smell it.2. go into the room where the pup will be very excited, crouch down to her level and hold out your hands (this would be the bit where she would start to nip) but she will notice you have butter on your hands instead of nipping she will sniff them and lick them instead (she may also calm right down when she realises there is something different and concentrate on finding it out). 3. After she has licked them praise her not over the top (silly, excitable voices that will hype her up) just a gentle praise and a treat for to let her know she's done good for not biting. You could also try a bit of training here to, also try and get your child to do some training with her, this way the pup will see her as higher up in dominance and will be less likely to nip as she won't see her as on the same heigheracy that she can practice her dominance on. Some people don't like being licked but that is a sign of submission and lets face it would you rather be licked or bitten?In just three simple steps it can be solved! I have used this many times and it works a treat. All pups will need to chew and even adults do, that does not mean their owners are their pin cushions however. Its all about channeling the dogs excitement and enthusiasm into the right kinds of behavior.I hope you find this method useful and you give it a try, good luck :)

• This is normal for puppies but they do need to learn that it is not allowed. They don't just grow out of it they need to be trainned. Everyone in the house needs to work together even your daughter. When she does it you need to let out a sharp yelp and then ignore her till she calms down. If she keeps nipping or biting when you ignore her remove yourself from her till she does calm down. Everyone needs to do this everytime she does it or you will just give her mixed messages and get her confused. This behaviour in a puppy isn't that serious but if not sorted you will end up eith a dog that does it not so good.