dog owners i have a questions about getting a puppy from a shelter?

I am currently doing some research about getting a dog and yes i know its my hundred questions regarding dogs and puppies. Its just that my question is does the shelter get my dog or puppy neutered or do i have to go to the vets and get it done. Also is…

I am currently doing some research about getting a dog and yes i know its my hundred questions regarding dogs and puppies. Its just that my question is does the shelter get my dog or puppy neutered or do i have to go to the vets and get it done. Also is…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : dog owners i have a questions about getting a puppy from a shelter?...

• dog owners i have a questions about getting a puppy from a shelter?

dog owners i have a questions about getting a puppy from a shelter? Dog Breed Discussions
      I am currently doing some research about getting a dog and yes i know its my hundred questions regarding dogs and puppies. Its just that my question is does the shelter get my dog or puppy neutered or do i have to go to the vets and get it done. Also is it best to get a boy dog or a girl dog? Some people have advised me on getting a girl dog but i would like to get a boy dog.

dog owners i have a questions about getting a puppy from a shelter? Dog Breed Discussions
    • The shelter takes care of neutering/spaying and some shots. Either male or female is fine. What difference does it really make?Go to the shelter and pick the dog without looking at whether it is male or female. Thank you for adopting!

• well some dogs at the shelter are already neutered but yet if you get a puppy then probably not cause they are too young so some shelters might do it but some shelter might not.and i got a boy dog from a shelter 8 years ago and he is still as healthy as can be and is the sweetest dog EVER!!!and glad to hear you are adopting from a shelter !!giving the animals a second chance at life!!

• If you are in the UK and buying a really young puppy, the rescue centre will probably give you a voucher to have your dog neutered at a named vets. (You will pay a contribution towards the operation) Thankfully, in the UK, most vets won't neuter before the dog is 6 months old. If it's an adult, beware of any rescue organisation that doesn't neuter before rehoming.Up to you whether you get a dog or a b1tch, in general b1tches tend to be slightly easier to train.

• It depends on the dog's age. If the dog is not yet old enough to be fixed, or hasn't been fixed often a shelter will have you put down a deposit, that is only refundable upon you providing the shelter with proof that you got the dog fixed. Some shelters will spay/neuter any dogs that are old enough; some don't have the funds.Male or female depends on your preference and the breed. Some people don't like males because they will lift their legs to mark on shrubs and things. But often males will squat to pee if they are neutered at the right age, although my male seems to have learned to lift his leg from visiting the dog park :) (he still squats to relieve himself - he just marks once in a while in strange places) Sometimes female dogs can actually be more protective, and therefore bark more, than males, because of the protective mothering instinct. Your best bet is to do lots of research and find the dog that is a good fit for you - whether it is male or female is really less important in the end.

• Depends on the shelter, but almost all of them do. The rest of them usually have a spay/neuter contract.Check out www.petfinder.com and search in your area. On the individual ad it will usually say if they will be neutered prior to adoption.Best wishes and thank you for saving a life!

• I suggest you go along to the shelter and have a long chat with them.They are experienced at putting dog and owner together.On YA you will get lots of good advice,but trust the folks at the shelter,please.

• Whether or not the shelter will spay/neuter the dog will depend on the age of the animal and their policy. You'll have to ask them. I don't think gender matters. Bless you for rescuing a shelter dog. We just got one ourselves 2 months ago and are really happy. He's a great dog!

• A lot of shelters will neuter the puppy , depending on the age , or they will give vouchers towards the cost , when the pup is old enough .I have had both male and female dogs and all have been great pets .It is nice to see someone actually wanting to get advice and research about getting a dog before they get an animal , than waiting until after they get one.

• We do not neuter really young as some do, but we pay the vet direct a certain amount of money towards the spaying when it is done. Must be under one year. If you are Ireland then they have massive problems there with so many dogs for rehoming. To the point that van loads come across to the UK every week.We have two 7 month old rottie girls coming in from Ireland this week. One should be heading my way for fostering. If you are wanting a breed that require a bit of thought and experience (like a rottie) then best go through a breed rescue where they deal specifically with that kind of dog.

• Usually all animal shelters hire a professional veterinarian to spay/neuter the animals. They also get them up-to-date on their shots, and if there are any health problems ( A broken leg, a hurt paw, etc. etc.) The vets will fix that as well.Female dogs tend to be more aggresive and aloof, while Male dogs are calmer around other dogs and people.Good Luck in getting your new dog!!

• Depends where you live and where you go, some shelters do and some don't. Most will do though. It's an extremely important health factor. Either or, I was going to get a male, but I guess it was fate I saw a b itch.There are only minor differences between both sexes, but it's more you and your dogs relationship.

• Get a male dog. My mother always said if you had a house full of girls, get a boy dog, if you had a house full of boys get a girl dog. Get a dog that is the opposite sex as you are. Get what you want, don't let people bully you. It depends on the shelter, some have the dog/puppy already spay/neutered, and some give you a voucher to get it done later. It is really best to spay a puppy at 6-months-old, but they can do it as early as 2-months-old. I would think it would be better to get a puppy as young as possible so you have as much time for training as possible. It would help if you told us the breed/breeds you are interested in so we can answer you better. I vote for a boy dog.

• In Uk animal rescue centres will neutered adult dog but not puppies as vet won't neuter them till thye are at least 6 months old so then you have you to pay to have it done and you have to have it done as part of the adoption contact. As for male of female that is a personnal thing. It cost more to have a bitch spayed than i male castrated thought.

• It depends on the shelter really. I got mine about seven years ago now & he was (& in fact still is) a full male. Most RSPCA/SPCA shelters or their local equivalents will routinely neuter male dogs but others will not.As for which is better, Dogs, both male & female can be as well (or as badly) behaved as each-other. I've had male dogs all my life & they have been no bother but female dogs can be just as good. It's all down to owner preferences.

• The shelter usually takes care of the neutering/spaying, they may also give the dog shots. What ever one you want. Gender shouldn't matter when getting a dog. What you can do is look up on google the pros and cons of getting a female and the pros and cons of getting a male. If you want a male then get a male, it's your dog.

• A rescued dog to me is a blessing before you get a puppy or older dog just be sure you're ready OK Ask yourself what size you want small med or large & do you have the time to give the dog plenty of exercise & house proofing if it's a puppy I adopted a puppy years ago & she was a joy to my family Also my friend adopted an older dog who is her constant companion Good luck

• We always prefer 'Females' because they're 'cleaner', and more relaxed than males. And, when you adopt from a shelter, the neutering or spading is done and the fee is included in the cost you pay to get the dog. Shelters would never give you an animal that is Not spaded or neutered.What an awesome thing to do! I'll be thinking about you on this one, because I just love dogs with passion, and mine are most wonderful with all of us...