What is the difference between a lab and a golden retriever?

I have a couple questions, first what is the main difference between a lab and a golden? I heard they are both similar, but are there personality's different? Hair? Are they both family dogs?Also, are standard poodles good dogs to have? I've heard there…

I have a couple questions, first what is the main difference between a lab and a golden? I heard they are both similar, but are there personality's different? Hair? Are they both family dogs?Also, are standard poodles good dogs to have? I've heard there…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What is the difference between a lab and a golden retriever?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is the difference between a lab and a golden retriever?

What is the difference between a lab and a golden retriever? Dog Breed Discussions
      I have a couple questions, first what is the main difference between a lab and a golden? I heard they are both similar, but are there personality's different? Hair? Are they both family dogs?Also, are standard poodles good dogs to have? I've heard there smart but what else?Thanks SO much for the info!!:)

What is the difference between a lab and a golden retriever? Dog Breed Discussions
    • ok!! First off The lab and the golden!! They are completely different breeds!! Yes they can look similar ones short hair ones long hair and they have similar temperaments, but thats like saying is a poodle and dalmation the same b/c they're both dogs.here are links to goldens, labs, and poodles (standard size i'm guessing is what you're looking for??)These links will tell you everything from average colors, temperaments, sizes, weights, ect.. Hope this helps!!

• As retrievers, both Labs and Goldens have pretty similar personalities. Labs can come in many colors from gold/blonde to brown to black. They have short hair. Golden retrievers have longer hair and are typically all a golden color, although shades can very from blonde to red-ish. My boyfriend has a Golden and she is a very sweet family dog.

• They're completely different breeds, like an Otterhound and an Afghan Hound.Golden Retrievers are large dogs with rather long, golden colored coats that range from blonde to red.Labrador Retrievers are shorter, stockier dogs with relatively short coats (although they're double-coated, not shorthaired), and come in yellow, chocolate, and black.There are surprisingly many people who use the incorrect term "golden lab" to describe a yellow lab, and this is partly why there seems to be some confusion. Golden Retrievers and Yellow Labrador Retrievers look nothing alike, and can't be mistaken for each other.All dogs are perfectly trainable and every properly raised dog will be a good family pet. Far too many people believe that Labs and Goldens are inherently friendly, and don't do the necessary training and socialization all dogs require. Then they end up with unruly, even aggressive, dogs. In many communities, Labs lead the dog bite statistics, proving that any poorly-reared dog can bite. A dog's breed will never prevent it from learning aggressive behaviors. In Canada, Golden Retrievers are in the #3 spot for bites serious enough to require treatment in hospital, behind #1 German Shepherds, tied for #2 Cocker Spaniels and Rottweilers. Again, it is proper rearing that makes a dog a good family pet.Hope that helps! :)

• Golden has longer hair. Lab has short hair. Lab's can come in three different colors - yellow, brown and black. The golden comes in one color...a reddish brownLabs have web-type paws for swimming. Most labs I've met are not as shy as goldens....great personalities, very loving, labs probably more likely to be protective.Poodles are intelligent, good temperament and most like that they don't shed.

• Standard Poodles are good dogs depending on what you want them for, how many people live with you, ect.Labs sometimes are chocolate and black aswell as yellow, so theres that.Golden Retrievers have more longer hair, and sometimes have darker coats then the typical yellow lab, depending of coarse if the golden is dark colored.Labs also are genarly bigger then Golden Retreivers.