What's your favorite way to give a dog a pill? He's good about me trying, but...?

Evan's getting his "lyme-disease prevention" doses of antibiotics at the moment. He's a big dog, with a long muzzle, and my hands aren't big enough to use my spouse's favorite method (Hold pill between two middle fingers, stick them as far in as…

What's your favorite way to give a dog a pill? He's good about me trying, but...?

Evan's getting his "lyme-disease prevention" doses of antibiotics at the moment. He's a big dog, with a long muzzle, and my hands aren't big enough to use my spouse's favorite method (Hold pill between two middle fingers, stick them as far in as…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : What's your favorite way to give a dog a pill? He's good about me trying, but...?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What's your favorite way to give a dog a pill? He's good about me trying, but...?

What's your favorite way to give a dog a pill? He's good about me trying, but...? Dog Breed Discussions
      Evan's getting his "lyme-disease prevention" doses of antibiotics at the moment. He's a big dog, with a long muzzle, and my hands aren't big enough to use my spouse's favorite method (Hold pill between two middle fingers, stick them as far in as possible, release) and have it always work. I coat them with peanut butter. Any other popular methods?

What's your favorite way to give a dog a pill? He's good about me trying, but...? Dog Breed Discussions
    • at petsmart there are these things called pill pockets and they work wonderfully. My dog wouldnt even touch a pill even in peanut butter but with these things he cant wait for his anti seizure meds.

• Put it in a little piece of hot dog, a ball of canned food, a piece of cheese, cheez whiz, wrap it in a slice of bread, butter, or a treat called a pill pocket. Thank you for taking good care of your dog!

• I use cheese...Usually I take a half slice of american cheese, and I take 1/3 of that and make a little cheese ball...then I give the other pieces first so they get a taste...by the time they get to that piece with the pill in it they swallow it right down.i like the hot dog idea too

• since my dog seems to swallow everything good whole sometimes, I put his pills in a hot dog (he had a swollen salivary gland) and it was easier for him to take them and he didn't know the pills where in there because he......swallowed the entire hot dog in one gulp. lol! You can also try cheese or a bit of chicken to put it in.

• If you can grind the pill up and mix it up with something tasty that you know he will eat (my dog gets a teaspoon full of ketchup) that rarely fails. Some pills NEED to be given whole though, so make sure you check.If I have to give a tablet whole, I'll usually wrap it in some bread or a small piece of hotdog and, while he's working on that one, I'll hold up another one for him. He's too busy eating the first one quickly to get the second that he doesn't realise what he's eating.

• I’ve had half a dozen dogs over the years, and I have always find that sticking the pill in a big glob of peanut butter works beautifully. I don’t mean just coating the pill, but sticking it in a large amount of peanut butter so that the pill is barely tasted.All of my dogs have enjoyed peanut butter, and some have been downright rapturous about it. I wish I had a picture of my last German Shepherd mix, with the smile she invariably got on her face when offered peanut butter. It was one of her favorite foods in the world. Alas, I miss her!

• check at http://www.greenies.comthey just merged in a product line called "Pill Pockets"these are also available at good pet supply stores. they're a pre-formed meat & other stuff treat that you conceal the pill in, and then give it to the dog, who (in our case, anyway) slurps it right down. we actually find ourselves breaking the LARGE size pill pockets in half to give pills that are the size of the average pill humans take. they are very easy to use, and the only time we have had an administration failure is when our old-timer simply wasn't taking food or treats. (then we fell back on the jam-it-down-the-throat method)we give our sheltie 2 anti seizure meds and the old-timer gets rimadyl (the dog equivalent to advil, for his hip dysplasia) twice a day

• It is soft enough to conform to the pill without the dog knowing it is there. We have used it for years for medicating dogs when necessary. I have not yet met a dog who will not eat ANYTHING when wrapped inside a slice of Velveeta cheese! I tried some of the other cheese spreads, but the consistency wasn't the same, and precut cheese slices broke apart too easily. But Velveeta is perfect for this need.

• We used to stick our weinerdogs pills in hotdogs...he loved it...we also did it with cheese and sometimes snuck them in his canned doggyfood...if he knew he was getting it hed put up a fight but since he was a fat pig hed eat it after a coupld of wimpers and grumbles!

• He had hypoparathyroidism so he needed massive quantities of Vitamin D. He needed it every day from the time he was 5 until he died at 15 so he and I obviously needed to work out our routine. Luckily the pills were small so I could give them to him once a day in 3 handfuls.He was an Afghan Hound so his head came to my hips. I would stand along his right side so he was against my left thigh. Then I'd put my left hand over the top of his muzzle and put my pointer just in the space between his left canine tooth (fang) and the next molar back in his jaw. I'd pull up slightly on his head with my left hand and his jaw would automatically drop. The pills would already be cupped in my right hand, which I'd just put into his mouth as far as I could and let them roll down his throat. I'd wet the pills under the faucet first so they'd be slippery. While still holding his snout up a little I'd stroke his throat so he'd swallow. Then I'd give him lots of praise and treats so he'd associate pill time with yummy food, not struggle. In fact, we used to call it "treat time," and he'd actually come to get his pills and treats.Before adopting this technique I tried all the peanut butter/cat foot/grind the pills/hide them in his food tricks, but he was always able to pick out the pills and leave them behind.In an interesting twist, when he was 14, after doing this for 9 years, they finally came out with a liquid version of his meds. One squirt with an eye dropper and that was it.