What is the difference between english pointers and german short haired pointers?

We're looking at pointer puppies and we found out there's different kinds. I've been looking for the difference, but keep getting different answers.

What is the difference between english pointers and german short haired pointers?

We're looking at pointer puppies and we found out there's different kinds. I've been looking for the difference, but keep getting different answers....
    Dog Breed Discussions : What is the difference between english pointers and german short haired pointers?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is the difference between english pointers and german short haired pointers?

What is the difference between english pointers and german short haired pointers? Dog Breed Discussions
      We're looking at pointer puppies and we found out there's different kinds. I've been looking for the difference, but keep getting different answers.

What is the difference between english pointers and german short haired pointers? Dog Breed Discussions
    • They are tWo different breeds. They differ in temperament body shape and energy level. I realize I'm being vey general but I don't know the standard for english pointers. I suggest going to the Akc page fOr both breeds and comparing them

• Pointing is a task the dogs perform, it does not necessarily mean they are related. Pointers track game birds through the brush by scent, and point out the location of the bird once it stops. Each country seems to have its own pointer: In the US, the (German) Weimaraner and (Hungarian) Viszla are relatively popular. There's also a French Pointer, Italian Pointer, etc.The German Shorthair Pointer retrieves as well as points. It is a versatile hunting dog.According to the German Wikipedia, the GSP is descended from the Bloodhound and the old Spanish Pointer, crossed later with the (English) Pointer and Foxhound.

• Two different breeds:http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services/public/breed/display.aspx?id=2042http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services/public/breed/display.aspx?id=2035To find out which would be more suitable for you, you'd have to contact the breed clubs and get details of breeders of both breeds to tell you the differences in temperament, lifestyle and needs

• A pointer doesn't have hair - it is normally made of wood, but can be made from aluminium, plastic, etc.A Pointer does have hair - pointing is a breed-function, with members of each such breed selected throughout the centuries for the ability & instinct to air-scent ground-birds hiding in vegetation then stop and "aim" itself (typically with one fore-leg raised and "frozen" in position) at where the bird is, to thus "point " to where the human hunter should throw a net over that vegetation, or draw his bow or musket ready to shoot the bird when it leaps to escape.Punctuation MATTERS - learn that every word in a special noun requires a capital initial (the exception being internal connectives such as "of").From history:• 1859 : World's first dog show, held at Newcastle-on-Tyne; a social affair held by English aristocrats to raise funds for charity, with classes for Pointers & Setters onlyTo start learning about the MANY breeds of Pointer, click http://www.fci.be/nomenclature.aspxTo a hunter, or to a conformation-show judge, the small differences have importance, but to a pet-only owner they are irrelevant, except that you have a wider choice if you choose a breed that is highly popular.But ALWAYS first decide what YOU want to do with a pet. THAT determines whether you• can accept a pet from breed-rescue or an SPCA shelter, or• MUST seek an established breeder with a great reputation in that particular aspect of canine endeavour, and who supplies a WORTHWHILE printed-&-signed Guarantee stating the compensation you will receive if genetic disorders arise during a specified number of years.And make sure you KNOW what certificates the foundation club of your preferred breed recommends - and learn the SIGNIFICANCE and MEANING of those certificates, so that you know to shun (except from rescue/shelter) a litter whose parents & grandparents lack those certificates. For rescue/shelter dogs you MUST maintain comprehensive veterinary-insurance as, without knowing the genetics of their ancestors, you cannot tell how safe or risky the pup's developmental genetics are. But NEVER give your puppy-money to any of a con-artist, an ignorant BYBer, a pet-shop or its puppy-miller suppliers. Giving any of THEM money just encourages the sods to keep on pumping out their low-quality "product" and ruining the reputation of the breeds they claim to be supplying.â—™ Add http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/The_GSD_Source to your browser's Bookmarks or Favorites so that you can easily look up such as rescue groups, feeding, vaccinations, worming, clubs, teething, neutering, size, diseases, genetics.â—™ To ask about a breed, join some of the YahooGroups dedicated to various aspects of living with them. If you don't know how, click my group's hot-link then, in the centre near the top where it says [Search for other groups], type the proper name of the breed. (For a cross-breed, either use the one he/she is most like, or do separate Searches for each parental breed).Each group's Home page tells you which aspects they like to discuss, and how active they are. Unlike YA, they are set up so that you can have an ongoing discussion with follow-up questions for clarification. Most allow you to include photos in your messages.Les P, owner of GSD_Friendly: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/GSD_Friendly"In GSDs" as of 1967