Does this sound like a good dog breeder?

I am asking for a friend, not myself. She is looking to purchase a pet Afghan Hound. The breeder she is going to currently has a litter, both parents are AKC Champions, the mother is OFA Good. However, they are not a member of the Afghan Hound Club of…

I am asking for a friend, not myself. She is looking to purchase a pet Afghan Hound. The breeder she is going to currently has a litter, both parents are AKC Champions, the mother is OFA Good. However, they are not a member of the Afghan Hound Club of…...
    Dog Breed Discussions : Does this sound like a good dog breeder?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Does this sound like a good dog breeder?

Does this sound like a good dog breeder? Dog Breed Discussions
      I am asking for a friend, not myself. She is looking to purchase a pet Afghan Hound. The breeder she is going to currently has a litter, both parents are AKC Champions, the mother is OFA Good. However, they are not a member of the Afghan Hound Club of America, and don't always do health screening, like the sire. Is this a good breeder? Here is a link to their page:http://www.hosanna1.com/

Does this sound like a good dog breeder? Dog Breed Discussions
    • I could not view the website well as I use Firefox. It appears very cluttered, so not sure.However, I would be suspicious of anyone who did not belong to their parent breed club and definitely of anyone who did not do all health screening. Just MHO. #ADDED: "Great Dog" - do not do your PETA ranting here please!The best "breed" of dog is a dog in need?? Oxymoronic statement. How ridiculous. The best dog is the one that is guaranteed to have care for it's entire life and never needing the help of a charity or rescue organisation - i.e. the dog bred by a caring breeder with a committment to it for LIFE. The only dogs in need of rescue are those bred by irresponsible breeders.

• I would be more concerned about the fact that they don't list health clearances than they haven't joined their breed club. There are a lot of politics in clubs and many don't choose to be a part of the drama.

• There is no such thing as a good breeder!Most people know to avoid puppy mills and "backyard" breeders. But many kind individuals fall prey to the picket-fence appeal of so-called "responsible" breeders and fail to recognize that no matter how kindly a breeder treats his or her animals, as long as dogs and cats are dying in animal shelters and pounds because of a lack of homes, no breeding can be considered "responsible."There is no excuse for breeding or for supporting breeders. If you love animals and are ready to care for a cat or a dog for the rest of the animal's life, please adopt from your local animal shelter, where there are dogs and cats galore—tails wagging and hearts filled with hope, looking out through the cage bars, just waiting to find someone to love. Shelters receive new animals every day, so if you don't find the perfect companion to match your lifestyle on your first visit, keep checking back. When you find your new best friend, you'll be glad that you chose to save a life—and made a new best friend as well.Producing animals for sale is a greedy and callous business in a world where there is a critical and chronic shortage of good homes for dogs, cats, and other animals, and the only "responsible breeders" are ones who, upon learning about their contribution to the overpopulation crisis, spay or neuter their animals, and get out of the business altogether.Those who breed millions of dogs and cats each year for profit are contributing to the companion animal overpopulation crisis. Every newborn puppy or kitten means one home fewer for a dog or cat desperately waiting in a shelter or roaming the streets.Producing more animals—either to make money or to obtain a certain "look" or characteristic—is also harmful to the animals who are produced by breeding. Dogs and cats don't care whether their physical appearance conforms to a judge's standards, yet they are the ones who suffer the consequences of humans' manipulation. Inbreeding causes painful and life-threatening genetic defects in "purebred" dogs and cats, including crippling hip dysplasia, blindness, deafness, heart defects, skin problems, and epilepsy. Distorting animals for specific physical features also causes severe health problems. The short, pushed-up noses of bulldogs and pugs, for example, can make exercise and even normal breathing difficult for these animals. Dachshunds' long spinal columns often cause back problems, including disk disease.All breeders fuel the companion animal overpopulation crisis, and every time someone purchases a puppy or a kitten instead of adopting from an animal shelter, homeless animals lose their chance of finding a home—and will be euthanized. Many breeders don't require every puppy or kitten to be spayed or neutered prior to purchase, so the animals they sell can soon have litters of their own, creating even more animals to fill homes that could have gone to shelter animals—or who will end up in animal shelters or so-called "no-kill" animal warehouses themselves. Simply put, for every puppy or kitten who is deliberately produced by any breeder, a shelter animal dies.The Best Breed is a dog in need!http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1740358/the_best_breed_is_a_dog_in_need.html?cat=53

• Many breeders don't join the national breed club because sometimes they are very political and there are few benefits to membership. It is unfortunate that they did not health screen the sire because it doesn' t speak well of their desire to produce healthy pups. I tried to look at their website, but it is terrible and I find it funny that they are a web design business. I can't imagine they have many clients when their own site is so awful. That being said, tell your friend to keep looking. The right dog is out there, for sure.