I am looking for the perfect dog, can you help me?

I want a dog who doesn't shed much at all but is a larger breed with very little health problems. I want a male puppy and I want it to be quiet, trainable, low cost, little maintenance, likes other animals, and is lovable and likes to cuddle.

I am looking for the perfect dog, can you help me?

I want a dog who doesn't shed much at all but is a larger breed with very little health problems. I want a male puppy and I want it to be quiet, trainable, low cost, little maintenance, likes other animals, and is lovable and likes to cuddle....
    General Dog Discussions : I am looking for the perfect dog, can you help me?...

• I know that Boy Shelties (Mini collies) are really good and pertectful dogs. They LOVE to cuddle!

• I have an English Staffishire bull terriers,but you can also get American Staffishire bull terriers.They have the same lovely temperament.They are great with children.They are nicknamed the human dog,as people who own swear that they understand you.The are recommended for people who are asthmatic as they barely shed.They are a medium dog.For full breeds they hardily ever get sick.

• Good luck. I see a couple of things of concern with your question:1. "I want a larger breed with very little health problems."All large breed dogs have the potential to have health problems. The only way to guarantee a healthy dog is to get an adult, and then you can only guarantee it's free of skeletal and genetic health concerns, like allergies and hip dysplasia, which plague large breed dogs.2. "I want a male puppy..."The fact that you want a puppy means that you are going to have a really hard time finding a dog guaranteed to be healthy. I paid over $800 for my Golden Retriever, and even though he comes with a health guarantee, there is no actual guarantee. The breeder will just pay for medical expenses if he does have some sort of genetic disorder.3. "I want it to be quiet..."This isn't breed specific, it's dog specific. I have known some very loud Yorkies and some very quiet Yorkies, some very loud Labs and some very quiet Labs. The ONLY way to determine whether a dog is going to be a big barker is to get an adult. A dogs personality isn't set until they are fully grown, and it's not possible to tell what a pup is going to be like full grown until that pup is full grown.4. "...trainable..."By that, you probably mean "smart" but don't know what you're getting in to. "Smart" and "little maintenance" are at odds with each other, because a smart dog requires a lot of maintenance as they tend to get bored and will develop very bad habits if left to their own devices. If you really just meant "trainable" then this is a pointless question. Every dog is trainable if their owner knows what they are doing. I once had a dog that was actually certifiably retarded. Had a brain disorder. Right now I've got a dog who was bred from obedience champion lines, and has proof of "intelligence" going back 6 generations. Both dogs are equally trainable; the TRAINER just has to be smart enough to handle them.5. "...low cost..."There is no such thing. The free dog on the side of the road will cost you hundreds in shots, dewormings, vet bills, food, obedience classes, toys, etc. The thousand dollar dog will cost you more to start out with and less in the long run. There is no "cheap" dog. And if you want to have a low cost dog and skimp on things like food, buying cheap brands (i.e., anything you can find at WalMart) your dog will die at a young age after you have spent thousands on vet bills to correct its health problems. There is no such thing as a cheap dog.6. "...little maintenance..."Again, there is no such thing as a low maintenance, smart dog. You can't have both. A smart dog is very high maintenance as they will get bored and chew, dig, or bark. You must spend a lot of time with them. A dog who won't get bored as easily is also not likely to be into cuddling, because they are more aloof.7. "...likes other animals..."This is entirely how you raise the dog. If you socialize the puppy during it's 8-12 week imprint period, and let it have lots of good experiences with lots of different animals, then yes, it will like other animals. Otherwise, it will be either aggressive or fearful towards them. This is not breed specific, but handler specific.8. "...is lovable and likes to cuddle."Any dog will do!!! ;)You are right when you said you are looking for "the perfect dog". You want a piece of lawn furniture that will come to life when you say the magic words. I hate to tell you this, but the dog you are looking for doesn't exist. You are going to have to change some of your list if you ever want a realistic expectation of what to have in a dog. Good luck! :)

• I would suggest a german shepard. However, let me tell ya, they shed a LOT. I have a german shepard that my family rescued. She was abused and right now she is very happy with us. German shepards a very good friends...to everybody. They do shed a lot though...lol...my mom makes me vacuum the house every weekend. My dog LOVES to cuddle! She'll jump in my bed and just lay down right next to me.

• For fewer health problems,lower vets bills overall, and a lower cost of purchase you need to look for a suitable cross breed. They benefit from something called 'hybrid vigour' that pure breds and mongrels don't have.All dogs shed but you need one that's short coated, they need a brush every day to remove the loose hair. Or a dog that needs clipping such as an Airdale or Standard Poodle. Both these breeds need a lot of exercise and are not quiet, sedate breeds.Unfortunately its the rest of your requirements that are a problem. I'm not sure what you mean by 'low maintenance'. All dogs are high maintenance, some are higher than others. Plus you want a dog that's both low maintenance and affectionate - when you want it to be.You can't turn a dog on and off! Your new dog will need a lot of training for the first 6 weeks to help him settle in, and teach him the ground rules.The closest I can think of is an Irish Wolfhound . They need a good long walk every day and a good run, but settle down at home. Irish Wolfhounds make good crosses, unlike some other breeds. Or a Newfoundland. Unless you get a rescue they won't be cheap. Plus big dogs need a lot of food. The cheapest dog food is sacks of kennel ration which you can get at some of the larger pet stores.Be realistic about how much a dog costs to purchase and keep, and about how much time they need. You'd feel bad if you went ahead without planning carefully, and then realised you'd made a mistake.

• I am biased, because the only dog I rate is a Boxer. Boxer bitches are the most loving, loyal, gentle creatures on the planet. In Victorian times, they were often used to guard children in the nursery! Dogs are a different matter. But they do not shed, have no more health problems than any other pedigree, and contrary to popular belief are intelligent enough to train. Bitches are also an ok size.

• answer...a labradoodle.......all the laid back, faithful, calm personality of a labrador with the added intelligence of the poodle....wool hair...no hairs!

• Try looking in an animal shelter. Most of the dogs there are already trained and need a loving home. Talk to one of the volunteer there and tell them what you are looking for. If you dont find what you are looking for there, go back next week to see if they have new dogs in.

• a greyhound they are very trainable and loveable also if you get the puppy from a very young age. also it will not find anything wierd about living with another animal because it will have been it's life style for most of it's life