Would my dog with impaired sight benefit from a companion?

My dog has recently and suddenly lost her sight due to brain damage under anaesthetic. I have read articles where dogs have benefitted from having another dog as a companion. I am concerned as our dog has never lived with another dog before and as a new…

My dog has recently and suddenly lost her sight due to brain damage under anaesthetic. I have read articles where dogs have benefitted from having another dog as a companion. I am concerned as our dog has never lived with another dog before and as a new…...
    General Dog Discussions : Would my dog with impaired sight benefit from a companion?...

• Would my dog with impaired sight benefit from a companion?

Would my dog with impaired sight benefit from a companion? General Dog Discussions
      My dog has recently and suddenly lost her sight due to brain damage under anaesthetic. I have read articles where dogs have benefitted from having another dog as a companion. I am concerned as our dog has never lived with another dog before and as a new addition would likely be a puppy. I would be greatful to hear of anyone's thoughts on this possible disruption, and any other ideas on recuperation.Thanks

Would my dog with impaired sight benefit from a companion? General Dog Discussions
    • It may be too overwhelming for your dog. Not only would it be a stranger in the home, a new dog is not able to be seen, causing even more stress.Your best bet would be to get the dog used to walking on leash with you and SLOWLY see how she reacts to stranger dogs in the area or near her. If there's fear, then no. If she sort of handles it, try taking her down to the local shelter and see how she deals with being in a small room with a potential adoptee. They usually have a dog behaviorist on staff, they can give you suggestions.But right now, she's used to the safety of being the only dog in the house, keeping her stress levels low is a good idea. Given the fact she may have other tweeking going on with the brain damage as well, play it slow and cautious and watch her for the right cues.

• Certainly NOT a puppy - that would stress and confuse her terribly, last thing she needs now that she's blind.She will adjust to your home just fine, try not to move any furniture around and she will remember where everything is and not be confused. Blind dogs do fine in their familiar surroundings, my friend has one and she's even fine at my house, she's familiar with it.That said, we do have an adult dog, her size, who somehow seemed to know this dog was blind, it was very sweet, he picked up her leash (my friend had left it on her when she arrived so that she could help her easily), then he led her around our house as if to say "let me show you the place".Your dog needs familiar surroundings, not a new puppy to stress her. Another dog to help her find her way would be great, but it would have to be a dog who knows your house, is calm, and is used to her -- not some active, bouncy puppy just brought in.

• I would not take a chance on a new puppy or grown dog at this point. Losing her sight quickly, rather than gradually is enough stress for her to handle. Did your vet tell you whether he thought this was temporary or not?